06-13-2013 03:05 PM
145 ... 3456
tools
    06-05-2013 09:19 AM
    Looking good... that profile.. has to be the HES9 sensor.

Most people said that the hump makes the device "niche" ... we will see how this goes.
    06-05-2013 09:38 AM
    I think it looks good and would look better on a black phone.

But the "it's so ugly" wave of comments have already started...
    06-05-2013 11:20 AM
    No mechanical ND filter on this prototype.. its worth 3 stops..

Other than that.. this is a proper module :)

06-05-2013 12:17 PM
    When you look at that housing on a black phone it does kind of resemble a proper camera
    06-05-2013 02:17 PM
    @vlad0
    I would have expected the lens and the hump to be concentric. That doesn't seem to be how this works. I suspect the sensor is entirely contained within the area marked by the darker ring around the lens. But then, what exactly does that hump contain? Any idea?
    06-05-2013 02:43 PM
    I love it !!!
    But, why such a huge bump if lens are not that big? :S
    06-05-2013 02:45 PM

@vlad0
    I would have expected the lens and the hump to be concentric. That doesn't seem to be how this works. I suspect the sensor is entirely contained within the area marked by the darker ring around the lens. But then, what exactly does that hump contain? Any idea?
    Hm.. I was asking myself the same thing. On the 808 the module looks like this:

And I don't think that there is anything around it on the board

this from the top

this from the bottom

my best guess is... the capacitors for the xenon, which reside around the module on the 808. Its also important to not that the loud speaker is no longer inside the camera hump, which is the case on the 808.

a5cent likes this.
    06-05-2013 03:07 PM
    That be it!
    tissotti, benrp and theefman like this.
    06-05-2013 04:13 PM
    06-05-2013 04:22 PM
    Hm.. I was asking myself the same thing. On the 808 the module looks like this:
    Yeah, but the 808 wasn't designed to be thin... the capacitors and the speaker could easily have fit in a device of 10 mm thickness or less, and without the hump. The only thing that requires the hump is the camera module. A lot of air pockets exist in that design.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what is actually in there. I hope it's not just wasted space as it is on the 808.
    06-05-2013 04:33 PM
    Yeah, but the 808 wasn't designed to be thin... the capacitors and the speaker could easily have fit in a device of 10 mm thickness or less, and without the hump. The only thing that requires the hump is the camera module. A lot of air pockets exist in that design.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what is actually in there. I hope it's not just wasted space as it is on the 808.
    I am sure someone will take it apart as soon as they release it, and we will find out.. but the last thing the engineers want to do is waste space, so I am sure there a good reason for it on both devices.

They are taking a different approach with the EOS for sure..

The LED is not part of the Xenon assembly anymore, the xenon looks thinner and longer, and the loud speaker is not there as well.

To me the 808 makes more sense in terms of arrangement..
    06-05-2013 04:58 PM
    I don't know why but I think these pictures are all fake, especially the ones of it in the grass.

My guess is that someone took a 920 housing and modified the back.
    06-05-2013 06:00 PM
    I am sure someone will take it apart as soon as they release it, and we will find out.. but the last thing the engineers want to do is waste space, so I am sure there a good reason for it on both devices.
    Certainly engineers don't want to waste space, but typically product managers define goals based on what they think the market wants to buy. I simply doubt that "designing a thin device" was one of the stated design goals for the 808, whereas I assume market pressures are forcing Nokia to make that a higher priority for the EOS. Obviously, that is all just speculation on my part, but that's the impression the 808 leaves on me.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
    06-05-2013 06:09 PM
    41mp.jpg

I'm a loser but i just noticed the cover on the lens is similar. Is it like this in other devices? I tried to find pics of the N8 and noticed it looks like it closed somewhat differently.

Seems like this is going to be the 41 mp we were all waiting for. I'm betting separate processing for the images and still using the good ole dual core/1gb team for the processing power of the phone.
    06-05-2013 06:44 PM
    There is another angle on that whole 41mpix number game..

I assume that most people that read this thread know that the 808 is not about the number of pixels, but more about how they are used, mainly for lossless zooming and oversampling.

But considering that in the US most people don't know that 41Mpix phones even exist, or... even stand alone cameras for that matter, the 41Mpix number has a HUGE marketing potential! I still remember when Nokia presented the phase 1 system last year... it took the tech blogosphere, and most people (including myself) a couple of days/weeks to figure out exactly what they've done. I mean.. we went from 8/12Mpix market up to 41Mpix overnight. No one knew about it, so it was kind of a shock.

So if Nokia play their cards right this time.. it can be big.

Certainly engineers don't want to waste space, but typically product managers define goals based on what they think the market wants to buy. I simply doubt that "designing a thin device" was one of the stated design goals for the 808, whereas I assume market pressures are forcing Nokia to make that a higher priority for the EOS. Obviously, that is all just speculation on my part, but that's the impression the 808 leaves on me.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
    True.. only people at Nokia know what is truly behind those design decisions, but I really doubt that they would intentionally leave empty space.

The room around the EOS sensor is indeed intriguing..i really can't think of anything that would require so much room around the module. Like I said, the only thing around the module on the 808 are the loud speaker and the two xenon capacitors. Its tightly packed in there..

you can see it here @ 2:13 min

I'm a loser but i just noticed the cover on the lens is similar. Is it like this in other devices? I tried to find pics of the N8 and noticed it looks like it closed somewhat differently.

Seems like this is going to be the 41 mp we were all waiting for. I'm betting separate processing for the images and still using the good ole dual core/1gb team for the processing power of the phone.
    spot on..
    06-05-2013 08:06 PM
    I also am very very curious about why the camera wouldn't be centred... It could be a capacitor to the left of the lens, it could also be a processor but most rumours clock this as a quad core and if they split it 50/50 that leaves quite a lot for the camera...
    This might be a mad idea but I noticed on the verge or tech radar they mentioned the possibility of aperture change... Now could this be nothing or it could be part of that... lens swapping... think 3 disc cd-changer... filtered, large and small...or various zooms.... I know its a mad idea but the area of the hump is bigger than the 808 and as many have said there is "less" in it, as in no speaker, what looks to be smaller (but longer) flash... So whats in there... If you check the yellow leak you can see where the camera goes, what looks like the flash only down the bottom not the top, prolly capacitor for flash or motor to drive cd-changer ;) and a large area opposite the camera (left of) that's the battery... so that still leaves a lot of space above the battery in the black part itself, like the flash as no space "in" the phone is used for it.... and they wouldn't sit the capacitor above the battery.... serious heat problems.... anyway my 2 cents...

I'd also like to add thank you nokia for going back and going L800 on the screen.... there's no rim thing between the glass and the poly.... made the 800 sooooo sleek and ruined the 920 (I own a 920) was such a peev with me.... I just singled it out as THE worst thing about the phone because after the 800 it was like wtf are you doing moving back.... I know it prolly made it harder to build, the 920 being hard anyway but come on.... To me the 800 in white is the best looking phone on earth (had to buy one to replace the one I lost even tho I had a 920)... so clean, and Metro makes it pop with the super blacks and yea.... I'm so happy they went back with this.... even the tapered ends.... this in white..... mmmmmm......
    06-06-2013 12:23 AM
    Hmm, a little disappointed with the new photos. I actually preferred the 808 style with the chrome and glass around the camera piece, and the omission of built in wireless charging is a pain, but hell I don't think I'll be able to stop myself buying this. Unless a second device with a new aluminium build and a screen that takes up more of the front face is leaked as well as a spec bump I think I'll end up with this.
    06-06-2013 01:02 AM
    Also itching to see whats underneath there. My guess would be processor. I wonder if they kept the 5 element lens of the 808 or modified it to 6 like the new L925. The phone is a bit ugly but I agree it'll look best in white. I actually think the 808 is better looking although thicker. Leaked pictures galore certainly made today interesting.
    06-06-2013 01:07 AM
    I hope it has a removable back like the 808 so you can change out batteries. This is very important if you are going to take a lot of photos or videos.
    06-06-2013 01:16 AM
    Doubt it will, looks too true to the Lumia branding. I don't mind though, the 920 is still the best phone out today over 6 months later.
    06-06-2013 01:29 AM
    GSMarena says ND filter is in place, and if that is true, we can rule out any sort of variable aperture.

"The Nokia EOS is said to feature a 41 MP (38 MP effective) 1/1.2" sensor with Carl Zeiss optics, ND filter, PureView technology and should, if rumores are true, inherit the very exclusive seat of the Nokia 808 PureView, which remains unbeaten at the very top of the cameraphone food chain."

Latest leak confirms Nokia EOS red color version - GSMArena.com news

looks good in red

Also itching to see whats underneath there. My guess would be processor. I wonder if they kept the 5 element lens of the 808 or modified it to 6 like the new L925. The phone is a bit ugly but I agree it'll look best in white. I actually think the 808 is better looking although thicker. Leaked pictures galore certainly made today interesting.
    I am almost certain its the same lens.. it took them years to develop that thing for the HES9 sensor, I doubt that they would go trough that trouble again for the same sensor. If the sensor is different, then they might have to.. but otherwise, same amazing lens :)

The important part is that they have the hardware in place, no matter how many features they cut out, or how bad the jpeg processing might be, the hes9/cz lens is a very strong combo so the results will still be much better than anything else out there. And with time, it would only get better..

I am just guessing.. it might be optimal at launch since they have all the know-how from the previous project.

I hope it has a removable back like the 808 so you can change out batteries. This is very important if you are going to take a lot of photos or videos.
    That is one of the main design drawbacks.

Its a camera centric device.. it will be much better if it had

1. SD card slot
    2. Removable battery

Sometime if you go out shooting you can end up with 200-300 photos and its much easier to take the sd card out and just dump them on your PC. Also, in that same scenario you might need more than one battery pack.. specially if you are geo tagging.
    06-06-2013 09:10 AM
    wow - a lot sure happens in a couple of days :)
    i go away for a week and now we have what appear to be true to life shots of the upcoming July device...
    Am as curious as everyone else here as to why the lens is not centered with the larger hump... Does this Xenon look like the 928 Xenon (and hence provide some code similarities for timing etc.?)
    I was hoping for OIS - perhaps this larger hump gives that ability?

As for @katamari's post on pixel binning and comparing it to Pureview - its not just about resizing/resampling/binning, but started as a project to get back to a zoom function, without the mechanical measures needed for it and the noise that goes with it...anyone who has tried the 808 zoom will be shocked how smooth it is...
    06-06-2013 01:15 PM
    and...why only two holes for the wireless charging?
    I just checked and the 925 has three...
    06-06-2013 01:21 PM
    and...why only two holes for the wireless charging?
    I just checked and the 925 has three...
    I am wondering this too. Did they make the wireless charging more efficient or something?
    06-06-2013 01:27 PM
145 ... 3456