Nokia EOS. 41MP PureView Lumia phone in MWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems like the next logical step. They better, I mean HTC's One has it's "ultrapixel" sensor + OIS now.

But this is the essential problem with Windows Phone, Microsoft being so damn slow.

I mean Nokia made the focking amazing 41MP oversampling sensor over a year ago for 808 PV Symbian, but it needed to fit a lot of specialized software that fit the algorithms to handle the complex task of oversampling the 41MP sensor and forming 38MP, 8MP, 5MP or 3MP photos. It also needed Nokia to fit another GPU that's in the sensor module working as a first puffer to take some tasks away from the main GPU.

Can Nokia do that in Windows Phone? It can't in the current slow pace of supported SoC's, screen resolutions stuck to the max on Lumia 920 and in general poor hardware flexibility. Windows Phone needs faster movement in hardware and it isn't coming before Microsoft provides the support and flexibility. Thing is it seems like Microsoft wont have any kind of event in MWC concerning Windows Phone so we are not getting those updates. You wont just suddenly see new SoC and screen resolution in Windows Phone device, Microsoft first needs to announce it supports it, like it has done with all of the other versions.

That to me means definite no for any kind of true PureView phone or major jump in hardware in MWC.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't give a good darn about the 41mp EOS at this point. All I want is a variant of the 920 on Verizon. Sooner rather than later as I have been contract free for over two months now and if don't see any mention of it at MWC, I'm going back to ATT where at least WP is promoted more.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Will the EOS come with a combination of the 41MP pureview from the 808 and the OIS pureview from the 920? Or will it just be an WP8 version of the 808? I hope it comes with both, that would make me dump my 920 for it! What do you guys think?

It'll almost certainly be an updated version of the 808 sensor. Hypothetically, of course! If I don't break my iPhone any more than it already is, and the rumored May release holds up, this will be my next phone. I have a great dslr and we have a decent point n shoot, but like they say "I always have my phone". I've taken some decent stuff with my iPhone and run it through snapseed. That app on this new cam/phone would be an awesome combo!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It'll almost certainly be an updated version of the 808 sensor. Hypothetically, of course! If I don't break my iPhone any more than it already is, and the rumored May release holds up, this will be my next phone. I have a great dslr and we have a decent point n shoot, but like they say "I always have my phone". I've taken some decent stuff with my iPhone and run it through snapseed. That app on this new cam/phone would be an awesome combo!
That might be my next device too. It sure looks like it will be impressive.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I am totally disappointed in Nokia MWC announcements. No mention of the EOS, no mention of a high end Lumia phone for Verizon. Now I am hearing that the EOS will be exclusive to AT&T, while Verizon will get a variant of the 920 in the next few months. I love Nokia's flagship phone, but just can't stand AT&T because of their coverage. I have been putting off getting a new phone for 8 months waiting for the best of the best. I am not sure how much longer I will hold out since my current phone has charging issues.

Another thing that makes no sense is this exclusive carrier stuff. I look at the iPhone, GS3 and the Note 2. All on pretty much all major carriers and all selling very well. Samsung and Apple are making big $$$ while Nokia is making their flagship phone exclusive on one major carrier and loosing out on sales from people who like the best.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the time between the Lumia 822 and HTC 8x going through the FCC and the date that Verizon started selling them, it was around 4-6 weeks.
Hopefully the Laser will follow the same schedule making it available around the end of March.

Don't look at the fcc to market time for the Trophy. We all know how that went and it'll just depress you more. :grincry:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that makes no sense is this exclusive carrier stuff. I look at the iPhone, GS3 and the Note 2. All on pretty much all major carriers and all selling very well. Samsung and Apple are making big $$$ while Nokia is making their flagship phone exclusive on one major carrier and loosing out on sales from people who like the best.

Though we are once again talking about just North America. In UK Lumia 920 was exclusive only for a month and everywhere else it was not exclusive to any carrier.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is unlikely to be losing sales when they are selling everything they can get out.

I disagree. Personally, I only buy the best phone on the best carrier. Granted, I love the look and feel of the 920, but can not stand AT&T due to their coverage in small towns. I am on Verizon because it is much better with coverage. The WP8 OS is very nice, but the 822 feels to low end so I refuse to get. If the EOS would be sold on Verizon, they would have a sale, but Nokia decided to go exclusive just like the 920. A lost sale for Nokia.

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. Personally, I only buy the best phone on the best carrier. Granted, I love the look and feel of the 920, but can not stand AT&T due to their coverage in small towns. I am on Verizon because it is much better with coverage. The WP8 OS is very nice, but the 822 feels to low end so I refuse to get. If the EOS would be sold on Verizon, they would have a sale, but Nokia decided to go exclusive just like the 920. A lost sale for Nokia.

If Nokia makes 10 Lumia 920s, it makes no difference whether there are 10 potential buyers or 100. They can't be losing sales, when they don't have anything to sell. No one here knows yet what will happen to EOS, or how many units Nokia manages to manufacture.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia makes 10 Lumia 920s, it makes no difference whether there are 10 potential buyers or 100. They can't be losing sales, when they don't have anything to sell. No one here knows yet what will happen to EOS, or how many units Nokia manages to manufacture.

They can be losing sales. By only releasing the 920 on AT&T, and not selling it on all major carriers, they do lose sales. If they would have released it on Verizon, I would have already purchased it. However, they chose to do an exclusive with AT&T, so they are losing potential sales. Not everyone will switch carriers for a cell phone. That is part of the reason why Apple and Samsung has been selling their flagship phones on Verizon and AT&T.

How can you say that they are not losing sales, when I know of at least 3 people, on Verizon, would have purchased the 920 if it was released on Verizon when it was 1st announced by Nokia?

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
You and I both would have purchased it, but because Nokia is selling out of 920's, there would be two people on AT&T that would not be able to buy it. The total sales would be identical. It's axiomatic to 'selling out' :)

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
41MP or not. My next Windows Phone will be 4.7" - 5.0" and have a 1080p resolution. If this so called EOS (rumor 4.3) doesn't have it, then my Lumia 920 will get more quality time and my other lines up for upgrade will have to wait a bit longer. Don't want to downgrade screen size again like I did from the Titan.

I have 1080p on my Droid DNA - it's doesn't make anything any better. It's just a number at this point.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting. With crap in my eyes from MWC! Aaaaah!

I think you will be waiting for a long time before EOS. Probably around Nokia World in September when we might see next big WP update and other manufacturers releasing their flagships. My guess is that Catwalk will launch much before.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you will be waiting for a long time before EOS. Probably around Nokia World in September when we might see next big WP update and other manufacturers releasing their flagships. My guess is that Catwalk will launch much before.

My guess is your correct. Rumor has it, Nokia wants the next version of WP to launch on their next big flagship phone and per recent info, that is towards the end of the year.

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
There will be no EOS, at least not one that should also be a phone.

Why Nokia 808 had to use Symbian...

1. Turn off data roaming, WP phones sitting idle consume very little power.
2. speculations on size on a device that is not revealed, also author pushing his preferences on others
3. speculations on weight on a device that is not revealed
4. wasn't the author supposed to be hiking / taking photographs, what is he doing playing heavy games. It is not going to easily overheat otherwise, barring design flaws or faulty units. Every phone is built "super tight". CF not required, and even with all the production problems, introducing graphene chains to the plastic cover would be better.
5. umm, four digits, why, it's CF, not plutonium?

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
1. Idle? Someone would err use that phone..
2. Speculations based on facts and some simple logic.
3. Look above.
4. It's not just games but also other mundane stuff, like watching videos over wireless etc. There are numerous posts all over the Internet.
5. It's not material but expensive manufacturing process R&D etc. Used 8800s are selling better today than most expensive new Nokia phones(I know it's limited series but still).

Nokia 8800 Carbon Arte | eBay

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
1. Life is choice, you can either use the phone as camera or as multimedia player, not both at the same time. Same is true of the 808.
2. Baseless speculation.
3. See above.
4. The article is hinting that this happens with pretty much every smartphone, so why is it such a big deal?
5. No, it's not that expensive.

Not saying the complaints, about overheating for example, aren't valid, they just aren't valid reasons against PureView WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99