Why isn't there a 32 GB for the HTC 8X?

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm near to full with this 16 GB phone I have. I might as well get a Nokia Lumia... Not that I don't like Nokia, I was just looking forward to getting this phone. :\

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
32GB isn't really the norm. I for example have 16GB on my Optimus use it for almost two years and still had 11GB left. Not know since I put all my pictures there.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Because they didn't make one???

In all seriousness, I think HTC are putting a lot of eggs in the Cloud basket. But with all the data plan limitations now, it doesn't seem to be the best move. I agree they need a 32gb. That is one of the major reasons I'm going to Nokia.

Edit: from a US carrier view :). I know there are millions of users out there!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Beats me...the only two things keeping me away from finally deciding on HTC is the memory and screen size...

Sent from my RaZr 4X HD...

Last edited:

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
32GB isn't really the norm. I for example have 16GB on my Optimus use it for almost two years and still had 11GB left. Not know since I put all my pictures there.

I'd have to disagree. I have a 16gb iPhone 4 and have to move/delete things constantly just to update some of my apps.

Glad you can work with a 16gb, though!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
They are probably holding all those extra space for their 4.7 devices. If it's anything like the OneX+/OneS+ it will have 64deliciousGB.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
In all the time I've owned a smartphone, I've never really put music or movies on my device so I have never come close to using up all of my available storage even when I had an 8GB iPhone 4. While I wouldn't opt for the 8GB 8X if Verizon gives us the option, I wouldn't feel handcuffed by the 16GB version.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not too fussed about 16 gigs as I've never even filled up 8. Call me a cloud-storage junkie. Maybe my music collection's just too small? Too much trouble to rip movies from DVDs and Blu Rays? I dunno. It's just never been an issue for me.

But as for 8x vs the Nokia... It's a tough choice for me. Do I want instant gratification HD that I know exists? A smaller OLED screen that I also know exists? Or wait for a possible OLED HD screen later? :p I'm sorry, I just love the pure color you get from OLED.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The 8X is the flagship phone for T-Mobile -- America's only unlimited 4G network. What better way to extoll the virtues of unlimited 4G than to open up people to the cloud that cannot be effectively used on lesser, more expensive, "capped" carriers? :)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Mostly, I think HTC is just making it up as they go.

I believe along with Winterfang that a Titan 3 is coming, and it will have all the high end specs. But there is no reason not to offer a 32GB 8X. Why not? Media is the driving force behind smart phone sales, and storage is a huge deal to some people. I still have 7GB left on my Focus S, so not a huge deal for me. But... why just GIVE those sales to the expandable memory of the ATIV or the built in 32 GB of the 920, or worse yet the 810/820/822 options with expandable memory?

Geez.....

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure AT&T demanded the gimped 8X because they didn't want it to demolish 920 sales.

One look at the thin, svelte, sexy 8X next to the fat, brick-like Lumia 920, and there'd be no comparison... users would choose the 8X overwhelmingly and AT&T likely has to sell a lot of 920s to make back their exclusivity deal. If they could break the legs of the best Windows Phone device for everyday people right out of the gate by trimming storage to laughable levels, it makes the contest less of a challenge for Nokia.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure AT&T demanded the gimped 8X because they didn't want it to demolish 920 sales.

One look at the thin, svelte, sexy 8X next to the fat, brick-like Lumia 920, and there'd be no comparison... users would choose the 8X overwhelmingly and AT&T likely has to sell a lot of 920s to make back their exclusivity deal. If they could break the legs of the best Windows Phone device for everyday people right out of the gate by trimming storage to laughable levels, it makes the contest less of a challenge for Nokia.

Your analysis doesn't make sense to me. If AT&T felt that way then they would not have made an exclusivity deal with Nokia and instead would have simply pushed the 8x harder. By doing that they could have spent more resources pushing the 8x, which would be more naturally marketable due to its aesthetics than would be the the 920 (as you suggest). Why would they have formed an exclusivity deal with Nokia to sell the 920 if they thought the 8x would be a more popular phone that would be easier to sell (and wouldn't need to subsidize like the 920)?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
HTC wouldn't give AT&T an 8X exclusive deal, and AT&T probably sees the 920 as a way to hook in some new subscribers. But they can't have a non-gimped 8X competing credibly. Or so my thinking goes.

Gotta break the 8X's legs a bit to ensure that it doesn't eat too many 920 sales to compromise profits. If the user goes for a "non-carrier-exclusive" device, it could encourage him or her to look at lower priced service plans with competing carriers.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Good point has been made by Jay about how higher resolution apps will take up more storage. I'd highly prefer 32GB, just because erring on the side of caution is never that bad. Would be nice to have a few video podcasts and maybe even a movie on my phone at some time or another. On 8GB, I find myself having to micromanage music, podcasts and games.

Has HTC announced 32GB for any carrier? Just curious. Regardless, the Lumia's selling point is not 32GB. I doubt that will be mentioned much at all, the best selling iPhone is the 16GB for a reason.

If AT&T stocks only the 8GB 8X, then I'll be a little surprised. It's only a dodgy pre-order at the moment. If AT&T is asking for 8GB, then that means it thinks it can sell the 8X at a lower price with lower specs and that is how it fits in to the portfolio.

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure AT&T demanded the gimped 8X because they didn't want it to demolish 920 sales

You do realise that AT&T sell millions of phones a year, and therefore have a really good idea what their customer base wants.

Whilst you demand 32GB, it's perfectly possible that actually the vast majority of their customer base is satisfied with 8GB, and actually they can be even more competitive on price with the 8X, by dropping the amount of memory.

Not only that, but they will be able to offer the cheapest 8X on any network.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You do realise that AT&T sell millions of phones a year, and therefore have a really good idea what their customer base wants.

Whilst you demand 32GB, it's perfectly possible that actually the vast majority of their customer base is satisfied with 8GB, and actually they can be even more competitive on price with the 8X, by dropping the amount of memory.

Not only that, but they will be able to offer the cheapest 8X on any network.

Generally speaking nobody who frequents forums like this is even close to the average customer anyways :D That said, I frequent these kind of forums and I didn't manage to use more than 6-7gb of my N8s 16gb in over 2 years.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8X+ looks likely if they can do a One X+.

I mean, a possibility of 32GB of storage, LTE, S4 Pro, Super LCD2+, wireless charging and more colours, among others, is there and HTC can milk that opportunity. It's like 'like the 8X? We made it better and call it 8X+!'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo