Verizon 9xx Early 2013? (who knows?)

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
No idea on the site, but Verizon is expecting a quad-core Lumia built off the 920 series in early 2013. Buzz inside the corporate sales division is it will be called the 940 and feature a Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core chip with a higher end GPU.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
No idea on the site, but Verizon is expecting a quad-core Lumia built off the 920 series in early 2013. Buzz inside the corporate sales division is it will be called the 940 and feature a Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core chip with a higher end GPU.

That sounds all great but I'd seriously be worried about battery life with that S4 Pro.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd be shocked if Nokia signed with att to have the 920 exclusively for 6 months only to have Nokia put its specs to shame with a 920 successor on another carrier. That's not the sort of relationship I'd think they'd want with att.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd be shocked if Nokia signed with att to have the 920 exclusively for 6 months only to have Nokia put its specs to shame with a 920 successor on another carrier. That's not the sort of relationship I'd think they'd want with att.

You shouldn't be. We'll probably see a new wave a devices in Spring from every OEM. There is also nothing to suggest that the next Lumia wouldn't make its way to AT&T as well.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Yet they wouldn't want a premiere device on the other major carrier in the US? The 920 exclusivity came down to guarantees and subsidies. AT&T guaranteed a certain number of phone sales and will pay for that many phones whether they sell them or not. They also paid a part of it up front, from what has been heard. And they also agreed to massively subsidize the phone. Verizon was willing to sell it and promote it, but they were not willing to guarantee a certain amount of sales or subsidize it down to $99.

Most of the exclusivity benefits will come within the first couple of months anyways. AT&T does it to get people to switch to them or to ensure their customers don't go somewhere else. But by March, the sales of the 920 will probably have leveled off and declined from their peak.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Of course Verizon did not make a commitment for any of the WP8 devices because none can use Verizon's network to it's full potential (3G and 4G LTE), as none support SVDO nor the 512bit encryption needed for it. Check the CDMA coding for them and you will see is at 256bit.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Of course Verizon did not make a commitment for any of the WP8 devices because none can use Verizon's network to it's full potential (3G and 4G LTE), as none support SVDO nor the 512bit encryption needed for it. Check the CDMA coding for them and you will see is at 256bit.

OMG. Enough already. Verizon currently has 2 WP8 devices for sale.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Wrong, the 822 supports SVDO. I know because I had it.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't support it at 256bit encryption, unless Nokia actually tweaked WP8 to have it with 512bit encryption. That could explain why the different model and different shape compared to the 920.

Very interesting....

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't support it at 256bit encryption, unless Nokia actually tweaked WP8 to have it with 512bit encryption. That could explain why the different model and different shape compared to the 920.

Very interesting....

The Lumia 822 is related to the Lumia 820.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Very interesting....

No. The different model and shape are because VZW did not like the back cover on the 820 (thought it was too difficult to remove for the user) and they disliked the low amount of storage on the device.

The more rounded shape was requested to distinguish it. The higher ups were worried that if it looked too much like the 820 or the 810 that people would assume it only had 8GB of onboard storage. They wanted it to be a unique looking phone for the lineup to be sure consumers would understand there was a difference, especially in the onboard storage front. The back cover needed to be easy to remove, especially since that is where the SD expansion and SIM is. Verizon's testers liked the look of the 820's cover, but they felt it was too cumbersome for removal.

Verizon was actually a bit disappointed in the 920 and the 8X because they like selling phones with SD expansion. While they do want people to purchase larger data packages, they also know greater local storage will mean less traffic on their network and that that will boost speeds for everyone. I believe they also like selling the microSDs to customers as well.

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Mr. MacPhisto

That's an interesting comment about the SD card. The new Verizon HTC DNA also has no SD card slot and I read in a couple places that this was at Verizon's request.

You mention a 920 variant should show up in early 2013. Does that mean Jan/Feb or just sometime before summer?

Regards!

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yet they wouldn't want a premiere device on the other major carrier in the US? The 920 exclusivity came down to guarantees and subsidies. AT&T guaranteed a certain number of phone sales and will pay for that many phones whether they sell them or not. They also paid a part of it up front, from what has been heard. And they also agreed to massively subsidize the phone. Verizon was willing to sell it and promote it, but they were not willing to guarantee a certain amount of sales or subsidize it down to $99.

Most of the exclusivity benefits will come within the first couple of months anyways. AT&T does it to get people to switch to them or to ensure their customers don't go somewhere else. But by March, the sales of the 920 will probably have leveled off and declined from their peak.

that's all well and good. My point was there is an exclusivity length of time. That is runkred to be 6 months. As heavily as att seems to be subsidizing the handset, I wouldn't doubt that six month estimate; perhaps it is longer. Bottom line, we won't be seeing the 920 (or variants) on Verizon until as soon as the title suggests. That's not how exclusivity works. There would literally be no point... Not unless Nokia is keen on going to court. Of course they could cut another deal with att too. That's certainly possible.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
that's all well and good. My point was there is an exclusivity length of time. That is runkred to be 6 months. As heavily as att seems to be subsidizing the handset, I wouldn't doubt that six month estimate; perhaps it is longer. Bottom line, we won't be seeing the 920 (or variants) on Verizon until as soon as the title suggests. That's not how exclusivity works. There would literally be no point... Not unless Nokia is keen on going to court. Of course they could cut another deal with att too. That's certainly possible.
At&t has the 820 as an exclusive, Verizon got a better model in the 822 variant. No reason why they can't do the same with the 920.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

That's not how it works. You have an exclusive phone, but that's it. A different model number with some differences in guts and the phone is no longer a 920. Throw a 12MP camera on the spec and it is no longer the same phone.

Nokia likely has covered their bases to ensure they can put similar phones on other carriers. Frankly, after January AT&T will care much less anyways. Sales will dip in the early part of the year. The next major launch will be close to Easter.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
That's not how it works. You have an exclusive phone, but that's it. A different model number with some differences in guts and the phone is no longer a 920. Throw a 12MP camera on the spec and it is no longer the same phone.

Nokia likely has covered their bases to ensure they can put similar phones on other carriers. Frankly, after January AT&T will care much less anyways. Sales will dip in the early part of the year. The next major launch will be close to Easter.

Not... really. Look at the Droid line. Look at the iPhone line (prior to exclusivity loss). They have exclusivity to the 9xx line of phones. I am sure anything can happen, but I am doubtful. Highly. In the past, Nokia hasn't reinvented their flagship device so soon. The 900 series was reinvented because of windows phone 7 limitations. And, IMO, it hurt them. Like I said, stranger things have happened, but this entire thread is founded on nothing but rumors. And it's not even credibly sourced rumors.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Not... really. Look at the Droid line. Look at the iPhone line (prior to exclusivity loss). They have exclusivity to the 9xx line of phones. I am sure anything can happen, but I am doubtful. Highly. In the past, Nokia hasn't reinvented their flagship device so soon. The 900 series was reinvented because of windows phone 7 limitations. And, IMO, it hurt them. Like I said, stranger things have happened, but this entire thread is founded on nothing but rumors. And it's not even credibly sourced rumors.

No, they have the 920. Nothing about the "line" of phones.

The Droid "line" isn't a line at all, it is a branding that Verizon has secured the rights to via Lucasfilm. They have licensed the Droid name for branding and have a deal where no other company can use that name, but that is very different from a line of phones. It is a Verizon brand.

What if they do an S4 Pro (quad core) with 12.1MP and call it the Lumia 1010? Then it's no longer in the 900 series, is it?

AT&T gets exclusives on phones. The iPhone was a phone, not a line. They maintained on exclusive on the phones and had to continually give Apple more money to insure they didn't let Verizon have a version when the exclusivity term would run out. That changed when Apple tapped out its growth and realized they couldn't grow much more if they were limited to one US carrier.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

WHHAAAAATTT!!!!!???
There are rumors in the "Rumored Devices" forum!! I'm at a loss! What does life even mean, anymore?!?

And also.. A rumor that is credibly sourced isn't a rumor.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Mr. MacPhisto has been around these parts for a bit and what he's said has been pretty accurate so I trust him a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb