VZW WP8 Update

giper54

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I cant remember exactly but from what i can remember from what I have read the reason the iPhone 5 can't do data and talk is because they did not add an extra antenna/radio while HTC and Samsung have.

passntyme

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Assuming an area is provisioned for SVDO. I know that large swathes of the Bay Area are not.

In general, when you're getting data and voice simultaneously on VZW, it's because of the dual radios, not SVDO. iOS doesn't support either SVDO nor dual radio operation, so it's doubly rough over there.

A link to help explain SVDO.
CDG : Technology : Simultaneous Voice and Data (SVDO)
http://www.cdg.org/technology/svdo.asp

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Example of why carriers hate iPhone:
Apples pays $200 for a 16GB iPhone 4S
Verizon pays an average of $659 per iPhone.
Verizon charges between $450 and $850 full retail or between $0 and $400 on contract.

It costs Motorola $200 to make a Razr HD.
Verizon buys it from Motorola for about $450.
Verizon sells it off contract for $600 or $200 on contract.

The iPhone 4 would NOT be free if it wasn't dictated by Apple.

Also, the Razr HD does SVDO. No idea if the Windows Phones. That's not something Verizon actively trains us on.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... 'by Thanksgiving' makes me a little sad. Time to bug our Microsoft reps and see if they can hook us up early.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Honest:

I know you love the 8X - the screen, the way it feels, etc. Would there be anything that lures you at all to the 822?
There are plenty of things that are good about the 822, just none of them are for me.
Most important specs that make the 822 a good choice:
1) SD Card slot
2) Nokia Apps
3) Removable battery (I've never had an issue with built-in batteries but some people are paranoid)
4) Inductive charging

Also, I can't say this enough. While the 822 is definitely a budget phone and looks/feels cheap, it isn't nearly as ugly as the photos that have leaked. It's a little charmer in person.

EDIT: I've learned that the black and red 8X are exclusive to Verizon, so that means T-Mobile and AT&T will only carry the yellow and blue. Kinda sticks because I know a lot of people who thought the yellow 8X was sweet, but I'm probably gonna go red.

Last edited:

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
As much as I typically don't like a flashy phone, I was really tempted to pick up a yellow 8X. It just looked really awesome to me for some reason.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of things that are good about the 822, just none of them are for me.
Most important specs that make the 822 a good choice:
1) SD Card slot
2) Nokia Apps
3) Removable battery (I've never had an issue with built-in batteries but some people are paranoid)
4) Inductive charging

Also, I can't say this enough. While the 822 is definitely a budget phone and looks/feels cheap, it isn't nearly as ugly as the photos that have leaked. It's a little charmer in person.

The other thing too is the gyroscope, but that's somewhat minor. Apparently (?) the 8X doesn't. Can you confirm or deny? Apps like Photosynth need it, I believe.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The other thing too is the gyroscope, but that's somewhat minor. Apparently (?) the 8X doesn't. Can you confirm or deny? Apps like Photosynth need it, I believe.
Photosynth works fine on phones that don't have a gyro, like the Trophy for instance. All phones still have an accelerometer. A gyro just gives you more precise motion sensing. I'm not really sure what apps would take advantage of that, maybe certain games?

I don't get why some people are making such a big deal about the gyroscope, especially when it hasn't even been confirmed that there is no gyro.

Edit: looking at HTC's site, it looks like other phones besides the 8X are listed as having a 'Gyro Sensor.' So it looks like there is indeed no gyroscope. But I still don't think it's a big deal.

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is the only carrier to have the data sense web browsing at launch. Pretty neat feature for those that have bandwidth caps and WP8 is the only OS to have such a feature. What I really like is that data sense shows how much data each of your apps are using. Not sure if android does that, but pretty positive that iOS has nothing like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb