10-22-2012 01:11 PM
47 12
tools
    Maybe I'm getting old or something, but not having the latest tech as soon as it comes out doesn't really bother me much anymore. So no, the wait isn't decreasing my excitement for WP8 in the smallest bit.

Also, we knew WP8 would be coming out in late October so I've been waiting patiently.
    Raylz, Muessig and aubreyq like this.
    10-18-2012 05:18 PM
    Maybe I'm getting old or something, but not having the latest tech as soon as it comes out doesn't really bother me much anymore. So no, the wait isn't decreasing my excitement for WP8 in the smallest bit.

Also, we knew WP8 would be coming out in late October so I've been waiting patiently.
    Never take rumors for granted. Delays are always possible.
    10-18-2012 11:04 PM
    At a moment there was rumors about the Lumia 920 being available in late septembre... so...
    10-18-2012 11:38 PM
    The only reason I find the wait to be so sucky is because Verizon is keeping their mouth shut. Verizon user's are left in the void. I can't help but feel like we're just being ignored. T-Mo and AT&T has shown off their goods and we already know that Sprint has decided to skip out on the party.
    10-18-2012 11:58 PM
    People are stating these "not excited" feelings like it's a bad thing. It's actually normal behavior. Unfortunately, the innanets lose interest quickly but it renews once release time comes out. And trust, everyone else doesn't feel that way, every else meaning WPCentral members that log on here everyday for news

I'm not excited because the hardware wasn't pleasing to me but that's another discussion
    10-19-2012 03:19 AM
    I'm completely the opposite.

The hardware is nice. But on its own, it wasn't actually that huge an advancement.

The more i hear about WP8, the more interested i get, because of all the little things, NFC, the recent videos of Skype integration, kids corner, etc
    10-19-2012 03:42 AM
    Personally I have, like other people have mentioned, have gotten pretty apathetic about WP8 in general. I am more excited about the certain hardware advances of the Lumia 920 but that's it the OS to me is sort of like "Eh its pretty similar to what I have as far as I can see"
    10-19-2012 08:39 AM
    Launch day for the ecosystem is a week away. Do you honestly think they'll delay at this stage? To this point, Microsoft's trains have been running on time - I have absolutely no reason to think there will be a delay.
    10-19-2012 09:38 AM
    Mind if I go in a different direction?

Announcements in mobile have only become important since (forgive me, everyone) the iPhone announcements were popular. Since only one a year, or one every 18 months, comes out it has become a celebration. Other tech devices have followed suit just as counter programming. Tech has it's own section in most general news sites, and these are designed to get the iPhone-style headlines.

But really, "excitement" is built in the stores. People come in, and having sales reps showing off the new, shiny phones and all their fun goodies. People who got their phone 2 years ago and now need new ones but don't keep up with mobile (the vast, VAST majority of users) will only see the Hero device status, react to the commercial promotions, and sales rep attitudes.

In other words: What in the name of Steve Ballmer's facial expressions does it matter how long it takes between the announcement and the launch? Promote, teach, and push the products when the launch happens. The excitement will come as new devices come out over the next 2 or 3 years because WP is successful.

I know I am not getting an Android just because it's taking too long.
    stmav, wolf1891, cckgz4 and 1 others like this.
    10-19-2012 09:39 AM

Announcements in mobile have only become important since (forgive me, everyone) the iPhone announcements were popular. Since only one a year, or one every 18 months, comes out it has become a celebration. Other tech devices have followed suit just as counter programming. Tech has it's own section in most general news sites, and these are designed to get the iPhone-style headlines.

But really, "excitement" is built in the stores. People come in, and having sales reps showing off the new, shiny phones and all their fun goodies. People who got their phone 2 years ago and now need new ones but don't keep up with mobile (the vast, VAST majority of users) will only see the Hero device status, react to the commercial promotions, and sales rep attitudes.

In other words: What in the name of Steve Ballmer's facial expressions does it matter how long it takes between the announcement and the launch? Promote, teach, and push the products when the launch happens. The excitement will come as new devices come out over the next 2 or 3 years because WP is successful.

