03-03-2013 06:44 AM
451 ... 678910 ...
tools
    There are plenty of things that are good about the 822, just none of them are for me.
    Most important specs that make the 822 a good choice:
    1) SD Card slot
    2) Nokia Apps
    3) Removable battery (I've never had an issue with built-in batteries but some people are paranoid)
    4) Inductive charging

Also, I can't say this enough. While the 822 is definitely a budget phone and looks/feels cheap, it isn't nearly as ugly as the photos that have leaked. It's a little charmer in person.
    The other thing too is the gyroscope, but that's somewhat minor. Apparently (?) the 8X doesn't. Can you confirm or deny? Apps like Photosynth need it, I believe.
    10-30-2012 04:33 AM
    Gyroscope means nothing to me so I don't know which ones have it.
    10-30-2012 06:39 AM
    On the HTC page for the 8x it says there's a g sensor which I guess is a gyroscope
    10-30-2012 06:41 AM
    The other thing too is the gyroscope, but that's somewhat minor. Apparently (?) the 8X doesn't. Can you confirm or deny? Apps like Photosynth need it, I believe.
    Photosynth works fine on phones that don't have a gyro, like the Trophy for instance. All phones still have an accelerometer. A gyro just gives you more precise motion sensing. I'm not really sure what apps would take advantage of that, maybe certain games?

I don't get why some people are making such a big deal about the gyroscope, especially when it hasn't even been confirmed that there is no gyro.

Edit: looking at HTC's site, it looks like other phones besides the 8X are listed as having a 'Gyro Sensor.' So it looks like there is indeed no gyroscope. But I still don't think it's a big deal.
    Last edited by thed; 10-30-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    10-30-2012 09:09 AM
    Verizon is the only carrier to have the data sense web browsing at launch. Pretty neat feature for those that have bandwidth caps and WP8 is the only OS to have such a feature. What I really like is that data sense shows how much data each of your apps are using. Not sure if android does that, but pretty positive that iOS has nothing like that.
    10-30-2012 12:25 PM
    Verizon is the only carrier to have the data sense web browsing at launch. Pretty neat feature for those that have bandwidth caps and WP8 is the only OS to have such a feature. What I really like is that data sense shows how much data each of your apps are using. Not sure if android does that, but pretty positive that iOS has nothing like that.
    Android does... Well 4.0 does at least.
    10-30-2012 12:43 PM
    Android does... Well 4.0 does at least.
    I know my lagdroid X running gingerbread doesn't. Have I said I hate this phone lately?
    10-30-2012 12:51 PM
    Another advantage with the 822 over the 8x is the wider screen. The 8x is higher definition, but it's long and narrow. It gives you the width of a typical 4" screen and the length of a 4.3". The 8x will give you an extra half row of tiles, but they are smaller. Slightly larger tiles won't mean much to many users, but some will like the slightly larger text.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
    10-30-2012 01:12 PM
    Blackberry phones also compress data for the browser and email.
    10-30-2012 02:49 PM
    Actually no Android 4.0 and above do not compress data for the browser. Also they do not meter data usage. That is a WP8 only capability.
    10-30-2012 05:47 PM
    10-31-2012 05:50 AM
    Hoping the Odyssey is the ativ.
    10-31-2012 10:01 AM
    ...and I heard they are going to drop the iPhone too. Sorry, but this is not an update. It is a few bits of random information that anyone could say with all of 30 seconds in front of a keyboard. Much like on other sites, you will see the phrase that it is not true without pictures, if you can't cite people, dates, and facts, it is just another internet rumor.
    Sorry, had to bump negative Nancy here just for the lulz.
    10-31-2012 10:03 AM
    We still looking at the 12th for VZW and the 8x?

Anticipation is killing me.

Are they going to do a preorder or anything like that?
    11-02-2012 03:08 PM
    We still looking at the 12th for VZW and the 8x?

Anticipation is killing me.

Are they going to do a preorder or anything like that?
    Verizon is based in New Jersey so Everything is Screwed up right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they were delayed.
    11-02-2012 09:30 PM
    Verizon is based in New Jersey so Everything is Screwed up right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they were delayed.
    Oooh. Great point... That's not good at all.
    11-02-2012 10:09 PM
    that sucks. I forgot about that. If things are on schedule for the 12th when do you think an official announcement would happen? Mid next week?
    11-02-2012 10:18 PM
    that sucks. I forgot about that. If things are on schedule for the 12th when do you think an official announcement would happen? Mid next week?
    With their 'history of one week notices', we should see an announcement on Monday. That is if there are no delays.
    11-03-2012 02:13 PM
    Come on Verizon, it's one week to the 12th, let's get the pre-orders going! Also, please don't push the date back to the next week. I'm really hoping to have a new phone to play with on my work weekend of the 17th & 18th.
    11-05-2012 11:41 AM
    Grumble grumble.
    11-05-2012 08:15 PM
    might as well wait for black friday at this point.
    11-05-2012 09:06 PM
    might as well wait for black friday at this point.
    Possibly true for some, but I don't think they really reduce the price of a phone off contract, do they?
    11-05-2012 09:38 PM
    Possibly true for some, but I don't think they really reduce the price of a phone off contract, do they?
    No, I have never seen them drop a off contract phones price. I would not count on it.

Best bet is to get one used...

I wish Verizon had something better coming to their line up. The 8X is not impressive to me with only 16gb of memory. The Samsung could be a nice phone but, it's just a G3 phone(current Android device rebaged) with Windows Phone 8 on it and a few color changes (major downfall) but, it's removable battery and MicroSDXC slot makes it something to think about.

The Nokia 822 is a joke to me, 480 X 800 display, low, current display res on a 4.3" display, yes, a joke. And it just looks cheap. Not even sure why they are carrying this model in a day of high res displays, I think it just looks bad for WP8.

So out of the 3 phones claimed to come to Verizon, They are all suck in one way or another. I want a 920 but, AT&T is not as good as VZW in my area, so I would be screwed.

I guess my only option is my phone falls into water after 3 months after released(insurance) or search ebay/craigslist for a used model of these models (8X or ATIV, would not even touch the 822, even free). I wont be stuck behind a 2 year contract (locked in with out being able to get a phone).

This is nothing new with Verizon, I finally find a phone that I want, has most of the features I really would enjoy on a phone and it's GSM only....F U Verizon.

and I have been dealing with this crap for 15 years now...(if all my family was not on Verizon, I might try AT&T)

Verizon does suck when it comes to new phones...
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 11-05-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    11-05-2012 09:51 PM

This is nothing new with Verizon, I finally find a phone that I want, has most of the features I really would enjoy on a phone and it's GSM only....F U Verizon.
    Why blame Verizon for a business decision that Nokia made? That's just absurd. If you should be blaming any carrier, it should be AT&T.
    11-06-2012 09:22 AM
    Honestaberead /mr Mac:

When can we expect news from vzw? ? Any updates as far as release?
    11-06-2012 10:13 AM
451 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD