Microsoft event and the excitement?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The longer I wait for Microsoft event the less I get excited about the devices... When they presented the ATIV s and the Lumia 920 I was excited because they are awesome devices!
I was ready to buy the first WP8 device available in Canada. Then, there is that hole in time where nothing about Windows Phone is happening, the wait is long and the excitement is decreasing. I feel like the momentum that was built is falling apart...

Do you think that WP8 devices were presented too early compared to the Microsoft event?

I will go ahead and say: yes.

The ATIV s and Lumia 920 should have been presented a little bit after the HTC event, in my opinion. This way Microsoft would have prensented WP8 and W8 right in the middle of the buzz generated by those devices.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, the Surface has quelled my excitement for a WP8 handset. I'm wanting that more than any of the phone confirmed or rumored to come out. I'm still in line for whichever is the best phone on Verizon, but frankly, the Surface is where I want to spend my money on.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree. The full-blown announcements and press events should have waited until end of September. Instead, the attempts to steal some of Apple's thunder are starting to turn toward backfiring.

The announcement events seem so long ago that it almost feels like the first wave of WP8 devices have already come and gone, and the next wave devices should be announced in a couple weeks.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, the Surface has quelled my excitement for a WP8 handset. I'm wanting that more than any of the phone confirmed or rumored to come out. I'm still in line for whichever is the best phone on Verizon, but frankly, the Surface is where I want to spend my money on.

Same here. Between Surface and zero availability of a fully functional Lumia 920-equivalent on my carrier of choice, I plan to wait on upgrading my HD7.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Meh I've gotten quite apathetic about. But then again I didn't even bother to watch HTC's conference and their phones are the only ones I care about. So finger close.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The longer I wait for Microsoft event the less I get excited about the devices... When they presented the ATIV s and the Lumia 920 I was excited because they are awesome devices!
I was ready to buy the first WP8 device available in Canada. Then, there is that hole in time where nothing about Windows Phone is happening, the wait is long and the excitement is decreasing. I feel like the momentum that was built is falling apart...

Do you think that WP8 devices were presented too early compared to the Microsoft event?

The ATIV s and Lumia 920 should have been presented a little bit after the HTC event, in my opinion. This way Microsoft would have prensented WP8 and W8 right in the middle of the buzz generated by those devices.

I agree with you 100%, but I think there's more to it.

I think it's a marketing technique. They show you the device early and you get hungry for it. Then as time passes you start to lose interest in it due to the time delay, but then they come back with it and show you all these new features and you get hungrier for it.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. Get the buzz started with the announcements. The typical ebb and flow up to the event. The last few days and in the coming days, more info coming out that has you waiting for what is next. It's just a matter of patience. I'd rather focus on the positive and quit looking for negatives.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Good, guess there will be more devices left for people who will just be introduced to the devices when they get released and will like them and who havent spent the last few months wringing their hands at every mention of WP8 devices. :dry

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. My excitement for these devices has come and gone. I'm going to keep my HD7, grab the 7.8 update and wait for the next wave of devices.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you 100%, but I think there's more to it.

I think it's a marketing technique. They show you the device early and you get hungry for it. Then as time passes you start to lose interest in it due to the time delay, but then they come back with it and show you all these new features and you get hungrier for it.
This is true, but I think it works best when you are at the top of your game.

I hope that WP8 delivers and that the platform gets all the POSITIVE visibility that it needs...

CoolBeit

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I know what you guys are saying and it does seem like Microsoft is making some weird marketing decisions. But ultimately WP8 is going to live or die based on what we see on the 28th. Announcement dates, pre-order dates, product launches - all that is background noise compared to the product they're going to present to the public.

The benefit of announcing phones way before Msoft is ready to show WP8 to the public is that people who are eligible to upgrade their phones with their current carriers might be interested in the announced hardware and will be more likely to wait for the true WP8 product launch before making an upgrade decision.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I am concerned for Microsoft. This event better be a whole lot smoother than Nokia's event of bad presentators.

The reason I am concerned is because they are trying to have the best of both worlds; A closed OS like iPhone, but many partners like Android. They have a lot more to juggle. They don't have the mainstay followers like iPhone and they can't keep up with the rate OEMs are pushing out Android Phones.

They have to get ahead of this bell curve and stop pulling the middle/trailing edge.

I hope the best for their Oct 29th conference. As an early PPC2002 adopter, my next phone purchase in Nov/Dec depends on Microsoft's event.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I am concerned for Microsoft. This event better be a whole lot smoother than Nokia's event of bad presentators.

The reason I am concerned is because they are trying to have the best of both worlds; A closed OS like iPhone, but many partners like Android. They have a lot more to juggle. They don't have the mainstay followers like iPhone and they can't keep up with the rate OEMs are pushing out Android Phones.

They have to get ahead of this bell curve and stop pulling the middle/trailing edge.

I hope the best for their Oct 29th conference. As an early PPC2002 adopter, my next phone purchase in Nov/Dec depends on Microsoft's event.
I don't know how Microsoft could surprise us... I hope they are bringing some serious stuff on the table.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If marketing events get you excited, then you need not worry. A lot of advertising will be coming your way to get you excited again.

As far as I'm concerned Nokia could have announced it two years ago. I couldn't care less about the time between announcement and release. The only thing I care about is the actual release date and the capabilities it offers at that time compared to the competition.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Yea, I feel the same. I really want the 920 but, hearing that AT&T has an exclusive for 6 months just rules it out of I am staying with Verizon (unless they get a rumored "9xx" on release), as a 6 month phone is OLD news these days.

I was really hyped about these models and now it's fading. I have 7.8 beta on my phone so the new tiles are not a big deal any more.

I guess I wait till I hear the offical word from Verizon, unless they get a shocker phone (something like or better than the 920) that we have not heard about, I might just wait as well.

I might wait for MS's offering on a Surface phone but, I bet that will be GSM only, so no go for Verizon, unless a wow model comes out, I will wait till I find a used on on ebay or craigslist or something for a cheap price.

I was all about getting one on release, after no 920 on Verizon, I'm not going nuts. I will wait till after they are released and see the reviews with the final products to make my choice. Also, what phone gets the first unlock, is something important to me too...

Maybe this will change on the offical MS press release on the 29th (28th ?) and we hear what carriers will get but, as of right now, I dont think so...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If marketing events get you excited, then you need not worry. A lot of advertising will be coming your way to get you excited again.

As far as I'm concerned Nokia could have announced it two years ago. I couldn't care less about the time between announcement and release. The only thing I care about is the actual release date and the capabilities it offers at that time compared to the competition.
Sure but the longer the wait is, the more time the competition have to catch up with the specs and capabilities...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sure but the longer the wait is, the more time the competition have to catch up with the specs and capabilities...

True, but that has NOTHING to do with the time between announcement and availability.

If Nokia had announced the 920 two years ago and released it two months ago, that would have been much better than announcing it now and releasing it in two weeks.

Like I said, the date of the announcement is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the release date, at least to me.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
They have cycle times for research and development. So either a) they were already in the works and would be on the way regardless or b) not in the works and would have to go through the lifetime of the cycle probably putting them past the release of existing phone.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Not excited at all. In fact, I'm most likely heading to Sprint if Verizon doesn't offer wp8. As for the surface, looks awesome, but I already have an Asus transformer that works just fine. I will be getting windows 8 asap however.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3