Elop: a Surface phone would stimulate the Windows Phone ecosystem

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Funny how a bad Q3 report makes you think differently

Elop: a Surface phone would stimulate the Windows Phone ecosystem | The Verge

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop has previously said he has "no indications" that Microsoft might be planning to launch its own Surface phone, but in an investor call today he appeared to welcome it.
"It's certainly a stimulant to the ecosystem," says Elop, in response to questions on whether a potential Surface phone would be welcomed or seen as a competitor. "We're encouraging of HTC and Samsung and Microsoft or whomever to have devices in the market and to be making whatever investments that helps spur the ecosystem on," says Elop.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
He is correct. The more manufacturers make windows phones, the more options there will be, which will draw more customers to the ecosystem.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I say he is correct to an extent. Ultimately, what drove people to Android was Samsung's marketing of the Galaxy S series. But only Samsung isn't in trouble, while the rest of the companies are just trying to remain relevant.

WP8 needs to be both familiar and different at the same time. Familiar enough for users to understand, different enough for users to switch.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Bad Q3? Nokia is back operating profitably on a non-IFRS basis :)

They have made good progress towards real profitability but more needs to be done hopefully the imminent release of WP8 devices will make Q4 a really good one for Nokia as well as HTC and Samsung and MS.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Elop has been saying similiar things since the beginning. Right now, although there is competition within the ecosystem, it's in Nokia's best interest for all the WP OEMs to succeed to an extent. The more the entire ecosystem grows, the better off Nokia will be.

thecrispy

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I hope they do release a phone because they have the resources to advertise the **** out of it just like the Galaxy S series. I hope they do the same for WP8, Surface, and Windows 8.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how it would work out for Nokia, but I'd certainly like to see a Surface phone like the one somebody mocked up a while back. That was a nice looking device.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Of course he is going to say that, whether he believes it or not. He was on an investor call at the time. What else can he say, "no, that would kill us! **** MS for doing this"?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Still don't understand.

Microsoft hold back software from other phones, so it won't be any different in software.

Can't see them giving anything different chipset wise, maybe they just deliver a new chipset first.

So what else is there? Some sort of Niche phone? A business orientated phone? Skype phone?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how it would work out for Nokia, but I'd certainly like to see a Surface phone like the one somebody mocked up a while back. That was a nice looking device.

Other WP8 vendors will use Nokia's navigation system and a lot of Nokia apps without which WP is incomplete, should benifit Nokia in long term

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3