Daily Mobile is reporting that Verizon may outright cancel WP8

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Not that this is saying much of nothing but I was in Verizon store today and there 1 and only wp was not on the floor anymore. When i asked about it the guy said if I really wanted it he could still order it for me.

I'm not too surprised; I can't imagine that they're selling too many HTC Trophy devices at this point. One optimistic way of interpreting that would be to guess that they're pulling it because WP8 devices are coming soon.

That phone must be one of the oldest devices that they currently sell.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting, someone else had mentioned that. Which generates a couple of other questions:

Can the phone be unlocked?

Can you use a SIM card from another carrier if you go overseas?

Is there GSM backup frequencies if you go overseas and LTE isn't available

1: Not locked. 3G global phones are locked mostly to prevent roaming accidents, which is why we go through a bunch of FYI stuff before unlocking them. Essentially, no matter who's sim you stick in a 3G phone, the CDMA radio still has your US number programmed in, meaning you're dual NAMing. (Running multiple phone numbers from the same device.) So before unlocking the phone, reps have to go through a bunch of "we're not responsible for your roaming charges" thing. There is no danger of this with the 4G phones, as the LTE SIM handles CDMA as well, much like the chinese carriers.

2 and 3: Depends on the phone and what technologies are available. Mileage my vary. For what it's worth, on phones that have no GSM available, I've had customers pull off 4G data-only connections in some places. Some phones have GSM available (like the RAZR), some don't (like the Thunderbolt), and some are waiting on firmware upgrades (Galaxy S3). We can't guarantee the phones will work on ANY other carrier, but you're welcome to try!

For what it's worth, I can't think of anything running on our phones that would prevent an entire OS launch. But then again, I just troubleshoot the internet connections.

Also, yes, last I checked the Trophy is on clearance. Honestly, with the way things typically go, I take this as a sign of new phones coming. Also, postponed trainings are usually due to call volume and how many reps are available. If they have a sudden influx, trainings get delayed or postponed.

Last edited:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I just find it weird that Verizon employees are going through hands on wp8 training next week. Why dump money into something that isn't happening?

Where is the announcement, or even rumor substantiated with some vague confirmation, that there will be training next week? So far, the only thing I have seen on that one is the classic my friend's, cousin's, sister's, ex-husband's, dog said there is training. Anyone can stand up and say they heard there will be training but if it is not backed up by hard facts, it is another rumor, just as this whole story is a rumor (to date).

What can be said is this story has not gone away and had spun in different directions by the end of the week, with no confirmation or denial out of any of the parties. One of the end of week speculations was that it had nothing to do with phone provisioning which as been worked out since the HTC Trophy, but was about Microsoft locking down security and consumer privacy components that VZW wants open. It is still just a rumor but VZW was restating its commitment to privacy at the end of the week which had some people wondering since the furor of a week earlier had already blown over. Granted, I have always assumed that is one of the reasons VZW has always been so completely in bed with Android. As far as using an Android device goes, there is a level at which it is the equivalent of taking a shower in a glass house. VZW likes stuff they can customize as they see fit to extract user data they want.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
well, I've seen the post on CNBC's website and over on TomsHardware and I also think i saw it in the Tech News section on Yahoo. I personally find it hard to believe that this is just now become such a major issue for Verizon. As long as Verizon get's things worked out before the end of the year I'll be happy.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Where is the announcement, or even rumor substantiated with some vague confirmation, that there will be training next week? So far, the only thing I have seen on that one is the classic my friend's, cousin's, sister's, ex-husband's, dog said there is training. Anyone can stand up and say they heard there will be training but if it is not backed up by hard facts, it is another rumor, just as this whole story is a rumor (to date).

What can be said is this story has not gone away and had spun in different directions by the end of the week, with no confirmation or denial out of any of the parties. One of the end of week speculations was that it had nothing to do with phone provisioning which as been worked out since the HTC Trophy, but was about Microsoft locking down security and consumer privacy components that VZW wants open. It is still just a rumor but VZW was restating its commitment to privacy at the end of the week which had some people wondering since the furor of a week earlier had already blown over. Granted, I have always assumed that is one of the reasons VZW has always been so completely in bed with Android. As far as using an Android device goes, there is a level at which it is the equivalent of taking a shower in a glass house. VZW likes stuff they can customize as they see fit to extract user data they want.

That's cool, you can call me a liar and question my integrity.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Paul Thurrott of WinSuperSite called the delay rumor bullsh*t on Twitter, and that's good enough for me. He has close ties to Microsoft and generally has advance knowledge of these things. Recently, he was the first to report when the first Surface ad would air and when Surface pricing/pre-orders would be announced.

At the very least, his word is worth more to me than a website that had never posted anything notable before that (Daily Mobile). Every other site that re-posted the rumor got it from that one source; no one had corroborating evidence.

This rumor and thread should both die.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

We have two long-time members who reported that either they or someone they knew had hands-on training scheduled next week. As I said in another thread, I'd like to think that we don't have a rash of people here who post normally 99% of the time but use the remaining 1% to pose as Verizon employees and lie to get our hopes up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3