How is Nokia so stupid for not releasing the 920 on Verizon?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
People often stay with brands that they are familiar with.

HTC and Samsung have an established reputation for smartphones in the US. Nokia does not. To many, they are an interesting unknown.

Nokia first needs to establish their brand name in Smartphones. That is most quickly done with the help of a carrier pushing it.

This. Most people in the US only remember Nokia as the company that made their feature phone if they were with a GSM carrier. Nokia smartphones were never popular in the US, and Nokia never made CDMA phones previously.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
As a T-Mo customer, I feel the pain....but since Nokia isn't supporting my carrier, I won't be supporting Nokia. I was looking to switch carriers to get the L900, but AT&T hasn't pushed ANY updates for WP7 and I don't expect that to change with WP8. Good luck Nokia.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
As a T-Mo customer, I feel the pain....but since Nokia isn't supporting my carrier, I won't be supporting Nokia. I was looking to switch carriers to get the L900, but AT&T hasn't pushed ANY updates for WP7 and I don't expect that to change with WP8. Good luck Nokia.

The L900 has had a few updates already. Though at&t hasn't been pushing any non-Lumia WP updates.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
That's my point, some people keep saying to just switch carriers when it's clear AT&T doesn't care about WP and updates...who in their right mind would put up with that? Besides, those Nokia updates came from Nokia, not AT&T...the only way to get a Windows Phone update from AT&T is to buy a Nokia phone :).

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I was among the first to criticize the Lumia 920 being an exclusive in the US, but as time has gone on, I'm not sure they had another play available.

People yelling "Well if HTC could get their 8X on all carriers, there's no excuse for Nokia!!!" clearly don't see the irony that HTC DID NOT get the 8X on all carriers. They didn't get it on Sprint, just like NO Windows Phone manufacturer has gotten a WP8 device on Sprint.

The manufacturer that everyone uses as a model - Samsung and their Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II being on all carriers - have a Windows Phone flagship that NO US carrier has laid claim to as of yet.

So, clearly, it's not just a matter of will. Nokia worked WITH each willing carrier to make a 820 variant. Verizon has the 822. T-Mobile has the 810. AT&T has the 820. If they couldn't do the same with the 920, it was probably due to demands from AT&T. They obviously aren't averse to trying to get their devices on US carriers (read: AT&T). But they can't force them to carry it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Again, CDMA is irrelevant. Verizon is phasing it out, Sprint has plans to abandon it too. CDMA is today's iDEN. VZW is scrambling to get VoLTE up and running so it can start to close down EVDO and 1xRTT.

That said, Nokia should deliver a CDMA handset to VZW with specs better than the 822.

There is a huge difference between phasing out and irrelevant. Most VZW customers do not have a 4G LTE phone - same for Sprint. The advantage VZW customers generally have is coverage and that coverage on CDMA. Turn off CDMA (something they are obviously not going to do) and even T-Mobile would have better coverage. VZW is a CDMA carrier and will be for quite some time to come. CDMA is still very relevant when it is the backbone of your network and one of your key selling points is that your service will work wherever you go. It will be a very long time before you see something that is not CDMA compliant being sold by VZW....

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
There is a huge difference between phasing out and irrelevant. Most VZW customers do not have a 4G LTE phone - same for Sprint. The advantage VZW customers generally have is coverage and that coverage on CDMA. Turn off CDMA (something they are obviously not going to do) and even T-Mobile would have better coverage. VZW is a CDMA carrier and will be for quite some time to come. CDMA is still very relevant when it is the backbone of your network and one of your key selling points is that your service will work wherever you go. It will be a very long time before you see something that is not CDMA compliant being sold by VZW....

This is true since they'll want to support the proven CDMA system for several years, even after implementing VoLTE. But most smartphone users on VZW will be migrated to LTE by next year. They may increase subsidies on LTE phones and give out special offers to move people over due to cost savings on LTE for them.

But Verizon has the best LTE coverage by far at this point and the most aggressive plan for deploying wide spectrum LTE that can go up to 300 mbps. Their whole CDMA network will be covered by LTE next year, including their rural network.

As for the Nokia 920, they had planned on releasing it to Verizon as late as early September. AT&T threw money at them and will pay them full price for each phone. It's the same kind of stuff that AT&T has often done in the past that has gotten them into some trouble, like the iPhone deal that took away so much money from their network. This is a far smaller deal, but AT&T focuses much more on the phone than their network robustness. Though Nokia did break a handshake deal with VZW in doing so. That's why the quad core Nokia is likely to be a VZW exclusive in February or March of next year - and without the same payment from VZW.

The 822 will be shown the door at VZW by January and likely replaced by the 8S in their physical stores, though the 822 will be available through their online store still.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 822 will be shown the door at VZW by January and likely replaced by the 8S in their physical stores, though the 822 will be available through their online store still.

I highly doubt they will drop the 822 after only a month and a half. Unless It doesn't move It should stick around for atleast a short while. I don't see it going away before a Nokia replacement is on the shelves.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
As for the Nokia 920, they had planned on releasing it to Verizon as late as early September. AT&T threw money at them and will pay them full price for each phone. It's the same kind of stuff that AT&T has often done in the past that has gotten them into some trouble, like the iPhone deal that took away so much money from their network. This is a far smaller deal, but AT&T focuses much more on the phone than their network robustness. Though Nokia did break a handshake deal with VZW in doing so. That's why the quad core Nokia is likely to be a VZW exclusive in February or March of next year - and without the same payment from VZW.

Wait, how do you know this?

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt they will drop the 822 after only a month and a half. Unless It doesn't move It should stick around for atleast a short while. I don't see it going away before a Nokia replacement is on the shelves.

By the end of January, I should say.

They aren't expecting it to move much once the 8S is introduced, so it will likely go to web only at that point. There'll be a lot of shuffling after the Christmas season. They'll clear out inventory in the physical stores.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

They aren't expecting it to move much once the 8S is introduced, so it will likely go to web only at that point. There'll be a lot of shuffling after the Christmas season. They'll clear out inventory in the physical stores.

So basically it'll be on the shelves for a shorter time than the Lumia 900 (which a lot of people were claiming was obsolete a couple months after they bought it)?

If they're only going to carry it for such a short time, why did they even bother asking Nokia to make it? Any reason why they didn't just go with the 8S from the beginning?

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

I don't know about this. I know the 8S looks better than the 822 but it has a lower performing processor. If I'm not mistaken the 8S only has a 1GHz dual core processor and the 822 has a 1.5GHz dual core. I know it probably wont matter with the OS but it may make a difference with 3rd party apps. So why replace a model with one that has even less performance?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077