VZW WP8 Update

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Independent, I posted this in the comments section of a story earlier.

Yeah, they announced somewhere around a year ago that they were doing away with unlimited. Then, around the middle of this year, they announced that the only way to keep your unlimited data would be to buy a phone off contract. Shortly after this, upgrades would eliminate unlimited data.

So, [I'm buying a phone off contract to keep unlimited data.]

As for AT&T, though, I've had nothing but terrible service (both as a customer and with their phone service) with them, though, while Verizon has often gone out of their way to fix something. I also am not a fan of how they look at unlimited data, especially publicly. However, I'm sure Verizon feels the same way.

EDIT: Psssst... transfer the discount to your wife's line and upgrade on her line. You'll keep the unlimited.​

Basically, Since it sounds like you have two lines on one account, with you on unlimited grandfathered and the other on a "limited" 2 GB plan, you can transfer your upgrade to your wife's phone and still keep unlimited.

What I'm saying is this: upgrade your wife's phone twice. One time using her upgrade, to whatever Windows Phone, and then you transfer your upgrade to her line and upgrade her again. Doesn't matter the features, just take it into a Verizon Store and ask them to activate it. They'll do it.

I promise you that knowing you have unlimited data is worth the hoops, rather than worrying if you'll go over the 2GB. Wish they didn't get rid of it, though.

Hope this helps you and anyone else.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Independent, I posted this in the comments section of a story earlier.

Yeah, they announced somewhere around a year ago that they were doing away with unlimited. Then, around the middle of this year, they announced that the only way to keep your unlimited data would be to buy a phone off contract. Shortly after this, upgrades would eliminate unlimited data.

So, [I'm buying a phone off contract to keep unlimited data.]

As for AT&T, though, I've had nothing but terrible service (both as a customer and with their phone service) with them, though, while Verizon has often gone out of their way to fix something. I also am not a fan of how they look at unlimited data, especially publicly. However, I'm sure Verizon feels the same way.

EDIT: Psssst... transfer the discount to your wife's line and upgrade on her line. You'll keep the unlimited.​

Basically, Since it sounds like you have two lines on one account, with you on unlimited grandfathered and the other on a "limited" 2 GB plan, you can transfer your upgrade to your wife's phone and still keep unlimited.

What I'm saying is this: upgrade your wife's phone twice. One time using her upgrade, to whatever Windows Phone, and then you transfer your upgrade to her line and upgrade her again. Doesn't matter the features, just take it into a Verizon Store and ask them to activate it. They'll do it.

I promise you that knowing you have unlimited data is worth the hoops, rather than worrying if you'll go over the 2GB. Wish they didn't get rid of it, though.

Hope this helps you and anyone else.

I tried this a few days ago, the website would only let me transfer upgrades to lines already eligible for an upgrade. Wait what :confused: ?

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's more the principle of the whole thing. The least they could do is offer those coming off of unlimited data double data to match the other contracts that they are letting people keep. Also, what happens if a guy buys a device, then the cancel his contract, which I feel has a solid chance of happening. It's just a mess that gives no respect to long tenured customers.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Nice. Thoughts on build quality? Does it feel cheap or substantial?

That's a hard one for me to decide. I'm pretty laid back and didn't think the GS3 was all that "cheap" feeling. It does feel more solid then the GS3 though. Feels solid. I guess maybe I would compare it to the Galaxy Nexus. The GNex felt solid, yet plastic obviously.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
No, he got black. I'm curious to see the grey, but it appears to be online ordering only.

I got screwed on the Grey.. We ordered three devices on Friday online through our enterprise account. Two grey one black. They called yesterday and said they didn't have grey only black.. The black does look good though.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just played with the 822 and 8X at a store. I got the 8X due to the screen and camera, but damn did the Lumia 822 ever feel nice. The buttons all had a wonderful reassuring click to them and it felt like it was built like a tank. Best budget phone Verizon has EVER had. If it had a 720p screen I would have been on that like flies on ...honey.

cooperma

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
just ordered mine over the phone with VZW. Order is pending. they told me that i could do a saturday delivery....but the other lady i talked to just said its not shipping till the 19th. oh well.. theres 20 bucks i wont ever see again lol...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I walked into Best Buy last night with WalMart's ad queued up in my phone and asked if they'd match the price. They asked me the price, and I said FREE. The guy said, "If I can pull it up, yes." I showed him my phone, told him wireless.walmart.com, and he gave me the phone. SWEET! WalMart didn't have a ship date, but Best Buy handed me the phone!

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I walked into Best Buy last night with WalMart's ad queued up in my phone and asked if they'd match the price. They asked me the price, and I said FREE. The guy said, "If I can pull it up, yes." I showed him my phone, told him wireless.walmart.com, and he gave me the phone. SWEET! WalMart didn't have a ship date, but Best Buy handed me the phone!

You did WHAT? On which phone? Which ad? LINKS?!?!

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I printed off a screen cap and took it in to BB. Make sure to add it to cart or the BB guy might balk. Mine did a little bit saying he didn't know if it was free after rebate or whatever. But he ended up giving it to me free anyway.

3773M

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Any insider information on whether or not there will be any shipments of the red HTC 8x on the 21st or will the first shipment be the 27th?

WinDude

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
First off, thank you everyone for all the great 411. You guys are awesome. And in your awesomeness, I was hoping you may be able to answer a question for me. Basically, I really want to get the Lumia 920, as I just am in love with that phone after playing with it at the Microsoft store. Problem is, I am on Verizon, and I would rather poke my eyes out with a butter knife than go back to AT&T. I suppose I could wait until March to see what 920 variant hits VZN, but I am not a patient person. So my question, if I get the Lumia 822, will I be able to purchase the next 920 variant when/if it comes out and simply swap in my SIM card from the 822 and be good to go?

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
You can easily change phones by just going into your Verizon account online and entering the new IMEI number. Not sure how it works with LTE but I would assume you'd be able to just swap out the sim as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos