Will Verizon hate us and block out the Wallet app?

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
"Your Windows Phone Wallet app supports secure payment through NFC (carrier support is required) where you can pay for purchases."

Verizon has blocked out Google Wallet on Android, but we were still able to get the app by downloading the .apk and installing it. Sadly WP doesn't allow that.

Will we end up without that app on WP? :mad:

Specifically the 8X, which I am planning to get now. (Since Verizon isn't getting the 920...)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no, but the better question is will Verizon issue an ISIS SIM so you can use Wallet because in the US Wallet is only compatible with ISIS.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is backing Isis so as long as wp8 uses some for of that I don't see a problem. Verizon just doesn't like the google way of doing things so hopefully wp8 can see eye to eye with verizon.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
All of the work it takes for NFC makes me think it may be better to just order an NFC enabled debit card and put it inside the phone. Then I wouldn't need a middle man.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I don't understand this whole Wallet thing. Doesn't it just work directly with your payment accounts? Why does the carrier have to be involved?

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I do know you have to open the NFC app and select your card to make a purchase.
Google wallet uses a "prepaid card" to pay for your stuff and all it does is relay your charges to the card you want to use. All of your card information is stored online and not on the phone. I don't see why I can't just charge directly to my card. With an NFC debit card form my bank I just tap the pad and put in my pin. It seems a lot more reasonable of a solution to just put my card inside the back of the phone.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I don't understand this whole Wallet thing. Doesn't it just work directly with your payment accounts? Why does the carrier have to be involved?

They have nothing to do with the wallet hub, that will be there for everybody. What the carrier does have to do is provide you with a secure SIM if you want to use the NFC tap-to-pay portion of the wallet. In this case it would be an ISIS SIM, which WP8 supports.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
They have nothing to do with the wallet hub, that will be there for everybody. What the carrier does have to do is provide you with a secure SIM if you want to use the NFC tap-to-pay portion of the wallet. In this case it would be an ISIS SIM, which WP8 supports.

I would be safe to assume then that Google Wallets "prepaid card" is like a bypass for a secure sim card and that's the reason that Verizon won't allow Google Wallet. I could also assume that with the secure sim card I can store my card directly to the chip and I won't have to use that crazy method Google Wallet uses.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. Isis is in testing right now in only a couple markets. If you live in Salt Lake or Dallas I think then you might get it at launch. Otherwise it looks to be some time next year.

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Verizon will not shut us out from using Wallet if they want to show their committment to WP8 and get major sales.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans