VZW WP8 Update

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The WP8 launch stuff has been barreling forward. There's just been some anger over what transpired with Nokia, but apparently that has been smoothed over. Looks like Verizon will be getting the quadcore Nokia as an exclusive in February or March of next year and is also working on getting the HTC quadcore exclusively too.

Their earnings and subscriber reporting gave them a lot of leverage. But both phones come with guaranteed profitability for HTC and Nokia if they go exclusive - Verizon will guarantee a certain number of handsets sold and will carry insurance to pay out to Nokia and HTC in the off chance they don't reach the goals.

Look for a quad core Lumia with all the 920 features plus increased megapixels from the sensor and microSD support.

Not sure if Quad Core will matter unless the OS or better yet, the Apps take advantage of it. I know it's being said that AT&T has a 6 month exclusive period, so how does that result in Verizon getting a phone in February or March? That would be 4 months up if you get to Mid-March.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if Quad Core will matter unless the OS or better yet, the Apps take advantage of it. I know it's being said that AT&T has a 6 month exclusive period, so how does that result in Verizon getting a phone in February or March? That would be 4 months up if you get to Mid-March.
Simple. It's not Lumia 920 anymore.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe Nokia will go to a 6 month cycle. At&t top phone for 6 months then verizon top phone for 6 months. It would kind of make sense in a strange way.
This goes along the lines of the "Follow the Leader" mentality that has created the so called oligopoly the carries seem to be in.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I always forget about Sammy cuz their reception in my area is worthless and we never sell any. The phones we sell never line up with top sales nation wide. We always sell out of Motorola. Barely sold any Nexuses, etc.

JamesAD60

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't be surprising for Verizon to be a little late with their WP8 rollout given the changes needed for the CDMA network. I was not worried for a minute that they would back out. Verizon's decision to pass on new handsets until WP8 probably had more to do with the inability to upgrade than a lack of long term support for windows phone. They have been doing well getting the updates out for the Trophy. Do AT&T customers all have Tango yet?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't be surprising for Verizon to be a little late with their WP8 rollout given the changes needed for the CDMA network. I was not worried for a minute that they would back out. Verizon's decision to pass on new handsets until WP8 probably had more to do with the inability to upgrade than a lack of long term support for windows phone. They have been doing well getting the updates out for the Trophy. Do AT&T customers all have Tango yet?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

The only phone at&t pushed updates for was the Lumia. I too believe Verizon didn't get on the last wave of wp7 because they knew they were legacy devices out of the gate. At&t is going to be dealing with a lot of sour customers soon. Also, what are the chances of the phones that aren't the 900 getting 7.8? I'm guessing close to zero while I would give the Trophy a darn near 100% chance.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So to me it sounds like Verizon's first phones will be the 8X (stylish) and Ativ S (solid reception). I don't think it would be the 822 because if it's like most Nokias, it is both stylish AND solid reception. So maybe the 822 is being pushed back a little.

As for Verizon getting a quad-core 9xx in February, that's great news. The difference in performance may not be that big, but "quad-core" on a spec sheet does help to sell a product. This also allows AT&T long enough with the 920 where they will feel comfortable promoting the heck out of it until Christmas.

The quad-core also allows Verizon to charge full price for the new phone at around the time that AT&T will be cutting the price of the 920.

I know that many consumers don't like it, but if you're an OEM without much mindshare, it's SMART to have exclusivity because of the promotions and commitments that come along with it from the carriers.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok. So to me it sounds like Verizon's first phones will be the 8X (stylish) and Ativ S (solid reception). I don't think it would be the 822 because if it's like most Nokias, it is both stylish AND solid reception. So maybe the 822 is being pushed back a little.

As for Verizon getting a quad-core 9xx in February, that's great news. The difference in performance may not be that big, but "quad-core" on a spec sheet does help to sell a product. This also allows AT&T long enough with the 920 where they will feel comfortable promoting the heck out of it until Christmas.

The quad-core also allows Verizon to charge full price for the new phone at around the time that AT&T will be cutting the price of the 920.

I know that many consumers don't like it, but if you're an OEM without much mindshare, it's SMART to have exclusivity because of the promotions and commitments that come along with it from the carriers.
Have you seen the 822? It's far from stylish. My trophy is better looking.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Again, I'm not buying the rumors of a 922 with better specs so soon after the release of the 920. It's not the way Nokia has usually handled device releases, and they wouldn't come out with a better device just for one carrier (I understand how big that carrier is, but still).

If they did have a device with improved specs it would come out in Europe first.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Ummm... congratulations?

I think his point was that the 822, if it looks anything like the leaked pictures, is not what most people would call stylish. It's utilitarian at best.

I'm betting on the 8X and 822 at launch, with the Ativ S coming shortly after (Samsung and Verizon do have a strong relationship, after all).

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Again, I'm not buying the rumors of a 922 with better specs so soon after the release of the 920. It's not the way Nokia has usually handled device releases, and they wouldn't come out with a better device just for one carrier (I understand how big that carrier is, but still).

If they did have a device with improved specs it would come out in Europe first.

The Lumia 900 was announced for and released first on AT&T. A U.S. carrier-exclusive 922 would follow that pattern quite closely.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think his point was that the 822, if it looks anything like the leaked pictures, is not what most people would call stylish. It's utilitarian at best.

I'm betting on the 8X and 822 at launch, with the Ativ S coming shortly after (Samsung and Verizon do have a strong relationship, after all).

Maybe if you're only looking at the black with black back plate.

It doesn't have to be a stylishness that you like, but the fact that it can be accessorized with different colored back plates is "stylish."

I hate the splash of color on the speaker on the 8X, but I can still admit that it can be described as "stylish."

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't have to be a stylishness that you like, but the fact that it can be accessorized with different colored back plates is "stylish."

The most recent rumors have suggested that the 822 for Verizon will not have customizable backplates like the 810 and 820, but it will have wireless charging.

For what it's worth.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The most recent rumors have suggested that the 822 for Verizon will not have customizable backplates like the 810 and 820, but it will have wireless charging.

For what it's worth.

Really? If so, then take back my "stylish" comments if true.

I was under the impression that it would have its own colored covers, but they were just incompatible with the ones on the 820.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Guess I'm going to hold off on a WP8 purchase till these second wave of WP devices are revealed early 2013 (as well as the Surface Phone). I'm pretty sure my Surface RT will keep me entertained till then. Although I'm going to have to deal with my Focus crashing several times a day ( I think it's cause I dropped it too many times).

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

Nokia's Chris Webber said back in January “The key to getting more Lumia phones into consumers’ hands is giving each carrier a “unique proposition,” so they can show how the devices stand out from the iPhone or Android models.”

Think what you want then.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's Chris Webber said back in January ?The key to getting more Lumia phones into consumers? hands is giving each carrier a ?unique proposition,? so they can show how the devices stand out from the iPhone or Android models.?

Think what you want then.

So much for the 822 standing out, they didn't quite nail that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)