WP8 in Canada

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I figured I'd start a thread for WP8 in the Great White North.

I've been doing some poking around today, and here are some unsubstantiated rumours.

• *Rogers Exclusive on the 920 is only 1 month. (This came from a Telus employee that said it with a certain amount of confidence.)
  • *Telus is getting the Ativ S
  • *Rogers is showing the 8X in Black and California Blue (curiously, both the 920 and the two models of the 8X had "WINDMOBILE" listed in a column on the same line on the SKUs page)
    **EDIT**
    *Rogers launch date is Nov 15th.
    *HTC 8X in Black will be 8MB
    *HTC 8X in California Blue will be 16MB
  • *Bell employee talked about grey colour HTC WP in training documents, which could only be an 8S
    **EDIT**
    *Bell launch date is Nov 15th

**EDIT** info comes from Mobile Syrup

Last edited:

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I am glad to see the Lumia 920 seems to be doing okay - the first entry of WP8 obviously. My highly un-scientific attempt to get a Lumia 920 in Winnipeg and Edmonton seems to have found that every store is sold out. No one told me the specific number they got, nor did I ask most places I visited/called, but those that did comment said, "a few"

blackprince

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Talked to a few TELUS reps over the last few days and trying to get any WP8 news out them is like getting water from a stone in the desert. Its almost like they have no idea what the new devices are.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I asked bell on twitter last week "when are you guys going to officially announce WP8?" and today got a reply we'll let you know as soon as we've got the device linup confirmed"

and read another tweet by them saying they got a big linup for WP8 (don't really know how they could have a big linup)

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Talked to a few TELUS reps over the last few days and trying to get any WP8 news out them is like getting water from a stone in the desert. Its almost like they have no idea what the new devices are.

According to the website, the Ativ is listed as "coming soon" but that's the only WP8 device I've seen. I avoid the reps at the store level whenever possible; they are clueless idiots for the most part.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and for the record, I find the release about tech up here abysmal. There is zero buzz generated by any staff at any store and they are armed with no knowledge about any new products unless they have a fruit logo.

I'm surprised Microsoft can sell anything up here at all.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This 920 launch seems like a non-event... all over the place and no real focus.

Rogers opened up reservations back in mid-October if you were lucky enough to find the tweet or RogersBuzz link. Bizarrely, those early wannabe-adopters were rewarded with a 920 on Oct 29-31, but only 2 phones arrived per Rogers Plus Store.

Today, Rogers site still only lists the old wp7 phones, and haven't updated their website to announce any upcoming availability of any wp8 phones. There are no ads, billboards or in-store advertisement.

I don't see WP8 market share changing up here if things carry on like before. This phone feels premium but also seems like it will be mostly undiscovered.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree the state of knowledge amongst the retail sales force on WP is abysmal. Heck, I was in a Rogers Plus the other day, and watched a sales person finish up a sale on an iPhone to someone that was graduating from a flip phone, with the instructions "it's very intuitive, you'll figure it out".

If I can find the time, I'm going to try to do some "introduction to Windows Phone" sessions here in Victoria. There is a local computer club, with a room that I suspect they might loan out for an hour a week. If they will, make up some pamphlets for local phone reps to hand out to new WP owners telling them about it. We could use the hour to give a brief orientation and do Q&A.

Anyone know how to transfer what is on the screen to a larger monitor/TV?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa