What I want to see in a Surface Phone

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
1. Kickstand
2. Awesome clear wide angle front facing camera with low light recognition
3. Wireless charging

Why a kickstand because with a kickstand, deep VoIP information and NFC my Surface phone can easily replacement my work desk phone.

A awesome wide angle front facing camera with low light recognition would be excellent for Skype and Lync conference calls especially in a low light environment.

Wireless charging to make it easy to charge in your office or at home.

I think Microsoft's vision with "Surface" is to replace desk with mobile. If you look at Surface RT and PRO it puts everything together power of a desktop PC, mobility of a laptop and touchscreen like a tablet it's the evolution of a PC not a tablet a PC.

With a Surface phone I think MS vision is to show the world today's phone what I mean by that is the combination of a desktop phone a mobile phone and smart phone all in one device. It's not a PC its the evolution of a phone not a smartphone but a phone.

So imagine your work desk late 2013 I can see myself having
2x 23 inch monitors
1x Microsoft Surface Pro running Intel i5 or Clovertale (whatever its called) docked.
1x Microsoft Surface phone docked as my desk phone

As you can see its an awesome desk office and a mobile office to go.

Pretty awesome I am liking the potential of the Surface brand.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
With regards to the kickstand, this does the trick without adding unnecessary bulk to the phone:

LG WCD-800 wireless charger announced at MWC, we go hands-on - Pocket-lint

You have to carry a kick stand with you. For example if the Surface phone had a kick stand I can easily bring it to a conference meeting room. Kick the phone up and establish a conference Lync call. With a wide angled front facing camera and deep VoIP integration its like brining your work desk phone wherever you go.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
1. Kickstand
2. Awesome clear wide angle front facing camera with low light recognition
3. Wireless charging

Why a kickstand because with a kickstand, deep VoIP information and NFC my Surface phone can easily replacement my work desk phone.

A awesome wide angle front facing camera with low light recognition would be excellent for Skype and Lync conference calls especially in a low light environment.

Wireless charging to make it easy to charge in your office or at home.

I think Microsoft's vision with "Surface" is to replace desk with mobile. If you look at Surface RT and PRO it puts everything together power of a desktop PC, mobility of a laptop and touchscreen like a tablet it's the evolution of a PC not a tablet a PC.

With a Surface phone I think MS vision is to show the world today's phone what I mean by that is the combination of a desktop phone a mobile phone and smart phone all in one device. It's not a PC its the evolution of a phone not a smartphone but a phone.

So imagine your work desk late 2013 I can see myself having
2x 23 inch monitors
1x Microsoft Surface Pro running Intel i5 or Clovertale (whatever its called) docked.
1x Microsoft Surface phone docked as my desk phone

As you can see its an awesome desk office and a mobile office to go.

Pretty awesome I am liking the potential of the Surface brand.
OK based_graham I'll buy into your vision since my current arrangement at work consists of a phone, monitor, keyboard and a 4"x1" box! There is just one question I have for you... If a 10" or 12" docked Surface can replace my desktop why do I need a Surface phone? Why can't they just add phone capabilities to it so ONE device replaces it all??? You know like ASUS did with the PadFone/PadFone2? :straight:

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather not see a Surface Phone.

Surface was needed in the laptop market to create a Halo device, and raise the bar on design with the OEMs

The WP8 OEMs are bringing their "A" game, and they've got the experience and contacts with the carriers that WP8 needs to succeed.

Pissing off the phone OEMs would not be a wise move.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
PadFone is genius. The only problems I can see with it is getting a call while using your Pad. You have to pull the phone out, and not sure what that does to the app you are in. I would assume it immediately transfers to the phone and is continued in that format.

Meet PadFone 2 - the latest evolution in ASUS' unique mobile phone/tablet hybrid concept - YouTube

for $899 and 32gb it could be my next phone if any US carrier subsidizes it. The phone is gorgeous and the tablet just adds to it.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
PadFone is genius. The only problems I can see with it is getting a call while using your Pad. You have to pull the phone out, and not sure what that does to the app you are in. I would assume it immediately transfers to the phone and is continued in that format.

Meet PadFone 2 - the latest evolution in ASUS' unique mobile phone/tablet hybrid concept - YouTube

for $899 and 32gb it could be my next phone if any US carrier subsidizes it. The phone is gorgeous and the tablet just adds to it.
As I understand it getting a call while the phone is in the station dock isn't a problem. They make a neat stylus that you use to receive calls, unfortunately it's sold separately.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
my perfect Surface phone.

Imagine MS, Nokia, HTC and Samsung working together to make the surface phone. unlikely. but if happened it will be EPIC

1.5ghz Quad Core Exynos processor
micro Sd storage
Beats audio
kid stand
Pureview Camera
HTC imagechip
HTC 8X amp
HTC 8X front facing Camera
Sensitive screen
Wireless charging
4.7 inch screen
Microsoft Surface style.
NFC
Clearblack display
Cleartype tech

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it getting a call while the phone is in the station dock isn't a problem. They make a neat stylus that you use to receive calls, unfortunately it's sold separately.

Receiving a call and being on a call are two different things. I have no doubt the phone can still accept cell radio transmissions, but to listen in private, you would have to remove the phone, or have a headset.

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Receiving a call and being on a call are two different things. I have no doubt the phone can still accept cell radio transmissions, but to listen in private, you would have to remove the phone, or have a headset.

I would go headset. Does the pad phone accept wired headsets? Bluetooth headset would be the most fluid though. Removing the phone seems so inelegant and contrary to the concept.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
OK based_graham I'll buy into your vision since my current arrangement at work consists of a phone, monitor, keyboard and a 4"x1" box! There is just one question I have for you... If a 10" or 12" docked Surface can replace my desktop why do I need a Surface phone? Why can't they just add phone capabilities to it so ONE device replaces it all??? You know like ASUS did with the PadFone/PadFone2? :straight:

Still carrying the padfone banner I see. Sorry, I'm just not feeling it. Why would I want to physically join my devices when they are for all intents and purposes joined already? I get my mail on my phone and my tablet as it stands and to access common files I have skydrive.

Also I hate the fact that if I like the phone but hate the tablet (or vice versa) I'm stuck with both.

I'll stick with connected devices that don't require physical tethering.

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Agree with crystal planet, with WP all my documents are accessible on all my devices already, I see no benefit to the padfone. Cool idea, but WP makes it obsolete.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I just want reasonably competitive specs in a neat package at a cheap, unlocked price. If for nothing else, I'd pick it up to experiment with development.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site

Have you seen the video for the stylus? Putting the stylus to your ear and speaking into it or putting the phone to your ear and speaking, is there a difference? No. I don't think you would be able to use a headset but who knows.

Still carrying the padfone banner I see. Sorry, I'm just not feeling it. Why would I want to physically join my devices when they are for all intents and purposes joined already? I get my mail on my phone and my tablet as it stands and to access common files I have skydrive.

Also I hate the fact that if I like the phone but hate the tablet (or vice versa) I'm stuck with both.

Why would you want to buy 2 devices when one can do it all? Why carry 2 when you don't have to? Why keep resizing/squinting with a small phone screen when ya don't have to? Now if you looked at the device before ya bought it then hating one or the other isn't a problem either now is it? Some people just like coming to the party late I guess ;)

The OP suggested an all in one device but wanted a separate phone, I suggested why not just add the phone to the Surface since you want to combine everything else? I don't care if it's MS, Samsung, ASUS or Joe Hobo's just put it all together, get WP8 on it and lets all be happy! :straight:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Agree with crystal planet, with WP all my documents are accessible on all my devices already, I see no benefit to the padfone. Cool idea, but WP makes it obsolete.

The pad phone is the entire system. The tablet does not work without it I don't think. I think the tablet has battery and display but probably not much else. So, its basically what was asked for. A single device that expands to a larger screen. Now if the padphone2 just had a built in touch cover for the tablet, it would be the perfect surface. Well, if it had WP on it.

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
But I think the fact the tablet thing doesn't work if the phone isn't attached is the biggest issue with that setup. You cant use both simultaneously. With the WP + Win8 the tablet can work separately from the phone and all synced files are basically available to both at all times. Put the phone on the dock, open the Win8 machine and you're good to go. No "loading the phone in" and being limited to the processing power of a phone while losing some of the functions of the actual phone...

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Simply put, what I want to see is a phone with all of the specs of a Lumia 920 + 64 GB storage + a micro SD card capability. THAT phone will rock! Chiefly, what I want to avoid is paying Verizon to stream my own music from SkyDrive and placing it on the local storage.

Unicron109

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I dont think MS needs to make a surface phone as HTC and Nokia are both making beautiful hardware that is very uniquely WP. I do however think that a surface player that would fill the void left by the Zune HDs sad demise and would do well to be a gateway device to WP. They need to give a way for teens who's parents may not want to buy their kids a smartphone and deal with the data plan a way to get into the WP ecosystem. I have a child and I will want her to use WP but there will be no viable option that doesn't need a data plan. I just seems like a missed opportunity on MS part.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
But I think the fact the tablet thing doesn't work if the phone isn't attached is the biggest issue with that setup. You cant use both simultaneously. With the WP + Win8 the tablet can work separately from the phone and all synced files are basically available to both at all times. Put the phone on the dock, open the Win8 machine and you're good to go. No "loading the phone in" and being limited to the processing power of a phone while losing some of the functions of the actual phone...

The padfhone has more hardware power than the surface. It has a s4 quad. the s4 dual core is as powerful as the surface t3. You are only limited by the screen size of the padfone. So they came up with an ingenious way of fixing that. They made a tablet screen that connected to the phone. No hardware in the tablet besides the battery and screen. Phone does it all. All windows would need to do is enable the WP to change to Win8RT when connected to the tablet. No syncing needed since the phone is the tablet.

I dont think MS needs to make a surface phone as HTC and Nokia are both making beautiful hardware that is very uniquely WP. I do however think that a surface player that would fill the void left by the Zune HDs sad demise and would do well to be a gateway device to WP. They need to give a way for teens who's parents may not want to buy their kids a smartphone and deal with the data plan a way to get into the WP ecosystem. I have a child and I will want her to use WP but there will be no viable option that doesn't need a data plan. I just seems like a missed opportunity on MS part.
Pick up a used device on ebay and just dont enable it as a phone. It will have all the hardware of a phone but only able to connect to a wifi system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven