How is Nokia so stupid for not releasing the 920 on Verizon?

PappesHartley

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah? And it worked last time to have the Lumia 900 exclusive? Exclusivity never works. And that doesn't matter. Marketing doesn't matter that much to everyone, especially to people like me. I'm interested in the 920. If it would've come out to Verizon, I would have got it.

Now HTC has my money, followed by thousands and thousands of others because that is the best WP8 phone on VZW.

Sorry, edit: "Exclusivity never works in the US."
I wouldn't say never works because it has.. Unknown to the cell world apple had a exclusive with AT&T.. How did that turn out? Also how is Moto doing with droids? Point being there is more than slapping a radeo in a phone and it works on said carrier. Baby steps as this doesn't just happen over night.

JamesAD60

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Right now we just don't know. We don't know when or if Verizon will get a "922". We don't know if or when they will get another high end model from Nokia or another manufacturer.

I actually feel lucky to be due for a discount in July of 2013. I'll sit back and see what else comes out.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Possibly. That is why I'm deciding whether (on Verizon) to get the 8X, Galaxy Note II, or just wait a little bit longer. Currently have a Galaxy Nexus

Why not stick with the Nexus a bit longer? It is a good device with plenty to offer still. Besides, CES and MWC will bring more exciting devices IMO. Unless you hate the camera on the Nexus that much...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, HTC may be on all carriers. Hasn't helped than sell wp7 devices has it. Even with "stupid exclusives" Nokia are selling more WP devices than everyone else.

I bet Nokia will sell more wp8 devices than HTC or Samsung.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

In the USA, HTC has sold more WP devices than Nokia has.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well tell me how Nokia's plan is pure genius then. How it was with the L900 and right now with the 920.

Like brmiller1976 says, if HTC can get its devices on all three carriers, there is no reason Nokia can't do the same.

Is it really only one or the other? Either "stupid" or "pure genius"? Seriously?

Nokia could have put it on all carriers. They made a strategic choice not to. That choice was likely because of promotions and commitments that AT&T would be willing to make if the device was exclusive.

HTC is in a different situation. They have an established and known smartphone brand in the US. Their need for carrier promotion is less than Nokia's need.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I expect the 920 to sell well on AT&T, but I don't know if it will outsell the 8X. I'm hoping Nokia builds their reputation so in the future carriers will want to sell their device. I know Samsung has done well launching the GS3 on all carriers.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There still is no excuse not to have the 920 on Verizon. Honestly that would have helped the WP ecosystem really grow. A lot of people can't switch carriers so easily.

I've already pointed out one reason. So saying there is "no excuse" isn't being honest or fair. It would be more appropriate to say, "I hate Nokia's strategic decision because I can't get their phone."

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
The problem of an ATT exclusive is that a majority of those that would be interested in the 920 just got the 900. Being as ATT could only move 600,000 900s doesn't bode well.

Actually, it gets even worse. ATT just announced their quarterly results and they sold 4.7 million iPhones and 1.4 million Androids. While I and everyone on this forum don't "get" the iPhone the fact is that EVERY iPhone user I have met "LOVES" their iPhone (I know, anectodal only) and Apple customer retention is through the roof. What that means is that very few iPhone users will switch and even if somehow you got a lot of Android users to switch there still wouldn't be very many WP8 users. Something to think about as we look at the sales numbers for WP8. I am also DUMBFOUNDED by Nokia and MS's failure to get the 920 on all the carriers (it looks like Sprint is going to totally sit out the first wave of WP8 phones - another 55 million potential customers down the drain).

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it really only one or the other? Either "stupid" or "pure genius"? Seriously?

Nokia could have put it on all carriers. They made a strategic choice not to. That choice was likely because of promotions and commitments that AT&T would be willing to make if the device was exclusive.

HTC is in a different situation. They have an established and known smartphone brand in the US. Their need for carrier promotion is less than Nokia's need.
"That choice was likely because of promotions and commitments that AT&T would be willing to make if the device was exclusive."

Nokia would have for sure earned more money in the long run by having it on all carriers.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, Nokia people, your argument is inconsistent.

First, you claim Nokia is better than HTC and can sell more WPs worldwide. Then, you claim that Nokia cannot sell as many WPs as HTC in the US, since HTC is a more credible brand, and were thus forced into another brain dead exclusive, destined to fail.

Which is it? It can't be both.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
OK, Nokia people, your argument is inconsistent.

First, you claim Nokia is better than HTC and can sell more WPs worldwide. Then, you claim that Nokia cannot sell as many WPs as HTC in the US, since HTC is a more credible brand, and were thus forced into another brain dead exclusive, destined to fail.

Which is it? It can't be both.
I don't know what other people are saying, but HTC is going the right route. Why? Because OBVIOUSLY if you want to sell more devices, you have to make the device AVAILABLE to more people. Any idiot can understand that.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah? And it worked last time to have the Lumia 900 exclusive? Exclusivity never works. And that doesn't matter. Marketing doesn't matter that much to everyone, especially to people like me. I'm interested in the 920. If it would've come out to Verizon, I would have got it.

Now HTC has my money, followed by thousands and thousands of others because that is the best WP8 phone on VZW.

Sorry, edit: "Exclusivity never works in the US."

Exclusivity worked pretty well for AT&T and the iPhone...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Right. Because the Lumia 920's release is exactly the same place as the industry was when the iPhone launched.

Commodore made the C64 the world's best selling computer -- of all time -- by selling it through toy stores and drug stores. Maybe Nokia can cite that as a basis for selling 920s through Walgreens. Hey, it worked for Commodore, right?!?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
While I and everyone on this forum don't "get" the iPhone the fact is that EVERY iPhone user I have met "LOVES" their iPhone (I know, anectodal only) and Apple customer retention is through the roof. What that means is that very few iPhone users will switch...
I disagree. I think there is a small market of die hard iPhone users who would purchase nothing but an iPhone. Sight unseen. But it seems like there is a small and growing market of people who agree that apple innovation is ending. IPhone 5 was cutting edge...if it had come out when the 4s was released. Mediocre specs on the new mini iPad are the only way to ensure they have an innovative model next year. if WP8 can make a splash, I honestly believe they can pull market share and mindshare away from these users who are no longer happy with the iPhone.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05