The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-21-2012 02:21 PM
51 123
tools
    CDMA phones in Asia have a CDMA SIM type card for switching carriers, like GSM phones.
    For what it's worth, Verizon's LTE phones also have SIM cards.
    palandri likes this.
    10-18-2012 01:26 PM
    For what it's worth, Verizon's LTE phones also have SIM cards.
    That's interesting, someone else had mentioned that. Which generates a couple of other questions:

Can the phone be unlocked?

Can you use a SIM card from another carrier if you go overseas?

Is there GSM backup frequencies if you go overseas and LTE isn't available
    10-18-2012 01:37 PM
    All of that depends on the phone. The Verizon iPhone 5 actually comes unlocked and can even be used on AT&T 3G. Most Verizon Android phones are at least able to use GSM frequencies overseas, even if they can't use the 850/1900mhz GSM here in the States. Some come locked, but Verizon will generally unlock them for overseas use if you ask nicely.

The fact that the Snapdragon S4 SoC supports GSM and CDMA means that there are virtually no hardware differences between GSM and CDMA versions of any given Android or, presumably, WP8 phone (e.g. the Galaxy S3).

This rumor makes absolutely zero sense to me.
    palandri likes this.
    10-18-2012 01:48 PM
    That's interesting, someone else had mentioned that. Which generates a couple of other questions:

Well, the voice is still carried by CDMA2000 which doesn't use a SIM card. Maybe there's a way to unlock the LTE SIM, but then you would need to be in range of an LTE network that runs on the same frequency. And even then you wouldn't be able to use voice at all.

Maybe things will be different once everything switches to Voice over LTE, but that's a ways off yet.
    palandri likes this.
    10-18-2012 01:52 PM
    Well, the voice is still carried by CDMA2000 which doesn't use a SIM card. Maybe there's a way to unlock the LTE SIM, but then you would need to be in range of an LTE network that runs on the same frequency. And even then you wouldn't be able to use voice at all.

Maybe things will be different once everything switches to Voice over LTE, but that's a ways off yet.
    It's not actually that complicated. The SIM card has nothing to do with the type of network being used; the fact that the two CDMA carriers in the U.S. chose not to use them until recently is coincidental. All it does is hold subscriber info (and, optionally, some address book entries) so the carriers can identify devices on a network.

Until the birth of their LTE networks, Verizon and Sprint (aside from their Nextel phones, which always had SIM cards) chose to have this information stored on the phone rather than a removable card. Now they use SIM cards like everyone else. You can swap Verizon SIM cards between Verizon 4G phones and it'll work just like swapping SIM cards between GSM devices does.

Interestingly enough, CDMA-based networks in Asia commonly used SIM cards even before the advent of 4G. The avoidance of SIM cards on CDMA networks was mostly prevalent in North America. The GSM standard enforced the use of SIM cards, which is why they became associated with one another.
    thed likes this.
    10-19-2012 08:52 AM
    Oh good, now someone has gone and posted the rumor on reddit with a horribly misleading title. And it's #9 on the front page.

Maybe this will force someone who knows what the eff they're talking about to step forward and confirm/deny this rumor.

If Daily Mobile was looking for clickbait, they got it.
    10-19-2012 09:43 AM
    I can see Verizon having a fit for MS to not allow bloatware on the phone.

Hopefully it is not true verizon would cancel cuz of no bloatware on the phone, but who knows, verizon sucks!
    10-19-2012 10:26 AM
    My buddy had his hands on training next weekend postponed. He wasn't told why, but it happened. Not looking good.
    10-19-2012 10:54 AM
    My buddy had his hands on training next weekend postponed. He wasn't told why, but it happened. Not looking good.
    That's not good news at all. I'm really aching to buy a smartphone soon (sold my Galaxy Nexus 2 months ago in anticipation of WP8) and am finding it harder to resist immediate gratification. While I can see myself waiting until after Microsoft's WP8 event on the 29th, if there aren't any details regarding a Verizon release, I may have to go with something else, especially if there is a compelling Nexus device. I'd definitely prefer to go with WP8 but I can't wait forever.
    10-19-2012 11:19 AM
    Honestly, if this rumor does end up being true, I'm not sure who to be more angry at. Leaning towards Microsoft because of their general ineptitude handling this whole thing from the start. After all, Verizon hasn't announced anything; what more could they do to not get my hopes up?
    10-19-2012 11:21 AM
    That's not good news at all. I'm really aching to buy a smartphone soon (sold my Galaxy Nexus 2 months ago in anticipation of WP8) and am finding it harder to resist immediate gratification. While I can see myself waiting until after Microsoft's WP8 event on the 29th, if there aren't any details regarding a Verizon release, I may have to go with something else, especially if there is a compelling Nexus device. I'd definitely prefer to go with WP8 but I can't wait forever.
    I'm kinda in the same boat. My contract is up in may so I have a bit more time. However, if there are no windows phones by then I'm going to sprint. I refuse to pay an off contract price for a non windows phone, which I would have to do to keep my unlimited data.
    10-19-2012 11:23 AM
    It's not actually that complicated. The SIM card has nothing to do with the type of network being used; the fact that the two CDMA carriers in the U.S. chose not to use them until recently is coincidental. All it does is hold subscriber info (and, optionally, some address book entries) so the carriers can identify devices on a network.

Until the birth of their LTE networks, Verizon and Sprint (aside from their Nextel phones, which always had SIM cards) chose to have this information stored on the phone rather than a removable card. Now they use SIM cards like everyone else. You can swap Verizon SIM cards between Verizon 4G phones and it'll work just like swapping SIM cards between GSM devices does.

Interestingly enough, CDMA-based networks in Asia commonly used SIM cards even before the advent of 4G. The avoidance of SIM cards on CDMA networks was mostly prevalent in North America. The GSM standard enforced the use of SIM cards, which is why they became associated with one another.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
    10-19-2012 11:42 AM
    It is the scourge of Verizon's proprietary CDMA network. Decent coverage but lousy device selection and availability.
    10-19-2012 03:23 PM
    I just posted this in another thread, but thought it should be here too.

I was just at a Microsoft Store for my lunch break, and a Verizon Wireless Premium Reseller rep came in and was talking to one of the Microsoft employees. I joined their conversation about WP8. I asked him what he knew about devices they were getting. He said he thought they were getting the 8x in both Black and Red, along with one color of the 8s. He also said they were going to get the Ativ S, and a Nokia model. He wasn't sure about which Nokia model it would be. He was expecting an announcement before the end of the month, with availability possibly starting 11/4 for some models, and hoping more would be in place by Black Friday.
    10-19-2012 03:55 PM
    Here's the article. It is only a rumor, but since Verizon has not announced any devices yet, it makes sense.

Daily Mobile Exclusive! WP8 Phones Could be Delayed or Even Canceled On Verizon | Daily Mobile
    Not that this is saying much of nothing but I was in Verizon store today and there 1 and only wp was not on the floor anymore. When i asked about it the guy said if I really wanted it he could still order it for me.
    10-19-2012 06:47 PM
    Not that this is saying much of nothing but I was in Verizon store today and there 1 and only wp was not on the floor anymore. When i asked about it the guy said if I really wanted it he could still order it for me.
    I'm not too surprised; I can't imagine that they're selling too many HTC Trophy devices at this point. One optimistic way of interpreting that would be to guess that they're pulling it because WP8 devices are coming soon.

That phone must be one of the oldest devices that they currently sell.
    10-19-2012 08:35 PM

1: Not locked. 3G global phones are locked mostly to prevent roaming accidents, which is why we go through a bunch of FYI stuff before unlocking them. Essentially, no matter who's sim you stick in a 3G phone, the CDMA radio still has your US number programmed in, meaning you're dual NAMing. (Running multiple phone numbers from the same device.) So before unlocking the phone, reps have to go through a bunch of "we're not responsible for your roaming charges" thing. There is no danger of this with the 4G phones, as the LTE SIM handles CDMA as well, much like the chinese carriers.

2 and 3: Depends on the phone and what technologies are available. Mileage my vary. For what it's worth, on phones that have no GSM available, I've had customers pull off 4G data-only connections in some places. Some phones have GSM available (like the RAZR), some don't (like the Thunderbolt), and some are waiting on firmware upgrades (Galaxy S3). We can't guarantee the phones will work on ANY other carrier, but you're welcome to try!

For what it's worth, I can't think of anything running on our phones that would prevent an entire OS launch. But then again, I just troubleshoot the internet connections.

Also, yes, last I checked the Trophy is on clearance. Honestly, with the way things typically go, I take this as a sign of new phones coming. Also, postponed trainings are usually due to call volume and how many reps are available. If they have a sudden influx, trainings get delayed or postponed.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 10-19-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    palandri likes this.
    10-19-2012 10:27 PM
    I just find it weird that Verizon employees are going through hands on wp8 training next week. Why dump money into something that isn't happening?
    Where is the announcement, or even rumor substantiated with some vague confirmation, that there will be training next week? So far, the only thing I have seen on that one is the classic my friend's, cousin's, sister's, ex-husband's, dog said there is training. Anyone can stand up and say they heard there will be training but if it is not backed up by hard facts, it is another rumor, just as this whole story is a rumor (to date).

What can be said is this story has not gone away and had spun in different directions by the end of the week, with no confirmation or denial out of any of the parties. One of the end of week speculations was that it had nothing to do with phone provisioning which as been worked out since the HTC Trophy, but was about Microsoft locking down security and consumer privacy components that VZW wants open. It is still just a rumor but VZW was restating its commitment to privacy at the end of the week which had some people wondering since the furor of a week earlier had already blown over. Granted, I have always assumed that is one of the reasons VZW has always been so completely in bed with Android. As far as using an Android device goes, there is a level at which it is the equivalent of taking a shower in a glass house. VZW likes stuff they can customize as they see fit to extract user data they want.
    10-20-2012 02:04 PM
    well, I've seen the post on CNBC's website and over on TomsHardware and I also think i saw it in the Tech News section on Yahoo. I personally find it hard to believe that this is just now become such a major issue for Verizon. As long as Verizon get's things worked out before the end of the year I'll be happy.
    10-20-2012 02:45 PM
    Where is the announcement, or even rumor substantiated with some vague confirmation, that there will be training next week? So far, the only thing I have seen on that one is the classic my friend's, cousin's, sister's, ex-husband's, dog said there is training. Anyone can stand up and say they heard there will be training but if it is not backed up by hard facts, it is another rumor, just as this whole story is a rumor (to date).

What can be said is this story has not gone away and had spun in different directions by the end of the week, with no confirmation or denial out of any of the parties. One of the end of week speculations was that it had nothing to do with phone provisioning which as been worked out since the HTC Trophy, but was about Microsoft locking down security and consumer privacy components that VZW wants open. It is still just a rumor but VZW was restating its commitment to privacy at the end of the week which had some people wondering since the furor of a week earlier had already blown over. Granted, I have always assumed that is one of the reasons VZW has always been so completely in bed with Android. As far as using an Android device goes, there is a level at which it is the equivalent of taking a shower in a glass house. VZW likes stuff they can customize as they see fit to extract user data they want.
    That's cool, you can call me a liar and question my integrity.
    10-20-2012 03:31 PM
    Paul Thurrott of WinSuperSite called the delay rumor bullsh*t on Twitter, and that's good enough for me. He has close ties to Microsoft and generally has advance knowledge of these things. Recently, he was the first to report when the first Surface ad would air and when Surface pricing/pre-orders would be announced.

At the very least, his word is worth more to me than a website that had never posted anything notable before that (Daily Mobile). Every other site that re-posted the rumor got it from that one source; no one had corroborating evidence.

This rumor and thread should both die.
    10-20-2012 03:35 PM
    We have two long-time members who reported that either they or someone they knew had hands-on training scheduled next week. As I said in another thread, I'd like to think that we don't have a rash of people here who post normally 99% of the time but use the remaining 1% to pose as Verizon employees and lie to get our hopes up.
    10-20-2012 03:36 PM
    Guys let's not fight over some baseless rumors.
    Last edited by Winterfang; 10-20-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    10-20-2012 04:05 PM
    A friend of mine in the PR biz tells me that this "rumor" is classic dirty tricks FUD.
    10-21-2012 12:17 PM
    The only delay I can foresee is getting VZ Navigator and back up assistant running on the phones.
    10-21-2012 02:12 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD