What if the Samsung ATIV Odyssey is the ATIV S?

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
As someone else who has worked with audio extensively, ironsoulreaver is completely right.

That said, the fact that the 8X has an amp on the headphone jack isn't a gimmick; that will actually help with high-impedance headphones and overall volume. But Beats Audio's treatment of sound is a complete gimmick. It's the audio equivalent of an Instagram filter.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As someone else who has worked with audio extensively, ironsoulreaver is completely right.

That said, the fact that the 8X has an amp on the headphone jack isn't a gimmick; that will actually help with high-impedance headphones and overall volume. But Beats Audio's treatment of sound is a complete gimmick. It's the audio equivalent of an Instagram filter.

:lol: Instagram. Beats software can be useful if you know what your doing, It's likely better designed Than the built in EQ on most software. Scientifically though it's destructive and an insult to the original artists and their production team. This whole louder is better thing is a bunch of bull.

look, here is a song Iv'e been working on, It has not been mastered yet only partially mixed, no compression or limiters. Using your beats without the software on will be the intended sound. It will be quiet and some frequencies are a little muddy. Try it with your software on and it will be louder, some frequencies will also be pushed forward on the soundstage too. You may think it sounds better but if you pay close attention you will hear clipping. it's difficult to hear but if you compare it enough times you will get the message. so far it's mixed at 0dB peak with a 6.5 dB Master track reduction. I need to get the Master up to 0dB without clipping, it has 42 tracks and will take forever at this rate. Beats will do it for me, but it will lose overall sound quality in the end.

Symphony of the Dead * Dubstep Orchestra * by dead solitude on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Please use one like I have with the HTC Rezound and then say it's a gimmick. The sound is indeed better and no I don't have any hearing loss.

The amp on the phone is no gimmick, Beats itself is. It's just an EQ setting, no different than any stock EQ preset you have on any other media player. Sure you hear a difference, the difference however isn't an accurate representation of how the music "should" sound. Same thing with Beats headphones, they just overpower the low end and drown out darn near all mids and a lot of high. If all you're into is bass heavy music then you got the right cans.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Bro you're not going with me. If I have my beats plugged in and I am comparing it with the program ON and OFF, and ON sounds BETTER, HOW is it a gimmick? It is not.

And I don't use Instagram filters, they're crap. :p

And the Beats program/software doesn't work without real Beats headphones.

If it sounds BETTER, then it is NOT a gimmick. Like I said, please try it out before saying. I am speaking from EXPERIENCE here.

Please watch the video below at the time I have set it at.

HTC Rezound Software Tour - YouTube

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's go back to the basics. I said I wanted Beats audio on my phone BECAUSE of the higher voltage amp in the first place, not the software even.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Audiophile

You have run into an audiophile. A strange beast from another dimension or maybe another forum. There is no arguing with them and while he may or may not be right he will jamb his righteous point of view down your throat. I know from experience because I was an apprentice audiophile but never an overbearing one. I was never one to criticize anyone elses taste in cars, motorcycles, sound systems or phones. Maybe that is why I am not much of an audiophile anymore..........calfee

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Bro you're not going with me. If I have my beats plugged in and I am comparing it with the program ON and OFF, and ON sounds BETTER, HOW is it a gimmick? It is not.

And I don't use Instagram filters, they're crap. :p

And the Beats program/software doesn't work without real Beats headphones.

If it sounds BETTER, then it is NOT a gimmick. Like I said, please try it out before saying. I am speaking from EXPERIENCE here.

Please watch the video below at the time I have set it at.

HTC Rezound Software Tour - YouTube

I'm going with you just fine. I understand that it makes the music "better" sounding and for the average person that is all they care about. For a trained ear with alot of audio experience they can tell whats really happening. The video was about as informative as looking at grass grow.

This article runs scientific tests on it... It's an EQ with a Compressor. HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio review -- Engadget

EQ is a gimmick, Compressor not so much. Compression used properly can help bring out some audio but not allways. It still comes at a usually not noticable cost though. If your listening to a song that was produced in a professional studio and you have a good audio setup then you shouldn't need it. Thats all I am saying.

Last edited:

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna drag this thread back to the topic at hand. Verizon launched Lumina 822 and HTC 8X today. I'm torn on weather I should wait for the Samsung. I cannot imagine that anyone in their right mind can have a "Flagship" phone without an SD Slot. The 822 has an SD slot and the same stinking processor as the 8X. Should I just skip 'em both and wait for the Samsung, with larger screen, and SD slot?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)