HTC J Butterfly - Will we get a similar device running WP8?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
HOLY ****.

HOLY FREAKING ****.

88%20WOLF%20WHISTLE%207.jpg

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nope, WP only supports up to 1280x768 screens. Probably be WP9 before 1080p screens are supported, by then good old andy would be up to 2K resolutions! :D

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
S4 PRO
5" display
1080p resolution
Android

2020 mAh battery

...Something tells me the battery life might be a disappointment.

But then to the question itself: Yes on the display size, no on the 1080p resolution, not sure on the S4 pro. WP8 has pretty standardized HW so there's not going to be S4 PRO devices until MS is ready.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
In this forum there have been many many discussions and threads talking about the value and need for hardware feature X..and this is not one of them.

I repeat for the Nth time...this is not a message about the need for HW feature X.

As Theeman mentioned above:
Nope, WP only supports up to 1280x768 screens. Probably be WP9 before 1080p screens are supported, by then good old andy would be up to 2K resolutions!
"It's funny because its true" ~ homer simpsons

There is a pink elephant in the room and it's the pace or cadence of WP OS development and it is having a real world impact. I've never seen a track runner catch the leader by running at the same pace (...well, I guess if the leader fell down).

OEM for the foreseeable future will always try to push hardware specs as a key differentiator and if the underlying OS can't support X feature then guess what...they won't make match their HW with the OS.

As of Oct/2012 WP can't support 1920x1080,quad-core and etc (plz no arguments about X feature is not needed) so the hardware on this J Butterfly, or LG Optimus G or Nokia 808 isn't even and option. I repeat, OEM putting their latest R&D products on WP is not an option b/c of the OS limitation. I know user X doesn't need feature X for their use case scenario and that's fine. It's about the OEM putting their very best and lastest R&D hardware in the market and installing WP OS on it.

There is something about the perception about being first to market with hardware feature X. It brands you as a leader and not a 'me too' brand. And as we all know, perceptions becomes reality. MS needs to make sure that whenever a new HW feature coming that they are the primary OS for showcasing that feature and not a 'me too' OS 6 months later.

MS isn't helping matters with their spin doctoring. They say WP only needs 1 core so that's why there no OS support...so OEM never gave them their best as HW is the only differentiator they have . On their Surface products when questioned about why it doesn't have the resolution similar to an ipad, instead of stating the obvious, they tried to explain that 1366x768 was better than 2048x1536.

~ Raise your hand if you think your SD is actually in the real world better than your HDTV or 4K projector.

~ Raise your hand again if you think that Surface Gen 2 will have a higher resolution, thus invalidating their claim that higher resolution is not needed?

Now back to our regularly scheduled show :D

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
If I had the choice between a) a 5 inch with 1080p and b) a 5 inch with 768p with the same battery... I'd take b) in a heartbeat. I don't like the way these hardware trends are going. But I like the way that Nokia/Microsoft are focussing on other components of a good display with the 920/Surface. I think display resolution of mobiles have reached some kind of a peak - let's focus on other things now!

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
...But I like the way that Nokia/Microsoft are focussing on other components of a good display with the 920/Surface. I think display resolution of mobiles have reached some kind of a peak - let's focus on other things now!

I do believe its time to focus on other things (cough software) but something gets under my skin when I hear excuses.

Imagine a world where Ford or Honda explained their lack of iPod/USB Audio integration by quoting mountains of research that showed consumers still listen to CD more than MP3 so there no need to add that to their 2013 line of cars. Or most people print out their directions so there no real need for in-dash navigation.

p.s I would never get a 5 inch phone...I would just purchase a 7" tablet and throw it in my man purse (err messenger bag )

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the true hardware features I want from this HTC device would be the IGZO tech and being water jet-resistant (IPX5).

Still, at least Nokia has a phone with OIS, something truly revolutionary. What is needed for WP to succeed will be to race ahead. But given the pace of the leaders, doubt is creeping in my mind whether MS knows it is lagging ever so slightly at the mobile races. MS, get your thing together.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Is OIS revolutionary enough though? The 920 camera seems on be on equal footing with the GS3/Iphone5/OneX while shooting day light pictures and quality of the video.

The edge comes on dark shootings and stabilization. Things that are needed yes, but is it really worth the trade off? I personally won't believe that's enough for people to say "I'm going to abandon IOS/Android to get this phone.

Look at what the future holds, this HTC phone will have better processor (This processor mind you, will be already in the excellent top of the line Note II, Optimus G, OneX+), Huge display, insane resolution, waterproof (why isn't this standard?).

While the 920 definitely would had hold it's own at the beggining of the year, it will be a bit behind when it comes out this November and obsolete by next year if this HTC will be the norm.

Other Windows Phone are paring even worse, the 8X and ATIV don't have a huge diferentiator like OIS. Hardware wise, the future looks bleak. And please saying Android is laggy is not really an excuse right now, later devices are smooth as ever, specially Jelly Bean ones.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Even if I have a friend who has an Evo 4g LTE that is less than a month old that lags and freezes constantly?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Is OIS revolutionary enough though? The 920 camera seems on be on equal footing with the GS3/Iphone5/OneX while shooting day light pictures and quality of the video.

It isn't the be-all, end all of features, but it is something that should be advertised in its completed form.

The edge comes on dark shootings and stabilization. Things that are needed yes, but is it really worth the trade off? I personally won't believe that's enough for people to say "I'm going to abandon IOS/Android to get this phone.

I don't believe it either, but the combination of features of OIS, wireless charging, super sensitive touchscreen and bright, vivid colours and this may sway a few buyers this holiday season.

Look at what the future holds, this HTC phone will have better processor (This processor mind you, will be already in the excellent top of the line Note II, Optimus G, OneX+), Huge display, insane resolution, waterproof (why isn't this standard?).

Just note, the waterproof is only really just water-jet proof, not exactly sink-your-phone-into-liquid-and-it-will-be-fine waterproof. Though I agree with you, that's a good thing and should be a standard.

While the 920 definitely would had hold it's own at the beggining of the year, it will be a bit behind when it comes out this November and obsolete by next year if this HTC will be the norm.

I don't think it is so behind, but certainly, quad core is needed for marketing purposes at least. And the S4 Pro is a good platform, so I hope Nokia adapts it quickly.

Other Windows Phone are paring even worse, the 8X and ATIV don't have a huge diferentiator like OIS. Hardware wise, the future looks bleak. And please saying Android is laggy is not really an excuse right now, later devices are smooth as ever, specially Jelly Bean ones.

This is one of the issues facing WP, that WP doesn't have killer hardware from the other manufacturers, and that sort of makes Nokia the trend-setter by default. At least till MS comes up with their own hardware. And Androids are getting better, but still, they are messy.

What I hope to come from MS though is a sense of the future rather than chasing the 'present'. At the rate they are going, they will only be perpetual challengers.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Even if I have a friend who has an Evo 4g LTE that is less than a month old that lags and freezes constantly?

You don't know what lag is until you open Slacker Radio on my Optimus 7. I'm talking about 5 second delay between each swipe.

I want the best, Windows Phone 8 devices are going to cost the same as their high end Android counterparts but don't offer near enough. What happened to the Trend setter Microsoft? They won't catch up at this pace, when none release device have worst specs that phones that came out months ago. What are they thinking?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Even though my present evo lags and freezes and aggrevates me, it's not 5 seconds. I probably would have thrown it against the wall by now.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't blame the OS entirely, is mostly that Slacker Radio can't give two **** about this OS. So is not optimize. I'm not exagerating when I'm telling you that between opening the app and music starting play it takes around 8 minutes. That's a quarter of my morning commute musicless. =(

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Imagine a world where Ford or Honda explained their lack of iPod/USB Audio integration by quoting mountains of research that showed consumers still listen to CD more than MP3 so there no need to add that to their 2013 line of cars. Or most people print out their directions so there no real need for in-dash navigation.

I don't think your comparison is adequate though. I simply dont think that customers would notice the difference between a ~332dpi and a ~441dpi display. So they wouldn't miss it like they would miss MP3 support with their CD Audio. But they would notice the battery difference. Using 768p on a 5-inch-display still would be ~298 dpi. I simply hate the fact that nowadays display quality is measured by its dpi value.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism