Lumia 822 only needs wireless charging plate for wireless charging.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
There has been some discussion if the Verizon Nokia Lumia 822 requires a separate purchase of a wireless charging enabled battery door/back plate to enable wireless charging with the charging plate like the 820 does. Well, I believe that question has now been resolved.

I just went to my local Verizon store on my break and checked out the 822 (BTW looks way better in person than the pics we've all seen online and more slim too). I talked to the rep about the wireless charging feature and he didn't know either. So, we took the battery door/back plate off of the floor model and behold, there were contact pins attached to the back plate coming from where a large, slightly raised black square area of it. So actually all you need to make the wireless charging work is the wireless charging plate! :cool:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought a white 822 this morning and my rrp told me the same thing. Like you said looking at the back cover it looks set up for it already.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I saw that and wondered. With all the stuff I read I was pretty convinced it would not have it. That's awesome.

If you look at the other side, there are 4 contact pins. What are those i wonder?

EDIT: Oh, maybe it doesn't work...

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I saw that and wondered. With all the stuff I read I was pretty convinced it would not have it. That's awesome.

If you look at the other side, there are 4 contact pins. What are those i wonder?

EDIT: Oh, maybe it doesn't work...

I wonder of there is a setting that you need to toggle to enable wireless charging. Otherwise what is the circuitry and pins for on the backplate/battery door?

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I wonder of there is a setting that you need to toggle to enable wireless charging. Otherwise what is the circuitry and pins for on the backplate/battery door?

My guess is that it's for the NFC. If you look in the User Guide (I added a link to it in a previous post), the NFC contact point is in the vicinity of the camera. As a note, I do have NFC enabled on my phone.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There has been some discussion if the Verizon Nokia Lumia 822 requires a separate purchase of a wireless charging enabled battery door/back plate to enable wireless charging with the charging plate like the 820 does. Well, I believe that question has now been resolved.

I just went to my local Verizon store on my break and checked out the 822 (BTW looks way better in person than the pics we've all seen online and more slim too). I talked to the rep about the wireless charging feature and he didn't know either. So, we took the battery door/back plate off of the floor model and behold, there were contact pins attached to the back plate coming from where a large, slightly raised black square area of it. So actually all you need to make the wireless charging work is the wireless charging plate! :cool:

Thanks for the info Patience is not my long suit either especially in slow moving traffic.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, the two pins are for the NFC stuff which obviously is built into the phone/cover and the four pins must be for the wireless charging, which needs a new cover..... maybe.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
never mind, I see I may be wrong which I was really hoping I wasn't, I bet you the circuit is for NFC, the bottom pad that is on the standard back is where there will be connectors for wireless charging :(

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
This issue is so incredibly beat to death.

The wireless charging requires a separate charging shell and a charging plate. Both will be available "at a later time", and I still have no further information on price or availability.

Furthermore, there is no setting to enable wireless charging.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
This issue is so incredibly beat to death.

The wireless charging requires a separate charging shell and a charging plate. Both will be available "at a later time", and I still have no further information on price or availability.

Furthermore, there is no setting to enable wireless charging.

F*(K! :mad:

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't make sense to me as to why it needs to be. Maybe the charging pad is dormant until the NFC tells it to wake up?

I guess? I would have assumed there'd be a mechanism or switch in the shell that would trigger the charging.

EDIT: I just received the phone in Grey. It looks like you're correct - there are four pins on the back that are not in use on the phone. Other controls NFC communication.

Last edited:

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The manual says NFC must be enabled for wireless charging to work.

I've noticed while poking the 'net that there's a flood of new universal NFC/bluetooth/charging accessories, such as stereos and whatnot. Seems iPhone has finally lost its main advantage. But yeah, most of these wireless charging devices use NFC.

Essentially, there will be a plethora of assorted devices you can control just by setting your phone on them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo