HTC Reveals new Windows 8 Phone "Tiara"

bor42

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I heard from some people that Ativ Odysee is low end, even though it has the same specs as 8X/820/920, save for smaller screen. Apparently you could make an eight core, 4GB RAM device with perfect camera and it would be called low end if it wouldn't be sporting a 4.5"+ display. Madness.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Because I think this is an indication on where Microsoft and Nokia are heading to. They seem to have given up trying to get into first place and are concentrating on the mid to low end market. Windows phone needs a flagship phone that beats everything else for the next 6 months, not more mid to low end phones.

You mean like the 920, the 928, and the Catwalk?

I would argue that the 920 has been king of the smartphones for about four months now. Staying on top for six months is difficult, but the 928 will add more improvement.

Yet the 822 appears to have outsold the 920 - and all the 8xx models have done the same. Most people don't want to spend the $$$, even subsidized, on a high end phone. In a niche market, high end stuff is important. Smartphones are now mass market. That means you need to provide options.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I heard from some people that Ativ Odysee is low end, even though it has the same specs as 8X/820/920, save for smaller screen. Apparently you could make an eight core, 4GB RAM device with perfect camera and it would be called low end if it wouldn't be sporting a 4.5"+ display. Madness.

cheaper build quality and screen resolution. I still wouldn't call it low end, but its cheaper soooo yeh. But i'll tell you what, the Ativ Odyssey screen looks like complete garbage when compared to the 822! I liked the way it felt in the hand, but omg the screen was killing me! looked worse than my Trophy!

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Not to rain on your post, but they DONT have the same specs. 820 has a 8MP Carl Zeiss camera (Versus Odyssey's 5MP), 4.3" screen (what was that about anything below 4.5"?) Clear Black Amoled (Versus 4" Super Amoled), Not to mention software support (Because hardware isn't everything.), and the cost? ARV $400 Nokia Lumia 820, $450 Ativ Odyssey.

Frankly its the fact that the 8x is just a little more than this, and the Lumia 820 (or 822 for Verizons case) is actually cheaper (Both on contract and off) that makes the Ativ Odyssey low-end. That and the lack of apps and support. If they had put more into it it could of shot for mid-range, but its easily outdone. Nothing is really wrong with it, but its not worth it.

bor42

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Still I think Odysee is a solid mid range (don't get me wrong, I hate pentile displays), because if you name odysee low end, what is 620 or 8S that can't even run all the apps?
I just wanted to say that apparently journalist have a logic that if a device has 4" screen or lower its low end.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Still I think Odysee is a solid mid range (don't get me wrong, I hate pentile displays), because if you name odysee low end, what is 620 or 8S that can't even run all the apps?
I just wanted to say that apparently journalist have a logic that if a device has 4" screen or lower its low end.

Most journalists will also say the 920 isn't a high end device cause it isn't quad core.

bor42

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, it's hard to draw the lines between low/mid/high end, especially when it comes to personal preference so it's kinda stupid to say "there are no high end devices" or "there are too many high end devices", we should just be happy to have as much options available as possible, no matter what we think of each device by our subjective standards. I for one am still waiting for a WP8 device that I could be happy with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven