04-27-2013 09:40 PM
75 123
tools
    I am totally disappointed in Nokia MWC announcements. No mention of the EOS, no mention of a high end Lumia phone for Verizon. Now I am hearing that the EOS will be exclusive to AT&T, while Verizon will get a variant of the 920 in the next few months. I love Nokia's flagship phone, but just can't stand AT&T because of their coverage. I have been putting off getting a new phone for 8 months waiting for the best of the best. I am not sure how much longer I will hold out since my current phone has charging issues.

Another thing that makes no sense is this exclusive carrier stuff. I look at the iPhone, GS3 and the Note 2. All on pretty much all major carriers and all selling very well. Samsung and Apple are making big $$$ while Nokia is making their flagship phone exclusive on one major carrier and loosing out on sales from people who like the best.
    03-01-2013 09:05 AM
    Looking at the time between the Lumia 822 and HTC 8x going through the FCC and the date that Verizon started selling them, it was around 4-6 weeks.
    Hopefully the Laser will follow the same schedule making it available around the end of March.

Don't look at the fcc to market time for the Trophy. We all know how that went and it'll just depress you more.
    03-01-2013 11:03 AM
    Another thing that makes no sense is this exclusive carrier stuff. I look at the iPhone, GS3 and the Note 2. All on pretty much all major carriers and all selling very well. Samsung and Apple are making big $$$ while Nokia is making their flagship phone exclusive on one major carrier and loosing out on sales from people who like the best.
    Though we are once again talking about just North America. In UK Lumia 920 was exclusive only for a month and everywhere else it was not exclusive to any carrier.
    03-02-2013 11:09 AM
    Nokia is unlikely to be losing sales when they are selling everything they can get out.
    03-03-2013 04:23 AM
    Nokia is unlikely to be losing sales when they are selling everything they can get out.
    I disagree. Personally, I only buy the best phone on the best carrier. Granted, I love the look and feel of the 920, but can not stand AT&T due to their coverage in small towns. I am on Verizon because it is much better with coverage. The WP8 OS is very nice, but the 822 feels to low end so I refuse to get. If the EOS would be sold on Verizon, they would have a sale, but Nokia decided to go exclusive just like the 920. A lost sale for Nokia.
    03-04-2013 12:50 PM
    I disagree. Personally, I only buy the best phone on the best carrier. Granted, I love the look and feel of the 920, but can not stand AT&T due to their coverage in small towns. I am on Verizon because it is much better with coverage. The WP8 OS is very nice, but the 822 feels to low end so I refuse to get. If the EOS would be sold on Verizon, they would have a sale, but Nokia decided to go exclusive just like the 920. A lost sale for Nokia.
    If Nokia makes 10 Lumia 920s, it makes no difference whether there are 10 potential buyers or 100. They can't be losing sales, when they don't have anything to sell. No one here knows yet what will happen to EOS, or how many units Nokia manages to manufacture.
    a5cent likes this.
    03-04-2013 12:56 PM
    If Nokia makes 10 Lumia 920s, it makes no difference whether there are 10 potential buyers or 100. They can't be losing sales, when they don't have anything to sell. No one here knows yet what will happen to EOS, or how many units Nokia manages to manufacture.
    They can be losing sales. By only releasing the 920 on AT&T, and not selling it on all major carriers, they do lose sales. If they would have released it on Verizon, I would have already purchased it. However, they chose to do an exclusive with AT&T, so they are losing potential sales. Not everyone will switch carriers for a cell phone. That is part of the reason why Apple and Samsung has been selling their flagship phones on Verizon and AT&T.

How can you say that they are not losing sales, when I know of at least 3 people, on Verizon, would have purchased the 920 if it was released on Verizon when it was 1st announced by Nokia?
    03-04-2013 02:17 PM
    You and I both would have purchased it, but because Nokia is selling out of 920's, there would be two people on AT&T that would not be able to buy it. The total sales would be identical. It's axiomatic to 'selling out' :)
    03-04-2013 02:25 PM
    41MP or not. My next Windows Phone will be 4.7" - 5.0" and have a 1080p resolution. If this so called EOS (rumor 4.3) doesn't have it, then my Lumia 920 will get more quality time and my other lines up for upgrade will have to wait a bit longer. Don't want to downgrade screen size again like I did from the Titan.

I have 1080p on my Droid DNA - it's doesn't make anything any better. It's just a number at this point.
    a5cent likes this.
    03-04-2013 02:35 PM
    Still waiting. With crap in my eyes from MWC! Aaaaah!
    I think you will be waiting for a long time before EOS. Probably around Nokia World in September when we might see next big WP update and other manufacturers releasing their flagships. My guess is that Catwalk will launch much before.
    03-05-2013 05:51 PM
    I think you will be waiting for a long time before EOS. Probably around Nokia World in September when we might see next big WP update and other manufacturers releasing their flagships. My guess is that Catwalk will launch much before.
    My guess is your correct. Rumor has it, Nokia wants the next version of WP to launch on their next big flagship phone and per recent info, that is towards the end of the year.
    03-05-2013 08:26 PM
    There will be no EOS, at least not one that should also be a phone.

Why Nokia 808 had to use Symbian...
    03-11-2013 05:03 PM

1. Turn off data roaming, WP phones sitting idle consume very little power.
    2. speculations on size on a device that is not revealed, also author pushing his preferences on others
    3. speculations on weight on a device that is not revealed
    4. wasn't the author supposed to be hiking / taking photographs, what is he doing playing heavy games. It is not going to easily overheat otherwise, barring design flaws or faulty units. Every phone is built "super tight". CF not required, and even with all the production problems, introducing graphene chains to the plastic cover would be better.
    5. umm, four digits, why, it's CF, not plutonium?
    03-12-2013 01:36 AM
    1. Idle? Someone would err use that phone..
    2. Speculations based on facts and some simple logic.
    3. Look above.
    4. It's not just games but also other mundane stuff, like watching videos over wireless etc. There are numerous posts all over the Internet.
    5. It's not material but expensive manufacturing process R&D etc. Used 8800s are selling better today than most expensive new Nokia phones(I know it's limited series but still).

Nokia 8800 Carbon Arte | eBay
    03-12-2013 02:44 AM
    1. Life is choice, you can either use the phone as camera or as multimedia player, not both at the same time. Same is true of the 808.
    2. Baseless speculation.
    3. See above.
    4. The article is hinting that this happens with pretty much every smartphone, so why is it such a big deal?
    5. No, it's not that expensive.

Not saying the complaints, about overheating for example, aren't valid, they just aren't valid reasons against PureView WP.
    03-12-2013 10:14 AM

That's just so much BS. The kernel and hardware limitations on WP are right for now, but rest of that is just so much BS that it hurts my head. Nokia is also heading back to making specialized devices next to flagship. Like N82 or N91 were at their time.
    Talk about future Nokia’s and more specialized devices | nokiagadgets.com

1. These multicore SoC's keep going down in size and use less and less battery. Worst time of battery life is not now with the multicore CPU's, it was back in GS, iPhone 4, N900 etc time with their single core CPU's build on 45nm tech, with Lumia 920 example using 28nm build and we are only going smaller in scale. Screen is anyways part of the device that uses BY FAR most of the battery. So not really sure what this even has to do with 41MP PureView.

2. Above.

3. What does this have to do with 41MP pureview?

4. Yes as we go down in SoC sizes the temperature goes up, but you can with clever design get over it. Again... what does this have to do with PureView? There are phones with much more powerful SoC's than Lumia 920 used in phones already.

5. PureView is likely way cheaper now to manufacture than it was on 808 PureView. Nokia has INVESTED on PureView for 5 years, it would be wasting that investment now if it didn't use it. With 808 PureView Nokia needed separate GPU inside the camera sensor, simply because no SoC in the world was able to support 41MP sensor back then. Nokia had to design new SoC and separate GPU with its partner just for the device.
    Now Nokia can just put Qualcomm 600 or 800 SoC inside the phone that supports up to 50MP cameras and Super HD videos without designing anything new or adding separate GPU as a buffer. Same SoC is already found from HTC One and likely many other new devices.

I'm a Nokia and Symbian fan that owns 808 PV, N9, Lumia 800 and Lumia 920, but the BS is a bit too strong with this one.
    03-12-2013 12:35 PM
    1. Life is choice, you can either use the phone as camera or as multimedia player, not both at the same time. Same is true of the 808.
    2. Baseless speculation.
    3. See above.
    4. The article is hinting that this happens with pretty much every smartphone, so why is it such a big deal?
    5. No, it's not that expensive.

Not saying the complaints, about overheating for example, aren't valid, they just aren't valid reasons against PureView WP.
    1. Umm yeah it is, and people who choose phone for its camera want its battery to last a full day. For reasons mentioned in the article.
    2. Baseless, how?! WP will need everything increased to work as intended, is it true or not?!
    3. You too.
    4. The article is not blaming WP here but all other multicore phones that do overheat.
    5. OK why is there no mainstream phones with CF then? I know it's not the best for signal but it doesn't have to be fully made from CF.

That's just so much BS. The kernel and hardware limitations on WP are right for now, but rest of that is just so much BS that it hurts my head. Nokia is also heading back to making specialized devices next to flagship. Like N82 or N91 were at their time.
    Talk about future Nokia’s and more specialized devices | nokiagadgets.com

1. These multicore SoC's keep going down in size and use less and less battery. Worst time of battery life is not now with the multicore CPU's, it was back in GS, iPhone 4, N900 etc time with their single core CPU's build on 45nm tech, with Lumia 920 example using 28nm build and we are only going smaller in scale. Screen is anyways part of the device that uses BY FAR most of the battery. So not really sure what this even has to do with 41MP PureView.

2. Above.

3. What does this have to do with 41MP pureview?

4. Yes as we go down in SoC sizes the temperature goes up, but you can with clever design get over it. Again... what does this have to do with PureView? There are phones with much more powerful SoC's than Lumia 920 used in phones already.

5. PureView is likely way cheaper now to manufacture than it was on 808 PureView. Nokia has INVESTED on PureView for 5 years, it would be wasting that investment now if it didn't use it. With 808 PureView Nokia needed separate GPU inside the camera sensor, simply because no SoC in the world was able to support 41MP sensor back then. Nokia had to design new SoC and separate GPU with its partner just for the device.
    Now Nokia can just put Qualcomm 600 or 800 SoC inside the phone that supports up to 50MP cameras and Super HD videos without designing anything new or adding separate GPU as a buffer. Same SoC is already found from HTC One and likely many other new devices.

I'm a Nokia and Symbian fan that owns 808 PV, N9, Lumia 800 and Lumia 920, but the BS is a bit too strong with this one.
    "Nokia is also heading back to making specialized devices next to flagship. Like N82 or N91 were at their time." have you read the full article? It actually mentions specialized devices like WP camera..but without phone.

1. Hmm lumia 920 has ~40% bigger battery than 808 and 20% bigger screen, yet worse autonomy. How do you explain that?
    2. Above what? The article does mention that such device will show up when technology allows it, but it will not be in these next few years.
    3. It does have to do with the phone, people (not just reviewers) are complaining on 185g of lumia, let alone 200+g. Camera with 250g is not the problem, phone is.
    4. Yes there are, so?! Heat is the problem and its especially the problem for something you want to take pictures with. It will get hot in the summer if its going to be made of aluminium.
    5. Umm can they? I can't see any Android maker having something similar with PV in their plans, if it was so viable they would do it having access to those Qualcomms. I know Nokia has contract with CZ but CZ is not the only maker of big sensors.
    03-12-2013 05:08 PM
    1.1. There is no reason you couldn't use it as a camera / phone all day, you just can't game all day while taking pictures.
    1.4. Overheating is a common problem, but does not relate to a discussion on the viability of 41Mp WP.
    1.5. Because it is more expensive ( just not all that much ), but offers very little benefit for it

2.1. More like 30%, 920 also has over 2x the pixels and refresh-rate( so those great pictures you take can actually be seen), and 808 uses AMOLED ( I'd also like to see battery life comparisons ).
    2.4. Only way for photographing to heat up the phone is massive capacitors needed for Xenon, that will eat your battery as well.
    2.5. Yes, yes they can. Why other don't do it is propably because of patents or skill ( HTC One ).
    Last edited by Bloobed; 03-13-2013 at 02:04 AM.
    03-13-2013 01:46 AM
    1.1 There actually is...because when you use it as a camera your 2x pixels and refresh rate with big screen is going to eat a lot more battery. You would also browse the pics through the gallery etc. and CPU&GPU will have to work more thus consume more power.
    1.4 I have already said it's got nothing to do with WP itself but every high spec phone of today, especially one made of metal(aluminium).
    1.5 CF phone would look very cool and CF has its own strengths(and some cons too but still). It is significantly more expensive to properly make it, else we would have mainstream CF phones in production today.

2.1 For cameraphone daylight visibility is a lot more important than resolution, resolution is of no use if you can't see anything on the screen. While Lumia 920 excels in that area comparing with mainstream phones it's still not up to the par with 808. Oh and who said pictures can't be seen on 808? No 808 owner has complained to that yet, and you always have pinch-to-zoom. Regarding battery if half of these battery drain threads on this forum are genuine I'd say it would be an issue.
    2.4 You wouldn't only do photos with it, you can do something else with your phone (like watching videos etc.) and then get nice opportunity for taking the photo, hot metal isn't going to help your fingers.
    2.5 HTC One with its mediocre "Ultrapixel" camera(which is just a marketing word) has nothing to do with oversampling technology. I don't think that you could get patent for oversampling as it's too general, for specific algorithms maybe yes.
    03-13-2013 02:38 AM
    I know Ultrapixels has nothing to do with oversampling. I was just implying that it might not be as easy to do as one might think, camera-stuff rarely is, as One proves by being mediocre, and that is why not that many bother, after all the form factor would likely make it a non-mainstream device.
    03-13-2013 05:13 AM
    HTC One curved back is getting all the praise for its design and it is 9.3 mm thick..another 4-5 mm and 808 sensor would get in without any hump. 808 has thickness of 14 mm.

The form factor was never a problem, people would understand the necessity of thickness when they start taking pictures and look at the results. Among all those thousands of Android makers and models there must be a market for a single one with good camera. Especially considering that all over the Internet every second debate is about the camera quality.
    03-13-2013 05:29 AM
    I smell a threadlock coming.
    hopmedic likes this.
    03-13-2013 11:00 AM
    All this talk about the EOS got me thinking about the 808. They are $400 or less on amazon and they are unlocked and work on AT&T and Tmobile. That is cheaper than an 810
    03-14-2013 11:41 PM
    160-180g

lol, with those specs its more like 260-280g ;)
    04-08-2013 06:07 PM
    Well at least part of the specs seem now more plausible with The Verge info about new qualcomm SoC (that is 99% sure to be Qualcomm 600 or 800) and the 1080 support for WP8. Most important with Qualcomm 600 and 800 is that after Nokia's own solution of fitting two GPU's on 808 PureView, Qualcomm 600 is the first standalone SoC to support 55MP camera sensor.

Not sure about 3000 mAH, but everything else seems more than plausible for device being released for holidays this year.
    160-180g

lol, with those specs its more like 260-280g ;)
    Depends, if they wanna keep producing phones with carved out piece of poly, curved glass and keep the wireless charging build it, then possibly. Though i got a feeling that with Catwalk Nokia is moving to aluminium bodies, again.
    Nokia tends to stick to one design language across its high end and then keep it same for couple of waves.
    04-09-2013 10:56 AM
75 123