Microsoft event and the excitement?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I look at it this way: It's like Michelin, Pirelli and Goodyear coming out with cool new tires, then the new Ferrari is unveiled later that the tires go on.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm getting old or something, but not having the latest tech as soon as it comes out doesn't really bother me much anymore. So no, the wait isn't decreasing my excitement for WP8 in the smallest bit.

Also, we knew WP8 would be coming out in late October so I've been waiting patiently.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm getting old or something, but not having the latest tech as soon as it comes out doesn't really bother me much anymore. So no, the wait isn't decreasing my excitement for WP8 in the smallest bit.

Also, we knew WP8 would be coming out in late October so I've been waiting patiently.

Never take rumors for granted. Delays are always possible.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I find the wait to be so sucky is because Verizon is keeping their mouth shut. Verizon user's are left in the void. I can't help but feel like we're just being ignored. T-Mo and AT&T has shown off their goods and we already know that Sprint has decided to skip out on the party.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
People are stating these "not excited" feelings like it's a bad thing. It's actually normal behavior. Unfortunately, the innanets lose interest quickly but it renews once release time comes out. And trust, everyone else doesn't feel that way, every else meaning WPCentral members that log on here everyday for news

I'm not excited because the hardware wasn't pleasing to me but that's another discussion

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm completely the opposite.

The hardware is nice. But on its own, it wasn't actually that huge an advancement.

The more i hear about WP8, the more interested i get, because of all the little things, NFC, the recent videos of Skype integration, kids corner, etc

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Personally I have, like other people have mentioned, have gotten pretty apathetic about WP8 in general. I am more excited about the certain hardware advances of the Lumia 920 but that's it the OS to me is sort of like "Eh its pretty similar to what I have as far as I can see"

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Mind if I go in a different direction?

Announcements in mobile have only become important since (forgive me, everyone) the iPhone announcements were popular. Since only one a year, or one every 18 months, comes out it has become a celebration. Other tech devices have followed suit just as counter programming. Tech has it's own section in most general news sites, and these are designed to get the iPhone-style headlines.

But really, "excitement" is built in the stores. People come in, and having sales reps showing off the new, shiny phones and all their fun goodies. People who got their phone 2 years ago and now need new ones but don't keep up with mobile (the vast, VAST majority of users) will only see the Hero device status, react to the commercial promotions, and sales rep attitudes.

In other words: What in the name of Steve Ballmer's facial expressions does it matter how long it takes between the announcement and the launch? Promote, teach, and push the products when the launch happens. The excitement will come as new devices come out over the next 2 or 3 years because WP is successful.

I know I am not getting an Android just because it's taking too long.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Announcements in mobile have only become important since (forgive me, everyone) the iPhone announcements were popular. Since only one a year, or one every 18 months, comes out it has become a celebration. Other tech devices have followed suit just as counter programming. Tech has it's own section in most general news sites, and these are designed to get the iPhone-style headlines.

But really, "excitement" is built in the stores. People come in, and having sales reps showing off the new, shiny phones and all their fun goodies. People who got their phone 2 years ago and now need new ones but don't keep up with mobile (the vast, VAST majority of users) will only see the Hero device status, react to the commercial promotions, and sales rep attitudes.

In other words: What in the name of Steve Ballmer's facial expressions does it matter how long it takes between the announcement and the launch? Promote, teach, and push the products when the launch happens. The excitement will come as new devices come out over the next 2 or 3 years because WP is successful.

I totally agree with you, and later down the road there won't be as exciting as it is now.

But in this case, that definitely is not true. In a week everything is changing - the news is huge.
- Computer o/s is radically different.
- New ecosystem with full integration introduced.
- New phone hardware from multiple vendors
- New tablet never seen before

Each point by itself is pretty significant.

Together all at once is a pretty big deal.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Launch day for the ecosystem is a week away. Do you honestly think they'll delay at this stage? To this point, Microsoft's trains have been running on time - I have absolutely no reason to think there will be a delay.

I'm not saying is not going to happen or that I want it not to happen, I'm saying that there's a possibility.

You never know what's happening backstage.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Say that again!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Watching the summit was a completely dry event. Shocked how dry they presented everything. Jobs was so much better at presenting. MS needs to hire someone who can present excitement. Make them the VP of PR marketing or some BS position just so its not some random person presenting their events like a host of an awards show or something. The summit presenters would reveal a very cool feature and after showing its details they would pause and the audience was dead silent. No murmurs, no oooohs or ahhhhhs, or cheers. Nothing, its like everyone in the audience was asleep.

Not sure why people think excitement and hype over upcoming events is not important in the current mobile environment. The marketing is way more important than any feature. I mean you can't market worthless features, but Jobs was able to present old features like they were ground breaking and all the mac zealots would continue the preaching to everyone they know. When most people walk into a mobile store they are already looking for an iphone or android because that is what their friends are hyped up about.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I love Balmer but when you mention Windows Phone to him, his expression changes drastically it's as he feel disappointed. I like the Joe fella, he shows good demos that always impress me.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I love Balmer but when you mention Windows Phone to him, his expression changes drastically it's as he feel disappointed. I like the Joe fella, he shows good demos that always impress me.
I do agree with Winterfang on this. It does seem official press releases from MS are always giving shout outs to Windows 8, or Windows RT, but unless it is specifically a WP event, no WP8 mentions at all. WP does seem to be the red-headed step child.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney