Lumia 720, excellent phone, but 512 MB RAM, is it enough?

hirawan77

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys,
I am so please read the news this morning that this gorgeous phone will be sold in Australia tomorrow (Nokia Lumia 720 goes on sale in Australia on April 4th). I really can't wait go to the shop and have a look this phone.
I am really really interested with this phone, Lumia 920 is kinda bit too thick and heavy and I don't use lots of games or heavy games on my phone. However my only concern is the RAM, it only has 512 MB RAM and recently I heard even basic apps like Tunein radio (that I used alot) needs at least 1GB Ram.

I just need a phone that fluid, smooth, runs all (most) popular apps (that is not game).
I am in a dilemma should I get this phone or wait another one.
Any thoughts?

Cheers,

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
if you can afford a phone with 1 gb ram, i'd go for that. i would never buy a phone with the possiblity of it not running certain apps game or not because of the 1 gb requirement, its just stupid for that type of requirement on phones. No compromise and fragmentation? This is a clear example of compromise and fragmentation.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 620 and i can tell you so far i haven't encountered one single app that didn't work so far! So don't worry about 512Mb if you can't afford 1Gb...since you said you're not into heavy 3D games, should work just fine!

hirawan77

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 620 and i can tell you so far i haven't encountered one single app that didn't work so far! So don't worry about 512Mb if you can't afford 1Gb...since you said you're not into heavy 3D games, should work just fine!
I just need a basic phone that smooth and fluid for most typical users. What about Tunein? I am currently using old android and I use this app alot and love it. I read that Tunein in WP requires min 1 GB ram, which is not the case in Android. Do you use Tunein apps?Is there any lag in L620 when access data from Micro SD card?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I just need a basic phone that smooth and fluid for most typical users. What about Tunein? I am currently using old android and I use this app alot and love it. I read that Tunein in WP requires min 1 GB ram, which is not the case in Android. Do you use Tunein apps?Is there any lag in L620 when access data from Micro SD card?

I currently have a 620 n no drama with 512MB RAM!! There r 2 versions of that app, with 1 only requiring 512

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Do not worry about tunein Nokia has a version available for 512MB phones, as well once,you get Nokia Music you will just forget about tunein.. There is NO LAG in my 620.. It is just an amazing little phone.. Hope you enjoy the 720!! Cheers..

P.S ask other questions if necessary

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

i do not use TuneIn...and the fact it requires 1Gb is the devs fault, so you should contact them...and if you can't live w/o one app that prolly will have a 512Mb version in the future, then WP is not for you lol
and so far all good with microSD card!

hirawan77

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Do not worry about tunein Nokia has a version available for 512MB phones, as well once,you get Nokia Music you will just forget about tunein.. There is NO LAG in my 620.. It is just an amazing little phone.. Hope you enjoy the 720!! Cheers..

P.S ask other questions if necessary

Thanks mate, does Nokia Music similar like Tunein where you can tune in to radio from many countries around the world or just music?

hirawan77

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
If you can pay a little more, I suggest the 820. But the 720, in my opinion, looks so much better than the 820.

I can go ahead with 820 and I have seen it in the shop. I just don't like the shape and I feel the speed is lower than 920 despite the same processor and ram. Indeed 720 is just like 920 shape with lower spec and mico sd card support. As long as smooth, fluid, able to run most typical apps and basic function Im good with that. Don't really play such heavy 3D games anyway.

Amrut Mhatre

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Go ahead and get 720.
I dont think their will be much app constrains other than heavy games.
I personally loved the 720, but getting a 920 instead as i'm a photo freak :p

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you should worry about the Ram.. Get the phone that you like to look at. You will be looking at your phone for the next n years. You don't want to get a phone which you don't like the best and keep looking at it for n years.

I am planning to get 720, 620 and 520 for my family members. don't like expensive phones.

Also, the battery is much bigger and the camera is better than 820. So just get the 720

williog

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Lets not forget that Lumia 820 comes with a super amoled screen, 1g of ram and also a good 8mp camera. It's also much cheaper now. So my verdict between Lumia 720 and 820 is that I would go for 820.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Considering most Android phones even the budget ones come with 1GB and the 720 which is clearly not a low-end bargain bin phone only has 512MB is a failure on Microsoft's part by allowing these RAM configurations to fragment the ecosystem for the sake of reaching a lower price point.

You're comparing two very different systems with very different RAM requirements. What applies to Android often does not apply to Windows Phone and this is exactly one of those cases.

The whole point of WP is its consistency and smoothness but if it doesn't have enough RAM it jeopardizes the whole metro experience which is built around said smoothness and transitions.

...What makes you think the UX has been compromised because of the amount of RAM? It isn't. Lumia 720 was originally tested with both 512MB and 1GB of RAM, but no one in the test group could not tell a difference between the two variants. Product manager of Lumia 720 himself confirmed this in an interview.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Huuuh my Lumia 620 has 512Mb and i have a completely smooth experience, never had app crashes or system lags so your point is? lol
This kind of experience is impossibru in a 512Mb Android and we all know it :3

operauser

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
There's only 1 answer : 512 MB is not enough at nowadays.But if u have lots on money to spent just go ahead and try it.Maybe after couple of months u can buy a new 1 with more RAM.:winktongue:

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
There's only 1 answer : 512 MB is not enough at nowadays.But if u have lots on money to spent just go ahead and try it.Maybe after couple of months u can buy a new 1 with more RAM.:winktongue:

different OS, different needs...512Mb will suffice for a cheap WP phone! i can tell because i'm using a 512Mb 620 and it never failed me!
512Mb may not be enough for Android anymore but WP is a different story!

Amrut Mhatre

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
different OS, different needs...512Mb will suffice for a cheap WP phone! i can tell because i'm using a 512Mb 620 and it never failed me!
512Mb may not be enough for Android anymore but WP is a different story!

Your Absolutely right my friend.
Wp is not Ram Hungry like the droids.

Low Ram WP8s are Best for day to day use other than gaming , you wont notice any difference ( may get 1gb games on 512 also later)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss