Samsung ATIV Odyssey for Verizon

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to return my 8X in favor of this. I'll have to go back to my Trophy for a week or two, but that's okay. If this doesn't happen then I'll just get another 8X, I want the red one more than the black I have now anyway.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Man, I am dying over here. I just bought a Samsung TV, Blu-Ray player, Let's go for the trifecta, But I don't wanna WAIT! Thanks for all the info so far, but I'm holding my breath and turning blue. (Which is the 8X I prefer)

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like another week or two delay, if the report is correct, until the end of December for arrival of the ATIV S/Odyssey. I was hoping for the 13th but looking more like they might miss the holidays now.

Samsung Ativ S delayed yet again : The Droid Guy

The Odyssey is not the ATIV S. Slightly smaller screen and form factor. I haven't heard anything concerning the date at this point beyond the December 13 one I got a few weeks ago.

That said, phone release dates are usually in flux until the end. There can be a constraint on a single part that can delay the entire handset. The Windows Phones were supposed to launch earlier than they did. I can tell you of about half a dozen times I know of where Android handsets were delayed, in some cases by many months (this happened with the Bionic, for instance). Even the Trophy was delayed by several weeks. It's not odd for any phone to be delayed, especially when they are announced before production has begun. Apple usually announced the iPhone when they are already in production. The WP8 devices were mostly announced ahead of production.

We'll know in about another week if the Odyssey was also delayed. The announcement should come around next Thursday or just after and Verizon might open up the phone for preorders. But they won't announce it until they actually have it.

hamptonjt

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Long time reader, first time poster...

I'm interested in this phone as well, but I have a question... Will the reception be better? Since it's been stated that Samsung and Verizon are teaming up for this phone, are they working together so that the reception will be the best possible? I currently have a Samsung Fascinate Android phone, but looking to make the switch when my upgrade is available. I've been thinking the Nokia 822 since the reception seems to be the best on that phone from what I've read in other threads. I travel up and down mountains daily so I lose reception regularly with my current phone, but I see other people on their phone when I have no signal. So, I'm hoping the reception will at least be a little better.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be tough to make a call on reception yet. We're still awaiting a verified list of features for the phone.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be tough to make a call on reception yet. We're still awaiting a verified list of features for the phone.
Yeah, this phone has to be OUT before anyone can make any decisions on anything. I mean, maybe some bloggers have it and are under an NDA, but to the general public the Odyssey technically doesn't exist!

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
They have been real hush on the details, which in my opinion means one of two things. A. They are not near release, and it hasn't even hit manufacturing yet. Or B. All the companies and vendors involved have decided for the first time in history, to not leak ANY details on the device.

Being I dropped my phone last night and it's getting held together with spit and bailing wire, I think it's A. because that would mean more pain for me, and that make sense. From a profitability standpoint, one would want to get it released before Christmas. But there is the after Christmas blah season, where people might want a new device. I really want to see this device soon. Or at least, an official announcement with specs so I can hold out until then. As it is now, this forum is the only thing keeping hope alive.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I am so past looks. Give me the features I want. Looks are great, but I need to be sure that it will work for me going forward.... No news so far. I am amazed there are no leaks on this device, pricing or anything. If it's so close to launch, this is a bad sign.

Aliandren

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
If it's so close to launch, this is a bad sign.

emphasis on If. I really doubt they're going to just drop this on the market all of the sudden without anyone seeing it coming. They're probably not going to make launch this year and just don't want anyone to know about it until after christmas.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that to be the case. But that's inconvenient for me. I'm duct taping my HTC Touch Pro 2 together....

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
MacPhisto - any word from your sources on the 12th still?
I am very interested in knowing this as well. Hopefully that horrible "leaked" image of the Verizon Ativ Odyssey is NOT accurate. Hopefully it is an entry-level free device and Verizon will offer a high-end, flagship-worthy device.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
MacPhisto - any word from your sources on the 12th still?

I haven't heard anything, so don't know what that means. Part of it is due to the season - very busy for my friend at VZW. The date I had heard was the 13th. It was also said at the WP8 launch that the phone was coming in December, but I don't know if Samsung's delays are across the board on WP8.

Verizon will sometimes just drop a phone into their stores and online marketplace with no notice or only a few days notice for preorders. But manufacturer delays are not uncommon. It's why they try to avoid announcing phones too far ahead. Verizon's policy is not to promote a phone until they have it in hand. If Samsung doesn't deliver the phone to them until next Wednesday, then Verizon will just drop it into the store on Thursday morning.

Aliandren

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
As much as everyone says the ATIV S is a different phone than the Odyssey, with respect to the delays this is irrelevant. The primary reason for ATIV S delay is that it shares the same screen as GS3 & Samsung is opting to push out more GS3 rather than produce WP8. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the ATIV Odyssey was going to use the same screen as ATIV S, which would screw over both phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99