I totally agree with you, and later down the road there won't be as exciting as it is now.

But in this case, that definitely is not true. In a week everything is changing - the news is huge.
    - Computer o/s is radically different.
    - New ecosystem with full integration introduced.
    - New phone hardware from multiple vendors
    - New tablet never seen before

Each point by itself is pretty significant.

Together all at once is a pretty big deal.
    stmav and Vallos like this.
    10-19-2012 09:49 AM
    Launch day for the ecosystem is a week away. Do you honestly think they'll delay at this stage? To this point, Microsoft's trains have been running on time - I have absolutely no reason to think there will be a delay.
    I'm not saying is not going to happen or that I want it not to happen, I'm saying that there's a possibility.

You never know what's happening backstage.
    10-19-2012 10:14 AM

Say that again!
    10-19-2012 12:04 PM
    Watching the summit was a completely dry event. Shocked how dry they presented everything. Jobs was so much better at presenting. MS needs to hire someone who can present excitement. Make them the VP of PR marketing or some BS position just so its not some random person presenting their events like a host of an awards show or something. The summit presenters would reveal a very cool feature and after showing its details they would pause and the audience was dead silent. No murmurs, no oooohs or ahhhhhs, or cheers. Nothing, its like everyone in the audience was asleep.

Not sure why people think excitement and hype over upcoming events is not important in the current mobile environment. The marketing is way more important than any feature. I mean you can't market worthless features, but Jobs was able to present old features like they were ground breaking and all the mac zealots would continue the preaching to everyone they know. When most people walk into a mobile store they are already looking for an iphone or android because that is what their friends are hyped up about.
    10-19-2012 01:18 PM
    I love Balmer but when you mention Windows Phone to him, his expression changes drastically it's as he feel disappointed. I like the Joe fella, he shows good demos that always impress me.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-19-2012 02:53 PM
    I love Balmer but when you mention Windows Phone to him, his expression changes drastically it's as he feel disappointed. I like the Joe fella, he shows good demos that always impress me.
    I do agree with Winterfang on this. It does seem official press releases from MS are always giving shout outs to Windows 8, or Windows RT, but unless it is specifically a WP event, no WP8 mentions at all. WP does seem to be the red-headed step child.
    10-19-2012 04:01 PM
    I don't know how Microsoft could surprise us... I hope they are bringing some serious stuff on the table.
    My thought is that Microsoft is going to demostrate WP8 completely on a device. This device will be different from anything already announced. It can't be the Ativ S, or the 8X, or the L920 because those were one trick ponies.

Microsoft will demostrate WP8 synching with Windows 8 and probably demostrate Skype, NFC, its wallet hub, IE 10 and enterprise security all with its signature partner who conveniently neglected to show its flagship device last month.

So get your popcorn ready my friends and enjoy the show with HTC's Quad Core, SLCD3 WP8 phone!

(This is my dream and I am sticking to it!)
    10-19-2012 04:45 PM
    Here is why I'm worried and giving up hope the longer and longer things drag on...

Microsoft, IMO, has nothing to show off that isn't already available on other platforms or that aren't really that exciting, and the basic things they need (seperate volume controls, VPN settings, WiFi sleep settings, the BASIC THINGS A MICROSOFT PRODUCT SHOULD HAVE) will be missing (from the leaks so far). NFC...? That's cool, but Android has it. Kid's Corner....? Ok...? Xbox Music and stuff....? Ok...? It's like everything they throw out there that is supposed to be exciting is more like "meh...". When they reveal Windows Phone 8 on the 29th it will be exactly like the iOS 6 event: dry and boring (with the exception that it will be on a worse level because...well....it's Microsoft and not APPLE...the company ppl think can do no wrong...). Everything they show off will have already been known through leaks and there will be nothing to show off that will get ppl to say "Oh ok...that's what they made us wait for". The whole "secrecy" thing is ridiculous, and if truly because the OS was SO incomplete to the point that it couldn't be fully shown off on video for 2 WHOPPING WHOLE MONTHS before their event then that's a bad sign. Couple that with the fact that developers can't take advantage of the new hardware capabilities with the new SDK because of "secrecy", and you'll have a new OS with old 7.5 apps that won't compel anyone to change or upgrade....

The other reason is because of the hardware. Yes, it is a well known fact (even amongst bloggers and reviewers that HATE windows phone) that the OS runs perfectly on single core chips, let alone dual core. What worries me is that we are following the same cycle of getting recycled SoC's like Windows Phone 7. The Adreno 225 in the S4 is weak compared to other SoC's. No, this doesn't matter for the OS, but it does matter for games and higher end apps that Microsoft preached would be coming "with ease of portability thanks to Native Code". However, this is remedied by the kernel change, making it possible for scalable hardware (64 cores or w/e they touted).

Anyway, I'm just loosing faith in Microsoft's ability to deliver and really know how to do it. I welcome the much needed changes in Apollo and new kernel change, and I will get a Windows Phone 8 device out of contract when the prices drop (Lumia 900 will be fine until then), but I can't lie when I say that I have been eyeing other platforms (all of which I have used before). I've owned a Galaxy Nexus and a 4s while still using my (now old) Lumia 710, and Windows Phone killed them in speed, efficiency, and beauty.

We'll have to see...but I'm slowly loosing faith in this OS...
    10-19-2012 04:52 PM
    Microsoft is doing everything right so I'm very excited.

Windows 8 + Windows Phone 8 + Xbox + Skydrive + Office. With shared code. What an ecosystem!
    10-19-2012 05:00 PM
    Watching the summit was a completely dry event. Shocked how dry they presented everything. Jobs was so much better at presenting. MS needs to hire someone who can present excitement. Make them the VP of PR marketing or some BS position just so its not some random person presenting their events like a host of an awards show or something. The summit presenters would reveal a very cool feature and after showing its details they would pause and the audience was dead silent. No murmurs, no oooohs or ahhhhhs, or cheers. Nothing, its like everyone in the audience was asleep.

Not sure why people think excitement and hype over upcoming events is not important in the current mobile environment. The marketing is way more important than any feature. I mean you can't market worthless features, but Jobs was able to present old features like they were ground breaking and all the mac zealots would continue the preaching to everyone they know. When most people walk into a mobile store they are already looking for an iphone or android because that is what their friends are hyped up about.
    I think people are saying there has been more hype than you seem to think, hence the pre order sellouts. And the marketing when products are released > promo wasted for announcement time and release dates are months away.
    10-19-2012 09:47 PM
    True, I may just have a past jaded view clouding my vision. Another site I am on (VWVortex) is always over flowing with apple and android hype, but very very little about WP. Its really the only litmus test I am using so could be flawed without a doubt.

Still, the presentations are VERY dry. The videos they showed did not even have sound.
    10-19-2012 09:59 PM
    I'm still excited. One thing I didn't realize for AT&T pre-orders were only going through Best Buy. Why I have no idea. So I called AT&T directly because I couldn't find a pre-order page on their site and it was a good and interesting conversation. The only downfall is they won't call me on 11/4, release date, because it's a Sunday and they are not allowed to call out on the weekends at all but can take calls. So AT&T is calling me back on the 5th, ordering my phone and they will overnight it to me. So that works all the same I guess. I also will have another week before my upgrade qualify time is actually up so I couldn't pre-order anywhere else any way so for me this worked out great. So yes my excitement is still up there for this phone. I am also getting W8 for my computer first day as well. Tablet I am going to wait on for just a bit.
    10-22-2012 11:33 AM
    I am extremely excited for the Surface and I'll be in line on the 26th when the local kiosk errr store opens. I am somewhat excited for WP8, but my excitement was later quelled when I learned the 920 wasn't going to be on Verizon, at least at launch.
    10-22-2012 01:11 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD