I really like the Titan II...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I was just going through some devices of the WP7 family. Found the Titan II. Quite impressed I must say. Any idea if a Titan III is on it's way? Also, if I buy this, I am assuming I am entitled for a 7.8 update right?

Now, the real question, is it good? Also, does it have 3G technology? I am in India and I plan to order it SIM unlocked from US. So, will the network/data/call/msgs work??

Thanx!

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
The successor to the Titan II is currently codenamed the HTC Zenith. It is a Windows Phone 8 device reportedly scheduled for Q1 2013 that will likely be priced around $249 in the USA with contract; off contract price for the Zenith will likely be very expensive and obviously it is quite expensive.

It is highly unlikely any company will release another high end WP7 device like the Titan II as WP7 is being phased out in all pricing categories except the budget range; an example of a new WP7 budget device is the Nokia Lumia 510. Titan II will most likely get WP7.8 but it is not guaranteed.

Just keep in mind, if you buy a WP7 device, you will be restricted to the currently available WP7 apps. Though some new WP7 apps will come out, the majority of focus will be on WP8 apps which the Titan II cannot run. Thus if you want newer apps and games, you'd probably better off considering a WP8 device - though you may have to sacrifice screen size and features to get a WP8 phone at a similar price to the Titan II. On the other hand, if you do not really care about apps and will just use the phone for its built-in phone, email, and social networking features, then the Titan II wouldn't be a bad buy.

If available in your country, you might want to consider an HTC 8X which is not as big as the Titan II (only 4.3") but will offer you the new WP8 app ecosystem with faster processor and has an even better camera. Another great option is the Nokia 820. Finally, there is the Samsung ATIV S which is similar both in size and styling to the Titan II, but it runs WP8 - of course it is also quite expensive currently, moreso than any of the devices mentioned so far. There are also some budget WP8 phones out like the Nokia 620 and HTC 8S but be cautious that these phones cannot run all of the WP8 apps as they only have 512mb of RAM instead of the 1GB of RAM more expensive WP8 phones have. Thus I'd recommend spending a bit more for the 8X or 820 so you get access to all of the WP8 apps.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Cool. I plan to buy a lower end WP8. I would love to dig into the 8X. But, am already making some other purchase leaving enough money to only get myself a 8S. In fact, that was the same reason I was looking at a WP7. I wanted to have a bigger screen. But you are right, there are more negatives than +.

Also, you mentioned the 8S can't run all the apps, could this mean some day to day apps will suffer. I don't want to repeat my stuttering-Andriod experience again. In fact, that's why I am leaving Android.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Since the 8S only has 512mb RAM, some higher-end games just plain won't be available - the store will prevent you from downloading them based on your phone spec. Day to day apps should not be affected, however, but again the tradeoff is there are a number of games/apps (probably mostly high-end games) that you won't be able to download at all on the 8S. In other words what is available will be smooth, but you may be shut out from some games on the 8S that use heavy system resources. The 8S is still a better choice than the Titan II, though, if it can only come down to those two phones.

How much more is the Nokia 820 over the 8S? If its not a ton, it would probably be worth saving up that extra chunk, as the Nokia 820 is fully featured w/ 1GB RAM. In the US, the 820 is significantly cheaper than the 8X...

In the end, though, a budget WP8 phone like the 8S with its smooth performance will still give you miles better experience than a budget android - with the android stuttering and sputtering along. So if the 820 is out of the question, I would go with the 8S, as there should still be a wide selection of games that only need 512mb and I believe most apps should be available.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Since the 8S only has 512mb RAM, some higher-end games just plain won't be available - the store will prevent you from downloading them based on your phone spec. Day to day apps should not be affected, however, but again the tradeoff is there are a number of games/apps (probably mostly high-end games) that you won't be able to download at all on the 8S. In other words what is available will be smooth, but you may be shut out from some games on the 8S that use heavy system resources. The 8S is still a better choice than the Titan II, though, if it can only come down to those two phones.

How much more is the Nokia 820 over the 8S? If its not a ton, it would probably be worth saving up that extra chunk, as the Nokia 820 is fully featured w/ 1GB RAM. In the US, the 820 is significantly cheaper than the 8X...

In the end, though, a budget WP8 phone like the 8S with its smooth performance will still give you miles better experience than a budget android - with the android stuttering and sputtering along. So if the 820 is out of the question, I would go with the 8S, as there should still be a wide selection of games that only need 512mb and I believe most apps should be available.

Oh thank you so much. I honestly don't care about high end games as I can't even afford them...
My problem would be if day to day experience is hindered. I honestly don't like the 820 though it has very cool specs.
But the 8S is just perfect for me. The only two things now worry me is the 4GB internal memory and the 4" ( hey both are 4 @_O) screen size. I'm coming a 4.3" screen. I would be doing a good amount of reading ( websites, forums) on the phone. Will that be a problem?

Tons of reading and music is the only purpose TBH.
PS: Since we are at it, what colour would u recommend? BLUE or Domino Black?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh thank you so much. I honestly don't care about high end games as I can't even afford them...
My problem would be if day to day experience is hindered.

That definitely won't be the case. Even the lowest spec'd Windows Phones run butter smooth, unlike Android.

I honestly don't like the 820 though it has very cool specs.

It is a shame you don't like the 820 since the specs seem to match exactly what you are looking for - but preference always plays a large part in phones so it is understandable. Then again, since you read a lot you probably want to get the 8S/8X LCD over the 820's AMOLED, as LCD is better with black text on white background than AMOLED which struggles with all-white backgrounds.

But the 8S is just perfect for me. The only two things now worry me is the 4GB internal memory

The usable space will probably only be in the 2.5gb-3gb range after you account for the size of the OS and apps that come with the phone. That remaining space must hold all of your apps; most apps are 25mb-250mb in size, so that is your call if it is enough space; for a user that isn't into games much it would probably be enough. Remember, though, for music and movies you can always use the microSD slot to hold media. You can't use it to hold apps, but you can at least offload all media to a 8gb MicroSD card and use the phone's 4gb for pure apps and OS.

and the 4" ( hey both are 4 @_O) screen size. I'm coming a 4.3" screen. I would be doing a good amount of reading ( websites, forums) on the phone. Will that be a problem?

Of course, I can't answer that for you. It really depends if you can deal with a slightly smaller screen size. I've used 3.8" for over 1.5 years and it has been fine - then again, I do want at least 4.3" on my next phone (preferably 4.5") as I'd prefer to have to do less zooming and see videos bigger... you will have to do a bit more panning and zooming but a smaller screen certainly is doable. So, your call - is the significant extra cost of the 8X worth the 0.3" larger screen, higher resolution (8X:341ppi vs 8S:224ppi), and 12gb additional storage? That 8X may cost a lot more, but you will get bigger size, clearer text, wider game selection, and more storage space for a phone you are probably going to keep for a long time - might it be worth saving up for? Maybe not, boil it down to money vs inches/res/GB and there is your answer on whether the 8S is good enough or whether you should save up for something more :)

PS: Since we are at it, what colour would u recommend? BLUE or Domino Black?

That is hugely personal preference, but I would definitely go blue for myself... or High Rise Gray/Yellow.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
That definitely won't be the case. Even the lowest spec'd Windows Phones run butter smooth, unlike Android.

It is a shame you don't like the 820 since the specs seem to match exactly what you are looking for - but preference always plays a large part in phones so it is understandable. Then again, since you read a lot you probably want to get the 8S/8X LCD over the 820's AMOLED, as LCD is better with black text on white background than AMOLED which struggles with all-white backgrounds.

The usable space will probably only be in the 2.5gb-3gb range after you account for the size of the OS and apps that come with the phone. That remaining space must hold all of your apps; most apps are 25mb-250mb in size, so that is your call if it is enough space; for a user that isn't into games much it would probably be enough. Remember, though, for music and movies you can always use the microSD slot to hold media. You can't use it to hold apps, but you can at least offload all media to a 8gb MicroSD card and use the phone's 4gb for pure apps and OS.

Of course, I can't answer that for you. It really depends if you can deal with a slightly smaller screen size. I've used 3.8" for over 1.5 years and it has been fine - then again, I do want at least 4.3" on my next phone (preferably 4.5") as I'd prefer to have to do less zooming and see videos bigger... you will have to do a bit more panning and zooming but a smaller screen certainly is doable. So, your call - is the significant extra cost of the 8X worth the 0.3" larger screen, higher resolution (8X:341ppi vs 8S:224ppi), and 12gb additional storage? That 8X may cost a lot more, but you will get bigger size, clearer text, wider game selection, and more storage space for a phone you are probably going to keep for a long time - might it be worth saving up for? Maybe not, boil it down to money vs inches/res/GB and there is your answer on whether the 8S is good enough or whether you should save up for something more :)

That is hugely personal preference, but I would definitely go blue for myself... or High Rise Gray/Yellow.

Thanks for your reply buddy. I agree with u..my problem is the 820 just looks like a plastic slab. Mundane and boring. I'm OK with some less screen size as long as it is fine to read and write...

I think I will have to test it out before taking the plunge. .the difference,l at this point is of almost 300$ between the 8X & 8S (19,000 vs 35,000)..
So it is a totally out of question. Unless the price comes down 20,000 or something, I can manage an extra 5K...but I think I just love the 8S's form factor and design...

Soooo much better than the boring 820...so ya...I think I will wait for like a month..

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply buddy. I agree with u..my problem is the 820 just looks like a plastic slab. Mundane and boring. I'm OK with some less screen size as long as it is fine to read and write...

I think I will have to test it out before taking the plunge. .the difference,l at this point is of almost 300$ between the 8X & 8S (19,000 vs 35,000)..
So it is a totally out of question. Unless the price comes down 20,000 or something, I can manage an extra 5K...but I think I just love the 8S's form factor and design...

Soooo much better than the boring 820...so ya...I think I will wait for like a month..

It does sound like a big price difference... Do the stores in your area offer accidental breakage insurance policies in case you drop the phone and crack the screen? You might want to also consider potential repair/replacement costs, which would favor the 8S greatly.

From your comments, it sounds like you have your mind set on the 8S, so you might as well check it out in person and if you like it consider going for it - I don't think the storage space will be an issue, in your case I believe it will all boil down to the screen and that you'd need to see in person.

Note that there may be an advantage to waiting (as always) since the 8X should come down in price in a few months when the HTC Zenith is released, don't know how much though. Right now I feel the 8X is artificially inflated in price because it is the best HTC has to offer on WP8, but IMO it is a bit overpriced for what you are getting; not that it is bad or anything, but generally the type of hardware that the 8X has runs in a price bracket just a notch below where it is currently. I believe it should be about 25% cheaper than it is currently going for, but with no other high end WP8 phone I guess HTC is compelled to sell it at a higher price as it is the best they have to offer at the moment - even if the hardware doesn't quite justify the high price. If my guesstimate is right, when the HTC Zenith comes out they will likely lower the price of the 8X to around 27,500-30,000 range - but that won't be until Feb-March 2013.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It does sound like a big price difference... Do the stores in your area offer accidental breakage insurance policies in case you drop the phone and crack the screen? You might want to also consider potential repair/replacement costs, which would favor the 8S greatly.

From your comments, it sounds like you have your mind set on the 8S, so you might as well check it out in person and if you like it consider going for it - I don't think the storage space will be an issue, in your case I believe it will all boil down to the screen and that you'd need to see in person.

Note that there may be an advantage to waiting (as always) since the 8X should come down in price in a few months when the HTC Zenith is released, don't know how much though. Right now I feel the 8X is artificially inflated in price because it is the best HTC has to offer on WP8, but IMO it is a bit overpriced for what you are getting; not that it is bad or anything, but generally the type of hardware that the 8X has runs in a price bracket just a notch below where it is currently. I believe it should be about 25% cheaper than it is currently going for, but with no other high end WP8 phone I guess HTC is compelled to sell it at a higher price as it is the best they have to offer at the moment - even if the hardware doesn't quite justify the high price. If my guesstimate is right, when the HTC Zenith comes out they will likely lower the price of the 8X to around 28,000 range.

No...here in India, the moment you walk out, the phone or any gadget is your problem...unless its Apple.
What problems should I anticipate with the 8S? I know the 8X has plenty of hardware issues and that's why I am staying away from it. Screen scratches, discoloration at the edges etc..The 920 is no less. There was this one member who's screen literally shattered when he was getting off the car. So much for the hammer and nail test. And Gorilla Glass My ass...

If the 8S is equally bad, it would be wise to stay away. Isn't it?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
No...here in India, the moment you walk out, the phone or any gadget is your problem...unless its Apple.
What problems should I anticipate with the 8S? I know the 8X has plenty of hardware issues and that's why I am staying away from it. Screen scratches, discoloration at the edges etc..The 920 is no less. There was this one member who's screen literally shattered when he was getting off the car. So much for the hammer and nail test. And Gorilla Glass My ass...

If the 8S is equally bad, it would be wise to stay away. Isn't it?

All of the new phones use Gorilla Glass 2 on the screen, so I don't think it will make much of a difference in breaking, though arguably the 920 might be a bit more fragile since the glass is curved and raised a bit. The only reason you see more reports of the 920 and 8X is because those are the phones that have sold the most - they don't even sell the 8S in the USA at all.

In terms of the 8X discoloration, I assume this is a defect in some batches of the soft coating, but note that the 8S uses exactly the same soft coating. So if HTC is still having an issue with discoloration in some batches, I would venture that the 8S would have the same potential for issue as the 8X with this. In fact, I'd say the 8S you buy has the same potential for all of the problems of the 8X, with exception of the rebooting as this was a software issue that has been fixed.

From my own handling and reading reports on the forums, and I know you don't want to hear this, but the less exciting looking Nokia 822 appears to be the most durable of all of the phones. The screen does not use curved glass (920 has this), which might make it less susceptible to breakage, it is literally built like a tank (or a solid slab as you called it), and it uses a hard matte coating in the black color & hard glossy coating in the white color. It is probably the least stylish Windows Phone 8 device, but if you are going on pure likelihood to stay intact over time I would probably put my bet on the 822 over any of the other Windows Phone 8 devices out there... Second place would likely be the 820, which I venture would be just as durable with exception of exterior shell, but since the exterior shell on the 820 is cheaply replaceable with interchangeable colors that doesn't really matter. After that I'd say its probably a toss up, though Nokia is the most likely to help you with an out of warranty problem vs all the other companies.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh thanks...i read one of them was ONLY CDMA and 4G...can I use it here in India? Are they selling an unlocked/3G, GSM?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720