Phase I - done. Now how about Phase II...?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
OK, the Lumia 920, the 820, the HTC 8x/8S and the extremely lower end ones, the 510s and the 610s are all out. Well almost. My question comes from the fact that they have left some serious space for improvements in these current flagship phones.

Take the 8S for example, (which BTW I might buy) the very miniscule internal memory of 4GB.

8X and Lumia920 - weak Gorilla Glass (scratches and easily shatters) and the lack of a memory card.

So, will the next phase cover up for these short comings. Also, what phones are lined up for phase 2? Any ideas? A more confirmed-like rumor would help...

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen/heard rumors for the next hardware releases, but I bet you we'll get a glimpse during MWC 2013 in February.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh Feb? Phew...I guess I am very happy with the 8S then..
If Feb it is announced, it wont release before June..

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
8X and Lumia920 - weak Gorilla Glass (scratches and easily shatters)

I just wanted to point out that nearly every premium smartphone released this year of any type (not just hese two) uses the same Gorilla Glass 2 protection. I doubt that will change in the next 6 months. It appears, however, some like the performance of the original Gorilla Glass better than Gorilla Glass 2.

Quite a few people with the Samsung Galaxy S3, even, are stating that they feel the GG2 (which is 0.2mm thinner than GG1) is not as scratch resistent as GG1.

Last edited:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So, will the next phase cover up for these short comings. Also, what phones are lined up for phase 2? Any ideas? A more confirmed-like rumor would help...

As I stated before, I think all phones this year and next year will likely use Gorilla Glass 2, the thinner version of the original Gorilla Glass. So that is one area that is unlikely to be avoided anytime soon. But:

The confirmed include:
Samsung ATIV S - 4.8" SAMOLED screen, 16gb or 32gb of internal storage versions available, MicroSD slot, same chipset as 920/8X, Gorilla Glass 2 (virtually all phones use this now), extremely light and thin despite large size, likely expensive. Sleek business styling, but all thin plastic like the Galaxy S3. Camera not quite as good as the 920 or 8X; Audio Mic not as good as the 920 but comparable to the 8X.

The persistent rumors I have heard include:
HTC Zenith - 4.7" Quad Core device
Nokia 922 - Either A) A thinner, lighter, but similar otherwise version of the 920, or B) a quad core version of the 920, or C) both a&b
Samsung ATIV Odyssey - 4.65" version of the ATIV S
Samsung Marco - 4.0" budget phone w/ business styling - meant to complete with the 620/8S, but IMO it is far uglier than either of those.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It will be fun. I am curious to see what the follow ups will be. It will show if anyone besides Nokia and HTC are in it to win it with WP. Also, I would be very surprised to see Nokia not have follow up devices between now and Feb. They need sales, so I am betting a steady diet of Nokia, mostly mid-range, will continue.

I do think the HTC Zenith is a good bet to get released. A real Hero device from HTC by this Spring.

I also believe we will see some Nokia's with physical keyboards, most likely in the markets where Symbian devices always sold well.

I am betting a SERIOUS 920 follow up for the Spring/Summer from Nokia.

I am worried about Samsung. If the ATIV line is sluggish out of the gate, I would not be shocked to see them focus more on Tablets withWindows 8 and work on Tizen branded devices, which they would control.

Gdwheel

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
As I stated before, I think all phones this year and next year will likely use Gorilla Glass 2, the thinner version of the original Gorilla Glass. So that is one area that is unlikely to be avoided anytime soon. But:

The confirmed include:
Samsung ATIV S - 4.8" SAMOLED screen, 16gb or 32gb of internal storage versions available, MicroSD slot, same chipset as 920/8X, Gorilla Glass 2 (virtually all phones use this now), extremely light and thin despite large size, likely expensive. Sleek business styling, but all thin plastic like the Galaxy S3. Camera not quite as good as the 920 or 8X; Audio Mic not as good as the 920 but comparable to the 8X.

The persistent rumors I have heard include:
HTC Zenith - 4.7" Quad Core device
Nokia 922 - Either A) A thinner, lighter, but similar otherwise version of the 920, or B) a quad core version of the 920, or C) both a&b
Samsung ATIV Odyssey - 4.65" version of the ATIV S
Samsung Marco - 4.0" budget phone w/ business styling - meant to complete with the 620/8S, but IMO it is far uglier than either of those.

Which carriers are expected to get these devices, if it is known?

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I hope Verizon presses Nokia to add MicroSD to the 922.

Verizon is very wishy washy on SD card slots. Less internal storage with no slot = bigger data plan but less customer satisfaction. Having an SD slot allows Verizon to sell SDs to customers and gain that massive markup. The ideal situation is a phone like the Razr M that is a flagship in every way but has beans for internal storage so customers either buy a card or a higher plan.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is very wishy washy on SD card slots. Less internal storage with no slot = bigger data plan but less customer satisfaction. Having an SD slot allows Verizon to sell SDs to customers and gain that massive markup. The ideal situation is a phone like the Razr M that is a flagship in every way but has beans for internal storage so customers either buy a card or a higher plan.

Yes, I want the Windows Phone version of that. 16-32GB internal memory + MicroSD. I have a nearly 50gb music collection transcoded to 128kbps so even a 32gb phone w/o microSD won't cut it if I want to carry everything around locally. Cloud is great with LTE, but nothing beats internal storage for reliability.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I keep forgetting you're a Verizon employee. I've submitted my resume for sales/management development, if only to be in on the rumors :wink:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually, what is bothering me is the LACK of rumors. I know this is stupid on my part- the WP8 devices have been on the ground for a little over a month? Makes total sense that it will be closer to CES or MWC before more devices start really rolling into the gossip mill.

It is just there are ALWAYS Android rumors, and BB10 is about to kick off. I would like some stuff slipping around the Tech sites about WP 8 just to keep things rolling.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
With CES just around the corner, will anything new from Windows Phone make an appearance? Just wondering...
If not, I won't be surprised...

Sent from my DROID RAZR on JB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss