Why isn't there a 32 GB for the HTC 8X?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am just a happy customer. It pains me to see my fellow people paying higher prices for worse services.

Local storage only matters when you've got a fire hose that shuts off when it fills a Dixie Cup (capped 4G). Remove the caps, and life rocks. Seriously, now that I don't have to track data usage, I'm doing so much more with my phone!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Glad to see you happy, everyone should be. But my son's experience with t mobile was anything but happy and will never be an option for our family again.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Not hurting at all, no loss here. With work discounts and coverage in a big city, things are just fine.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't see what the fuss is about the 8x having only 16gb of storage, it is afterall a mid to lower range wp8 device. Lower amount of storage, smaller screen, lower resolution, no real innovative features like wireless charging. Not to mention, the custom apps for HTC phones just aren't that great. It does have dr dre beats audio included, which should make the tennis ball yellow model appeal even more to it's target demographic of 15-17 year old girls though.

(sorry, just wanted to see what it's like to troll. pretty unfulfilling. I'm sure the mods will delete this post, which really is fine because I don't mean anything that I just said, I like the 8x just fine, i'm just trolling for reactions...)

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The HTC is the device for those of us on modern 4G networks without relic concepts like data caps. We T-Mos have virtually unlimited cloud storage, without caps and restrictions, so we don't need the obsolete local storage that AT&T and Verizon users must suffer with as a crutch imposed by the limitations of their inferior networks. ;)

"Limitations of their inferior networks"

That's why everyone is playing catch up with Verizon's LTE coverage, right? Because WiMax and HSPA + were so cool? I mean yeah T Mobile's plans are cheap but some people actually need coverage and silly stuff like that.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if the way we consider device prices and mass memory together is something Apple has put in our heads because that's what they use in their price models. Mass memory is a relatively expensive component, but 200$ price difference between 16 GB and 64 GB? You've got to be kidding.

But anyhow, more is still better as it gives additional options available. I currently have a 16 GB device with unlimited data plan so I'm getting by fine, but there are times I'd hope to have more. This becomes true especially when travelling (in Europe) when you can't rely on your data plan. 16GB becomes somewhat cramped after you've downloaded offline maps and Spotify playlists ready for your trip, at least if you're planning to record some videos.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually, flash memory is super cheap right now. Going from a 16GB module to a 32GB module probably doesn't cost them more than $10, if that.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That's why everyone is playing catch up with Verizon's LTE coverage, right? Because WiMax and HSPA + were so cool? I mean yeah T Mobile's plans are cheap but some people actually need coverage and silly stuff like that.

I get great coverage... and I can actually use the data network without worrying about running out of data within the second week of the month.

Sure, I don't get HSPA+ in the middle of the high desert in Death Valley... but I don't really travel there often, and I'm not willing to pay 3x the monthly tariff to get ridiculously low data caps that I have to drink through the EVDO sippy-straw. ;)

It just amazes me that many subscribers are willing to pay $250/month or more to get the same level of service that I pay about $62/month for.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
T-Mo's coverage sucks in a lot of areas.

Verizon & AT&T have the widest and fastest networks. They cost more, yes. But it really shouldn't "amaze" you that people are willing to pay more for greater and faster coverage.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess if someone lives far out away from any major city, I could understand the need for a CDMA device with Verizon.

But if you live within 80 miles of a mid-sized city, you'll get faster speeds at a lower cost with T-Mo -- an average of about 15 Mb/second with an HSPA+28 device. 'Tis a fact.

I just don't understand why anybody would buy a $150+/month plan that uses up all its monthly data after just four or five Netflix movies.

AT&T is now even starting to block Facetime and other apps that it doesn't want you running on your network, even if it is within your tiny block of capped data. Outrageous!

The whole point of wireless data is to be able to use it when and where you want! If you need "local storage" because your network imposes draconian caps and restrictions, it doesn't matter that you can get a "strong signal" in the middle of the high desert.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
After reading discussions like these, I'm glad that I don't have to deal with US carriers. In the small and quiet Finland I pay 9$ for my unlimited HSPA speeds.

EDIT. The 9$ is only from the data, I pay separately from my calls and texts.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That's a pretty good deal, Gaichuke!

Incidentally, LTE often underperforms HSPA+. Here's a great example -- a T-Mobile Galaxy S III on HSPA+ consistently outperforming an LTE GS III on AT&T in download speed by a wide margin:

4G Speed Test (LTE vs HSPA+ or AT&T vs T Mobile) on Samsung Galaxy S3 - YouTube

Note that the GS III service plan on AT&T with unlimited calls and messaging, and only 3 GB of data, costs about $100 a month, versus $60 a month on T-Mobile with unlimited data.

It really amazes me that someone would purchase a modern high-speed 4G device and then tether it to a network that rations data to such low levels. For all the complaining about a 16 GB network, it would take the average AT&T or Verizon customer a full six months of downloads until hitting their cap to fill a 16 GB device!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Just curious. How many people watch four to five netflix movies a month on their phone? I use the xbox or laptop, so this is a serious question.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Just curious. How many people watch four to five netflix movies a month on their phone? I use the xbox or laptop, so this is a serious question.

I do more than that, especially if I am doing a lot of commuting by train.

That's the whole idea of a smartphone! Data rich applications.

If I only needed IM, email and texting, I would just have an LG Rumor.

I suspect the reason that most people don't use their phones to their capability is... Data caps. Don't want to exceed that restriction, so a lot of very powerful applications simply never get used at all. It is antithetical to the whole idea of 4G, which is supposed to be a fast massive pipe for data needs... Saying "you can fill your monthly thimble full of data really fast" utterly defeats the purpose.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I work from home, so no commute, but I definitely see that aspect. My line of thought was more why watch a movie on a small screen when I can watch it on larger. But if I was stuck on a bus or train a lot each day, I would be looking for ways to entertain myself.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster