Screen protectors for 920, 8X?

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Because of the curved/rounded glass screens on the Lumia 920, HTC 8X, etc, do screen protectors work on these devices? Are they available?

I know Gorilla Glass 2 is fairly resilient, but my experience is that they are still prone to scratching.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
No need really. But I am sure there will be screen protectors you can try to get on without wrinkles and bubbles. The screen protector will scratch easier than the glass. I know that is the point, but it still detracts from the quality of the screen.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I hate screen protectors. I have never put one on my iPhone 4 and there's still not a single scratch on the front. The back however is a different story. As long as you are careful you shouldn't have scratches on gorilla glass.

My palm centro had this built in screen protector. It was a rubbery layer and I never got a single scratch on that thing. I wish all resistive screens had it.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Samsung Focus for 2 years now. I had a screen protector on it for the first month or two, but it made the screen image look horrible and eventually started wearing off. I removed it and never looked back. In the 1 year and 10 months since, I've only received 1 tiny scratch on the top left of the screen, which isn't visible when the screen is on, nor is it easily visible with the screen off (you have to look at it from point blank distance to see it).

The back of the phone has always had something on it. Not a cover, just a decal (but it still prevented some scratches, nothing noticeable).

When I get my lumia 920 I'll never put anything on it. It's one of the nice things about modern smartphones, at least windows phones. No need to buy a cover to protect it or to change the color to what you want (*cough* iPhone *cough*), which helps keep the phone light and thin.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
No need really. But I am sure there will be screen protectors you can try to get on without wrinkles and bubbles. The screen protector will scratch easier than the glass. I know that is the point, but it still detracts from the quality of the screen.

^truth... They'e so pointless these days.

EricandSuebee

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The only screen protector I will use is the iVisor by MoshiMonde, its a screen protector you can put on and off again, no bubbles and its washable, I have it on my Lumia 900 and I bet it will be available to all the WP8 phones as well.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Screen Protectors are awesome, what are you guys on about? and I'm not only saying it because I make a living installing them... well maybe I'm a little biased.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Screen protectors are the equivalent of the "paint protection" packages that car dealers offer. Useless but extra margin for the dealer.

Any modern Gorilla Glass screen is essentially unscratchable.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Screen protectors are the equivalent of the "paint protection" packages that car dealers offer. Useless but extra margin for the dealer.

Any modern Gorilla Glass screen is essentially unscratchable.

I like screen protectors since they prevent fingerprint marks. I have a matte screen protector. It's not something I use to prevent scratches; I use it so I don't have to keep wiping my screen.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
My MyTouch 4g does not use Gorilla Glass and I am amazed that to this day I have 0 scratches on it. The same goes to my brother and sister's MT4G. Very resilient glass, but you just have to be smart with it. My philosophy is to always put it in an empty pocket, while keys and wallet go into my other pocket.

I've dropped it several times too, and surprisingly...no cracking.

So with that being said, I am not gonna be getting any screen protectors for whatever phone I get.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I purchased my Lumia 900 only 45 days back and last week I was under depression when i saw a very small line on the glass and few lines on the back side (as if someone used toothbrush on it). When I showed to vendor he said it happens when it is kept in denim pocket. I had to purchase a mediocre matt screen guard and a case so that it remains protected inside the pocket. I always take EXTRA care for my handset, never keep any car key or coins inside the pocket where my handset is, still it hurts me when is see those minor lines.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my Lumia 900 only 45 days back and last week I was under depression when i saw a very small line on the glass and few lines on the back side (as if someone used toothbrush on it). When I showed to vendor he said it happens when it is kept in denim pocket. I had to purchase a mediocre matt screen guard and a case so that it remains protected inside the pocket. I always take EXTRA care for my handset, never keep any car key or coins inside the pocket where my handset is, still it hurts me when is see those minor lines.

I carry mine in a holster. It is also kept in an Otterbox Commuter case.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The 900's QA was not so great, in my experience.

What is QA? Doesn't Lumia 900 have a gorilla glass 2? What I see is it doesn't look like a scratch but a very thin lines that can only be viewed when the glass is viewed in light reflection. But the thing that hurts me the most is, mine is white glossy lumia. So I don't know if it is because of glossy nature or something else on the back side there are few lines as if someone used razor blade on it. Even on the camera surface there are lines despite the fact that I always handle my Lumia 900 with extra care

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, its plastic. It will get small scratches in it. My iphone 3g was destroyed on the back because of a case. Lets in little particles of dust. After about 1.5 years I finally stopped using the case and noticed all the scratches that it had on the back. So a case could be worse than nothing at all.

I doubt L900 has GG2. Probably the original GG. That said, should still not get fine scratches in it. iPhone 4 had the olephobic coating and that stuff keeps finger printing down, but is also very easy to get those fine scratches in. My first Titan was in my pocket without a protector for 8 months without a single scratch of any kind. No fine scratches, no nicks. It is not treated with kid gloves either. I paid a penny for it, so never cared about it.

You must have some very rough jeans. Sorry for your bad luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99