VZW customers, what will you do?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I plan on getting either the Lumia 822 or the 8X. I'm leaning towards the 822 right now, but I want to try them out in the store first.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Made the switch since LTE is available on both for me and neither really gives me any special benefit. Wanted the 920, going to get the 920.

diego15nets

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the frustrated category like many other Verizon customers. If it wasn't for the large family plan we have on verizon (8 lines) I'd switch to AT&T. The 822 is actually a good phone, but it's not the Lumia 920. Knowing $99 will get me an 822 on verizon while AT&T customers are getting arguably the best WP8 phone, the 920, for the same price is frustrating.

I'll be waiting it out for now and see how the Samsung Odyssey stacks up, but not too optimistic. Still dreaming of a Lumia 922, hopefully more rumors show up. In the meantime, I'll stick with my HTC Trophy running on a 7.8 nokia rom from XDA developers.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
For current verizon customers that are frustrated with the 920 situation but want to remain on VZW, what will you do?

Really curious why I can't dig deep enough in the intarwebs to find any leaked info on the Odyssey.

I'm not necessarily upset that the 920 isn't coming to verizon. It would be nice, I liked the feel of it, but when I was messing with it and the 8X last night I couldn't help but tell myself, "Yeah. Cool. But it's not on Verizon."

Surface phone would be nice too... I could just wait forever to get the best device - sometimes I hate being a consumer faced with so many decisions.

First world problems.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I am either getting the ATIV Odyssey or waiting for the Q1 2013 devices.

Reasoning

Passing on:
-HTC 8X: Primarily too little space but also no gyro & screen just a tad smaller than I'd like
-Nokia 822: Screen resolution, do not like design
-Nokia 920: Not available at launch and by the time exclusivity is over will be have 48-64gb *less* potential storage space than ATIV Odyssey & HTC Zenith

Strong possibility:
+Ativ Odyssey: Possible due to nice specs, clean business design - but would prefer no physical home button and better mic/camera. If it does not support wireless charging, I will probably hold off until 2013.

If ATIV does not make the grade...:
+HTC Zenith: Rumored to be quad core and expandable memory, probably will be thicker than Samsung but more stylish

? Nokia 922: Rumored to has 12mp camera - big question is storage space, will it have 32 or 64? 64 would be a slam dunk for this device, but 32 might make me pick the Zenith. Although if there is no MicroSD slot, the ATIV/Zenith will still lead by a potenital addt'l 16-32gb in space.

BOTTOM LINE: ATIV Odyssey will probably do the job but waiting another 3-4 months could yield a flashier device with a bit higher build quality, quad core, AND LESS STUPID NAME!! :), not sure if worth the wait.

***Also regarding AT&T, I was considering switching to them at one point, but they completely dropped the ball on Hurricane Sandy. Verizon was up pretty much 24/7 voice, data, text for myself and my buddies. Most of my friends w/ AT&T though had no service. While there is a lot of fun stuff on a smartphone, in the end it is a communication device, and AT&T failed that test bigtime. VZN has better coverage too.

Last edited:

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the 8X just to try it out and experience WP8. Then I'm gonna return it and wait for specs of the Odyssey, and from there I will decide which phone. (Really really hoping that the Odyssey will have beast specs with a giant battery)

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
not frustrated at all pre ordered the white 822......seems like a solid phone find out in a few days

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I looked at ATT a few days back, but no, the coverage isn't there. I started looking at 822 last night, but no, I want that camera. I don't have anything against HTC in particular, but I sure would like to have more than 16 GB storage, and there are the Nokia apps. To top it off, I did buy Nokia stock a while back, and I believe in the products they're putting out - I just disapprove of the whole exclusive on ATT thing.

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Waiting until around Christmas time to see what happens with the Ativ Odyssey. Right now tt's likely that I'll leave Verizon for AT&T to get the 920, but I could be swayed if long term reviews favor the 8x or the new Samsung blows me away like the 920 does. It sure is hard to wait but hopefully it will pay off.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
99% going with the 8X. After having a chance to use it on two separate occasions, once in mid-October (couldn't do much with it, though) and once yesterday at an AT&T store, it just feels right. I honestly liked the feel of it more than the 920, although the camera on the 920 definitely did a better job with the shots I took.

It's tempting to wait on the ATIV, but I'm not the world's biggest Samsung fan and I'm admittedly a little impatient.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to to wait until wp8 gets tweaked. Too many freezing/rebooting devices for my liking. Also, missing apps from the few we had available in the first place. I'll probably jump in around January. Perhaps something else will be available by then. I've paid my early adopter dues, others can pay theirs now. Lol

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking 8x, but after seeing my Surface get run over by a car and how it took virtually no damage... im thinking Surface Phone!

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have gone from swearing off the 822 and going to at&t to leaning toward the 822. My wife is due for an upgrade in December so I'll let her choose what she wants and see how it does. I'm not due until May so I can test her phone and read way too many reviews and forums. I really want a Nokia and the 822 has specs I can live with. Reviews of the camera and how it looks in person will decide.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the frustrated category like many other Verizon customers. If it wasn't for the large family plan we have on verizon (8 lines) I'd switch to AT&T. The 822 is actually a good phone, but it's not the Lumia 920. Knowing $99 will get me an 822 on verizon while AT&T customers are getting arguably the best WP8 phone, the 920, for the same price is frustrating.

I'll be waiting it out for now and see how the Samsung Odyssey stacks up, but not too optimistic. Still dreaming of a Lumia 922, hopefully more rumors show up. In the meantime, I'll stick with my HTC Trophy running on a 7.8 nokia rom from XDA developers.

I'm with you on the frustration thing. But I have resolved myself to getting getting 822's for the three lines that are ready for upgrades. I would wait, but the existing phones are in dire need of replacing (phone's won't hold charge and glitchy as h3ll).

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, with the ATIV Odyssey looking disappointing I think I'll go with the 8X. I'll be getting it full price. I'm up for renewal in May, so I might only need to go 6 months with it. At that point there should either be some decent upgrade options or news on soon to come phones. Either way I should be good.

ontapbjt

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the Lumia 822. My son will be getting my Trophy. Since my wife's line is eligible for upgrade in January I figured I'd go with the less costly option as a holdover. My hope is that sometime in early 13 Verizon picks up a high end WP8 device that I can jump on. I like the 8x but didn't want to fork out the extra cash at this time.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The 822 is a better phone for me than the 920.

The 920 and 8X were actually quite disappointing when I used them at the AT&T store next to their 820. The 820's AMOLED display at a lower res looked better than the LCD displays (they were less vibrant). And the 820 is snappier than either, probably because of the lower res screen running on the same hardware.

The only thing the 920 has going for it is the BSI sensor and the OIS. The 8X has nothing in its favor. No expandable storage and it will have the worst battery life of the lot.

The 822 will have the best battery life, will run faster, has microSD, and has a replaceable battery. The display is more vibrant and more appealing than the other two.

I was one who was initially wanting the 920, then I liked the 8X, but looking at them all so far, the 822 is going to be the winner.

Even if the 920 were on Verizon for $99, I'd still buy the 822 over it for the same price. It is a better phone in my mind. Also seems it may be the best of the bunch for reception.

Rhodie469

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the 8x pre-ordered, but the more I read online about the 920 the more jealous I am that it's not even an option for me (Verizon customer). I could hold out and wait till next year to see what else comes out, but I have no patience, and the 8X does look great to me.
I'm so torn! There is a 5% chance I'll get the 822, but I guess I'll wait and see tomorrow when I can actually compare them side by side at the verizon store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs