Disgusted with Verizon/Nokia

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure which is at fault, or both, but I'm just absolutely disgusted, watching all this great news coming out for ATT with the 920 coming out later this week, and knowing that the phone I want won't be coming to Verizon, and that all we have are some vague rumors that may or may not be true, that we won't be able to confirm until at least the end of the month.

Yes, I realize that the 8x is a great phone, if that is what you want, and I'm not knocking it at all. I have nothing against HTC, as my last 4 or 5 phones have all been HTCs. I've been using HTC since my first WinMo phone back in what? '04? '05? '06? I don't even remember. I know it was really early on. And now I'm sporting the Trophy, which I'm happy with, but would definitely be happier if it had a better screen and camera.

But while some may love the 8x for the audio in the 8x, I'm a photo hobbyist, so the camera in the 920 is what I want most. So I know that I just won't be happy buying something less, and knowing that there is something better out there, and risking locking myself into a two year contract for a phone that isn't what I want, at the risk that what I want may come out right after I sign on the dotted line.

This whole exclusivity thing just has to go. As a Nokia stockholder I'm pretty ticked about it, too. I bought the stock because I believed in what Nokia was doing when I saw the last batch of phones. I didn't realize that the upcoming batch was going to have the phone that I wanted on an exclusivity agreement that would lock me, and more than half of America, out of purchasing it. It would be one thing if there were a variant coming, but right now, with nothing more than vague rumors, I'm not holding my breath. But knowing what is possible now with a phone camera, I'm not going to waste a contract on something less, so I will not be buying a phone until something as good or better comes to Verizon, which is what it will take for the coverage I need. Which means I may just be hanging on to my Trophy for a while....

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
There is a lot of factors that go into determining what carriers get what phones. The carrier needs to actually want it first, they also have to be willing to pay what the OEM wants because the OEM has to make money, and there also is other things involved with these decisions.

Its not just Nokia and its not just AT&T and its not just Microsoft making these decisions. Everyone has a bit to play in that.

Nokia wants a certain amount of money for their phone. The carriers have to be willing to pay that. Some carriers won't do that without exclusivity. AT&T took on the Lumia 900 and spent money on that promotion for a phone that ended up DOA essentially and probably knew about it. That could have factored into it as well (Verizon sure as heck wasn't pushing Windows Phone) for all we know Verizon maybe didn't even want the Lumia 920 they may have decided it doesn't fit their customer base and wanted to take a wait and see approach to how well it will sell before they invest into it.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
At&t= Hey Nokia, we will sell your 920 for 99 on contract
Nokia= Hey Verizon, At&t is going to sell the 920 for 99 on contract, will you do the same?
Verizon= You gotta be kidding. Get out of my face with that 99 dollar nonsense.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
At&t= Hey Nokia, we will sell your 920 for 99 on contract
Nokia= Hey Verizon, At&t is going to sell the 920 for 99 on contract, will you do the same?
Verizon= You gotta be kidding. Get out of my face with that 99 dollar nonsense.

Yeah... Because offering the phone for $99 is such a bad idea... :straight:

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's pocket??? Seriously, their money comes from contracts and plans, not phones.
well, chances are they would want to sell a premium phone for a premium price, hence their 8x at 199. They lose money on phones. they sell the 920 for 199 they lose 100 less per unit than at 99. It's really simple math. I'm guessing Verizon didn't want to sell it at 99 and that's why they don't have it.

Again, for the not so bright. Losing less money is better than losing more money.
Say they sold 600,000 920s at 99 instead of 199. That's 60,000,000 dollars lost, out of their pocket.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
well, chances are they would want to sell a premium phone for a premium price, hence their 8x at 199. They lose money on phones. they sell the 920 for 199 they lose 100 less per unit than at 99. It's really simple math. I'm guessing Verizon didn't want to sell it at 99 and that's why they don't have it.

Again, for the not so bright. Losing less money is better than losing more money.
Say they sold 600,000 920s at 99 instead of 199. That's 60,000,000 dollars lost, out of their pocket.

"for the not so bright" - ahhh passive aggressive statements online FTW!

To your point about price, you're making a huge assumption that the same number of phones would sell at the $199 price point vs the $99.

And besides, the lower price point is a tactical move (meaning short term). The cell phone market in the US is mature, meaning it is not growing much. With two dominate players in the OS field and a handful in the OEM, something drastic needs to be done to take market share. Offer an excellent device at an aggressive price point. Force people to think about their next purchase as opposed to making the same choices they have in the past. That is business strategy, which includes more than a selling price.

IMO, HTC is riding on their name. I would not pay $100 more for a phone with half the memory.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
"for the not so bright" - ahhh passive aggressive statements online FTW!

To your point about price, you're making a huge assumption that the same number of phones would sell at the $199 price point vs the $99.

And besides, the lower price point is a tactical move (meaning short term). The cell phone market in the US is mature, meaning it is not growing much. With two dominate players in the OS field and a handful in the OEM, something drastic needs to be done to take market share. Offer an excellent device at an aggressive price point. Force people to think about their next purchase as opposed to making the same choices they have in the past. That is business strategy, which includes more than a selling price.

IMO, HTC is riding on their name. I would not pay $100 more for a phone with half the memory.

This much is true. I was going to get the 8x but I'm thinking 822 now. lol

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
hopmedic I hear you (re: exclusivity). I too have a Trophy on Verizon and frankly I'm tired of the lackluster approach they seem to be taking towards WP devices. So today first the first time in a long time, I pre-ordered a Lumia 920 on AT&T and am porting my number over. I simply said enough and I want the device I want this time. I understand for some people changing carriers is not a great option for a number of reasons, but for me, it's not a big deal as coverage where I am is good on AT&T and Verizon (both with LTE as well). So I took the leap. Carriers in the US suck and are raping the customer as much as they can, so I might as well go where the device i want is at least in the process.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've contemplated getting the 822, but I don't know that I want to give Nokia any kind of reward for their 920 exclusivity. Petty I know, but I'm pretty upset about the whole thing. I don't know for sure that I would get a 920 if it's on Verizon as I think the 8X is a really nice phone too, but I really would like to have the option of getting one.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've contemplated getting the 822, but I don't know that I want to give Nokia any kind of reward for their 920 exclusivity. Petty I know, but I'm pretty upset about the whole thing. I don't know for sure that I would get a 920 if it's on Verizon as I think the 8X is a really nice phone too, but I really would like to have the option of getting one.

For me a lot of it is cosmetic. I don't like the boxy front of the 8x or 920. The 822 is like a droid charge, that doesn't suck.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For me a lot of it is cosmetic. I don't like the boxy front of the 8x or 920. The 822 is like a droid charge, that doesn't suck.

I will have to see them in person, but in pictures I really like the way the 8X looks. I don't know if the Nokia apps the 822 have are enough to offset the 800X480 screen. I would also like to know how the cameras on the 8X and 822 compare.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
hopmedic I hear you (re: exclusivity). I too have a Trophy on Verizon and frankly I'm tired of the lackluster approach they seem to be taking towards WP devices. So today first the first time in a long time, I pre-ordered a Lumia 920 on AT&T and am porting my number over. I simply said enough and I want the device I want this time. I understand for some people changing carriers is not a great option for a number of reasons, but for me, it's not a big deal as coverage where I am is good on AT&T and Verizon (both with LTE as well). So I took the leap. Carriers in the US suck and are raping the customer as much as they can, so I might as well go where the device i want is at least in the process.

You summed up my exact situation. I am currently with Verizon, but pre-ordered a 920 for me and an 820 for the wife today. I was considering holding out for Verizon to show me something in terms of a new WP device, but I am not fired up about the 822. Like you, I simply wanted this device and was tired of being jerked around.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

Looks like I may be doing the same thing as you did.

corn_chowder

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Price-wise how do the plans differ @ AT&T vs. Vzw? How is he process to port your number over? Kind of in the same boat here evaluating my options...

I do want to wait and see the Samsung in Dec though

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Price-wise how do the plans differ @ AT&T vs. Vzw? How is he process to port your number over? Kind of in the same boat here evaluating my options...

I do want to wait and see the Samsung in Dec though

The plans are pretty close if you are a single device account.

450 mins with free nights/WEs - $45
3GB Data - $30
Unlim Messaging - $20 (If needed of course)

The port you just fill out some info (if online) about your existing account and what not. They send you the device, you activate it, then they tell your previous carrier they are porting the number and it gets tied to your new account and simultaneously deactivated on the original carrier. They contact them prior to the actual move to get it ready, but don't tell your carrier to deactivate the line before the port is done or you could lose your number.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The 822 is a fine device. The 8X is also a fine device.

To sit and whine about the camera (when it's generally stated by most reviews that the L920 isn't really noticibly better except in low-light) and claim that you are a photo-hobbiest that depends on his phones camera, is pretty silly in my opinion. If pictures are THAT important to you get a freaking digital camera that will take pictures 100X better than any cell phone out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb