Droid DNA or HTC Zenith?

romeze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just saw the release of the HTC DNA, and it sounds surprisingly familiar with the supposed specs to HTC's Zenith coming soon. 8mp shooter 2.1 front facing, dedicated camera button, quad core, NFC, etc. I am pretty sure we can expect something very similar to this running windows phone 8. Hopefully will include a 32gb model and offer a better color palette than red and black. I am very interested to see if we get a 5 inch 1080p screen, would be ideal for what i want in a Windows phone.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Knowing HTC track record, they have something else brewing. I have a feeling that the8x is a feeler. For instance, titan --->titan 2, one x ---> one x+. I expect an 8x + or some expansion. No doubt.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Knowing HTC track record, they have something else brewing. I have a feeling that the8x is a feeler. For instance, titan --->titan 2, one x ---> one x+. I expect an 8x + or some expansion. No doubt.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Just like all other brands:
iPhone 3G-> IPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 -> IPhone 4S
Galaxy note -> galaxy note II

#justsaying #peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The DNA looks pretty sweet. The only downfall (besides android) is 16gb of storage with no sd card. Seems like an annoying trend HTC is setting. Also it has a 2020 maH battery for such a large device.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not convinced the Zenith exists. The 8X and DNA share the same 16GB of non-expandable memory; HTC likely considers the 8X to be flagship-worthy. No one has even said if WP8 will support 1080p; it's not included in the SDK as of yet. Other than that and the quad-core CPU, the specs are largely identical (camera, audio amp, memory, etc.).

If the Zenith does exist, I can't imagine it coming out before Q2 of 2013. And even then, you're counting on it coming out on Verizon in a timely manner.

If you're not happy with the 8X, you like Android, and you want a new phone soon, go with the DNA. If you're willing to wait, then wait, but no promises. :)

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
If Jellybean/Android software didn't look like complete *** (A$S) - then this phone is a spec monster...

Fortunately WP8 has some really nifty looking devices that will run comparably to this device.

I can definitely see this outselling WP8 with Verizon users, but I'll be part of the happy minority I suppose.

romeze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately my Trophy is on life support and I am up for an upgrade for Verizon. I would have liked to see the Zenith come out within the holiday season. However some good points in this thread have led me to believe I may be waiting for a good while. I like the windows os way to much to even consider apple or android. so it will be the 8x for me.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The only thing the DNA really has going for it over the 8X IMO is the 5" 1080p panel, but it's already been proven by medical professionals that our eyes cannot see the difference the between 768p and 1080p on less than a 7" device. I mean, the iPhone 5's screen is GORGEOUS and isn't even HD. So basically the only thing the DNA has on the 8X is the screen size, not even screen quality.

That said, I'm really, really kicking myself in the *** for getting this Intuition. Awkward to hold, has already been demolished by the DNA, and the Optimus UX is AWFUL. I'm a huge fan of Jelly Bean and the new Motoblur but I hate Touch Wiz, Sense, and the Optimus UX.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
You've seen me gripe before about the 8X pricing, well here is another example.

Why is the 8X $200 again, especially considering a quad core with bigger 1080p screen is the same price? I just don't get it. The DNA has:
But a larger footprint's not the only bleeding edge tech on hand here, as the device plays host to a quad-core S4 Pro clocked at 1.5GHz and buffered by 2GB RAM -- something we'd only seen within the Optimus G and Nexus 4 -- a 2,020mAh battery capable of Qi-compatible wireless charging, an 8-megapixel rear camera capable of 1080p video and Android Jelly Bean

Not spec whore'ing here because we all know that WP8 doesn't need the same stuff to run fluidly, but how can the price be the same when the DNA arguably has more expensive components in it? Does MS want more for the phone's OS than Google does? <<(Serious question)

Not only that, but you're now going to have people cross shopping the two since they come at the same price point. What's to draw them to the 8X other than just the fact that it's a Windows Phone which as we've already seen, is sometimes not enough to sway people away from iOS/Android.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Does MS want more for the phone's OS than Google does? <<(Serious question)
Yes. Google does not charge for Android. They give it away free. In fact, to use Android, OEMs actually pay MICROSOFT for licensing of their technology that is in Android. Yes. Believe it.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Google does not charge for Android. They give it away free. In fact, to use Android, OEMs actually pay MICROSOFT for licensing of their technology that is in Android. Yes. Believe it.

In the case of HTC devices, both Microsoft *and* Apple get paid :)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
you also have to take into account that if Microsoft is going to make its own phone, all of the ODMs might be holding back their best hardware to be the potential contractor for the MS phone.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
It's actually cheaper to make a Windows Phone than an Android device ignoring economics of scale.

Google charges a bit for its app suite. The price for the app suite is steep and it's pretty much mandatory because I believe it include Google Play. After the OEMs pay Google, they have to pay other companies, such as Microsoft, to license their technology as well.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Why is the 8X $200 again, especially considering a quad core with bigger 1080p screen is the same price?

The 8X is not $200. $200 is what Verizon charges for it, in addition to the remainder of the subsidy (which is either charged to you in the monthly fee or in the ETF, should you exit your contract early).

Clearly, Verizon is going to be willing to subsidize an exclusive "halo" device more aggressively than a device it is sharing with AT&T and T-Mobile. Just as the Lumia 920 is only $99 (versus $299 for the equivalent and non-exclusive iPhone), the DNA is going to cost less per capability than the 8X.

The subsidy/kickback model has distorted people's brains for way, WAY too long, and it is really getting annoying.

Guess what? That "free" phone you got on Big Wireless isn't "cheaper" than my phone that I paid $199 for, because over the life of the contract with Big Wireless, you'll pay close to $2,000 more than I will, even factoring in the cost for the phone, because my carrier's monthly rates are oodles cheaper.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The 8X is not $200. $200 is what Verizon charges for it, in addition to the remainder of the subsidy (which is either charged to you in the monthly fee or in the ETF, should you exit your contract early).

Clearly, Verizon is going to be willing to subsidize an exclusive "halo" device more aggressively than a device it is sharing with AT&T and T-Mobile. Just as the Lumia 920 is only $99 (versus $299 for the equivalent and non-exclusive iPhone), the DNA is going to cost less per capability than the 8X.

The subsidy/kickback model has distorted people's brains for way, WAY too long, and it is really getting annoying.

Guess what? That "free" phone you got on Big Wireless isn't "cheaper" than my phone that I paid $199 for, because over the life of the contract with Big Wireless, you'll pay close to $2,000 more than I will, even factoring in the cost for the phone, because my carrier's monthly rates are oodles cheaper.

Yabut.

My contract is 60.00/month with a subsidized device. If I brought my own device in, my contract would still be the same, would it not?

I agree the model is out-dated, but most folks would absolutely balk at paying 550.00 or more right off the hop for a device. The problem is everyone thinks a smartphone's worth is about 100.00- no different than buying a wireless Panasonic home phone from WalMart.

Last edited:

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Yabut.

My contract is 60.00/month with a subsidized device. If I brought my own device in, my contract would still be the same, would it not?

Bingo. The only other option is to go to a pre-paid carrier which I'm hesitant to do. I've seen all the talk about Straight Talk, but in my twisted way of thinking, there has to be a reason it's cheaper that nobody's admitting.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Bingo. The only other option is to go to a pre-paid carrier which I'm hesitant to do. I've seen all the talk about Straight Talk, but in my twisted way of thinking, there has to be a reason it's cheaper that nobody's admitting.
Yep, it is a leap of faith to leave the familiar.

That being said, brmiller1976 and several other articles I have recently read have me truly thinking it may be time to rethink the strategy. As I have the AT&T U-Verse and computer bundle until October 2013 at a good rate, and my contract is up with AT&T wireless in November 2013, that makes me a free agent about this time next year.

Will make make me a smart shopper...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium