Just about to get lumia 920, but then I hear...950 will have a 12 mp camera

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you the 950 is absolutely amazing. It will blow your mind!! I have actually seen it. . . I cried for days. I went home and threw my 920 in the toilet and then **** on it. The technology in this 950, I didn't know even exist yet. Its almost alien technology. I can't say any more. I'm being watched right now, I've already said to much.

+ This. Best laugh I've had while waiting out a delay at an airport in a minute.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just about to get lumia 920, but then I hear...

Even then, the new flagship may not have "all the goodies" of 920, such as the OIS camera. Just like with the N8. N8 was the flagship of it's time. However until the 808 Pureview (2012) there was no direct upgrade that had everything the N8 had. They had the N9, which was a different OS, while nice and flashy, traded off a lot from what the N8 had. Then came the Lumias, neither of which came even close to the camera and feature of N8.

Given, yes, that shift was from Symbian to WP, while now it's gonna be WP to WP but still. I don't expect that the next flagship will have an equally good or better camera.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

I guess they all do that, but at least Apple doesn't have other models for sale that do certain things better then their flagship..

This is really a transition thing. A lot of the 808 camera magic is in the software. The Symbian software is quite different from Windows Phone. Nokia had invested quite a lot in Symbian and didn't want to lose it all. I imagine there were certain internal people that may have been very upset if the 808 wasn't released. I think now they can move on and work on Lumia.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Even then, the new flagship may not have "all the goodies" of 920, such as the OIS camera. Just like with the N8. N8 was the flagship of it's time. However until the 808 Pureview (2012) there was no direct upgrade that had everything the N8 had. They had the N9, which was a different OS, while nice and flashy, traded off a lot from what the N8 had. Then came the Lumias, neither of which came even close to the camera and feature of N8.

Given, yes, that shift was from Symbian to WP, while now it's gonna be WP to WP but still. I don't expect that the next flagship will have an equally good or better camera.

True. I just hope that with the help of Microsoft they can port the technology to WP faster and get it in production. I am still not sure what this is:

nokia-41-megapixel-nokia-808-pureview-windows-phone-11.jpg

It looks like a concept phone... but I am not sure if its real. The adreno 320 can't handle the load from that sensor.. at least not with oversampling. And I think it only supports up to 20Mpix camera modules. But then again.. the BCM 2763 in the 808 can't support it either, but they made it work with that extra DSP in there.. I still don't know who made that chip, but I assume it was Broadcom.

oh.. i just noticed something. That picture is kind of old.. 5-6 months I think, but look at the windows key.. its the new one... hm

As far as the N8 to 808 transition... that took about two years, but I still think that the 808 was its own project, with its own separate timeline.. I don't think it had much to do with replacing/succeeding the N8.. its not even an N series device, but you are right.. in terms of feature set its the only plausible successor.

This is really a transition thing. A lot of the 808 camera magic is in the software.
Yes it is. The whole system (dual GPU/DSP), the oversampling, the camera app, and the UI necessary to take advantage of it all are all heavily based on Symbian's structure, which is very modular.. that helps a lot in this case, and its also based on a real-time kernel.

The Symbian software is quite different from Windows Phone. Nokia had invested quite a lot in Symbian and didn't want to lose it all. I imagine there were certain internal people that may have been very upset if the 808 wasn't released. I think now they can move on and work on Lumia.
They kept saying that it was a 5 year project.. so ya, I would assume that getting to market was the last push the old "symbian team" could manage before things started to change. I even remember that Elop coming on stage before they presented it in Barcelona.. he didn't seem all that excited considering what they had in hand.

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I spoke to a trustable source (for the US) and he said that Verizon is getting a new Nokia that'll be a beefed up 920. They planned the 822 originally for holidays, and then they're gonna get a crazy one

The Lumia 922 may come for Verizon once the exclusivity period ends with AT&T but I highly doubt that the specs will be much if any different from the Lumia 920 currently available.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Post counts don't mean that a person is ignorant of the platform. I read wpcentral multiple times a day, along with wmpoweruser, winsupersite, aawp, verge, engadget, and multiple other sites looking for wp news. I have also bought a focus, l900, and l920 on their release days, while being very informed on what I was looking to buy months in advance. Yet I have 22, now 23 posts on here, does that make Me uninformed too? One thing I hate when reading tech blogs is the amount of self righteousness in the comments and forums. Don't be that guy..

This isn't about you, first of all. So no need to defend or make excuses for posts you did not make. I'll stand on my earlier comment. SPECIFICALLY, he asked "Thoughts? validity of rumors?" I gave my thoughts as well as what I thought about his rumor. What's your beef? Post count? Give me a break.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
You know it has become a strategy to build up on future products on some companies so the expectations fail the actual future products .
Iphone 5 is a good phone coming from 4S , but the expectations and the bar were set too high , it failed , its not failure of sales , its failure of surprise and freshness .

I think the next war the companies will use is THIS ONE , build up future products which would decrease current sales and kill future devices too.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I hear the Nokia Lumia 980 is soon to be announced......8 GB Ram , 64 core processor, and comes with the new "Mr. Belvedere Mode" it makes your meals and does your laundry!

mr-belvedere.jpg

JacksonSQD

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Eh, that's the problem with marketing these days; Over-promise, but under-deliver. But for the most part, people usually don't care.

Oktay Gardener

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds really fine. I'm just sad that the Windows Phone 8 OS is still nowhere near usable. They could at least fix the big delay with notifications. A notification center later on is a must... :/

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
But also another reason why I think the new flagship might not have all the bells and whistles, at least in the camera department is to cater to a different market. I'd imagine they would also try to make a high end flagship that would appeal to those who arnt interested in the camera and arn't interested in the tradeoffs that the camera brings. That is a huge reason for the weight and thickness of the 920. Even if I think neither is an issue, it still is an issue to some, so I personally think Nokias next flagship might be more of a "flagship for the masses", lighter, thinner, etc.

Just like with N8. It took up till 808 and 920 until there was a comparable camera. While I'm sure it was also partially due to the different OSs being used, but let's face it, having that huge ass camera bulge there is not something that necessarily attracts to masses. I'm sure part of fe. iPhones charm is in how thin and light it is while still having nice feeling materials. I don't think the cameras are a niche or a gimmick, but in a way at the same time they are. I wouldnt consider getting a phone anymore with a camera worse than N8/920, but not all value it high.

As for WP8 to the previous poster, you would have to pay me a lot to make me go iPhone or Android. Sure isn't perfect, but what is?

germcevoy

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the Lumia 920 is safe for a while yet. Nokia don't have the production capacity for another flagship. They can't make enough 920's as it is so it makes no sense to announce a replacement. The Lumia 620 is on it's way and will probably outsell the 920 further bottlenecking production. If you like the 920 then buy it now.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Get the phone that suits you today. Unless you want to go off the countless rumors online...something new and 'better' is always around the corner. You'll never be satisfied if you constantly chase some phone on the horizon.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Get the phone that suits you today. Unless you want to go off the countless rumors online...something new and 'better' is always around the corner. You'll never be satisfied if you constantly chase some phone on the horizon.

And that is exactly what it boils down to, and why I got the 822 now. Next spring, my wife will get the 822 and I'll get the next best thing.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That is one of the problems I have with 24 month long contracts, keeps me tied in too long. I end up waiting a while at the end of my contract so I secure whatever phone I have my eye on. Then I worry about what is coming next. Technology is so rewarding, yet so cruel to it's greatest followers. We are like ancient mariners heading for the horizon looking for new lands, when we get there we look and notice yet another horizon with the promise of new greener pastures.

My choices usually boil down to whether I can cope any longer with the gadget I have. My last phone was going good, lasted for 5 months after the end of the contract but was starting to lag a bit. I ended up pulling the trigger and grabbing the Lumia 920. I just couldn't see anything more compelling coming up before Q2 next year.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
lol I had a good larf in this thread. :excited:

It reminds of those other Verizon rumor threads on this board - "922 with 20MP camera coming on Black Friday"... "Quad Core 922 coming around Christmas"... "1022 coming on Easter with 40MP and quad core!".

JacksonSQD

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
That is one of the problems I have with 24 month long contracts, keeps me tied in too long. I end up waiting a while at the end of my contract so I secure whatever phone I have my eye on. Then I worry about what is coming next. Technology is so rewarding, yet so cruel to it's greatest followers. We are like ancient mariners heading for the horizon looking for new lands, when we get there we look and notice yet another horizon with the promise of new greener pastures.

My choices usually boil down to whether I can cope any longer with the gadget I have. My last phone was going good, lasted for 5 months after the end of the contract but was starting to lag a bit. I ended up pulling the trigger and grabbing the Lumia 920. I just couldn't see anything more compelling coming up before Q2 next year.
Yeah, the 24 month contracts are far too long :(
Nearly at the end of my current contract though, which is good, but I do wish it would end sooner. Not that the HTC 7 Trophy I own is a bad phone or anything, but it wasn't such a great phone to start off with in the first place, and I would much rather get rid of it now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the 24 month contracts are far too long :(
Nearly at the end of my current contract though, which is good, but I do wish it would end sooner. Not that the HTC 7 Trophy I own is a bad phone or anything, but it wasn't such a great phone to start off with in the first place, and I would much rather get rid of it now.

If you guys think a 2 year contract is long, how do you think Canadians feel having to deal with a 3 year commitment?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the Lumia 920 is safe for a while yet. Nokia don't have the production capacity for another flagship. They can't make enough 920's as it is so it makes no sense to announce a replacement. The Lumia 620 is on it's way and will probably outsell the 920 further bottlenecking production. If you like the 920 then buy it now.

Chances are the 620 won't be made in value factories like 920, but in volume factories. The difference between the two factory types is in the names.. one type of factory is about making smaller quantity of value, flagship phones, while the other factories (majority of factories) are volume factories and focus on creating larger quantities of lower end phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo