06-13-2013 03:05 PM
145 ... 456
tools
    Mini review:

http://vizileaks.blogspot.co.uk/2013...ni-review.html

I also am very very curious about why the camera wouldn't be centred... It could be a capacitor to the left of the lens, it could also be a processor but most rumours clock this as a quad core and if they split it 50/50 that leaves quite a lot for the camera...
    This might be a mad idea but I noticed on the verge or tech radar they mentioned the possibility of aperture change... Now could this be nothing or it could be part of that... lens swapping... think 3 disc cd-changer... filtered, large and small...or various zooms.... I know its a mad idea but the area of the hump is bigger than the 808 and as many have said there is "less" in it, as in no speaker, what looks to be smaller (but longer) flash... So whats in there... If you check the yellow leak you can see where the camera goes, what looks like the flash only down the bottom not the top, prolly capacitor for flash or motor to drive cd-changer ;) and a large area opposite the camera (left of) that's the battery... so that still leaves a lot of space above the battery in the black part itself, like the flash as no space "in" the phone is used for it.... and they wouldn't sit the capacitor above the battery.... serious heat problems.... anyway my 2 cents...

I'd also like to add thank you nokia for going back and going L800 on the screen.... there's no rim thing between the glass and the poly.... made the 800 sooooo sleek and ruined the 920 (I own a 920) was such a peev with me.... I just singled it out as THE worst thing about the phone because after the 800 it was like wtf are you doing moving back.... I know it prolly made it harder to build, the 920 being hard anyway but come on.... To me the 800 in white is the best looking phone on earth (had to buy one to replace the one I lost even tho I had a 920)... so clean, and Metro makes it pop with the super blacks and yea.... I'm so happy they went back with this.... even the tapered ends.... this in white..... mmmmmm......
    You might be onto something here... now I am hearing "dual" aperture.. or something I don't quite understand.

We will have to wait and see :)
    06-06-2013 03:35 PM
    Can anyone comment if the upcoming Nokia "EOS" will be able to work on T-Mobile's LTE? I am pretty sure that it'll support T-Mobile's DC-HSPA+ 42Mbps network b/c both AT&T and T-Mobile now use the 1700MHz spectrum for their HSPA. But what about LTE? Obviously, I'm talking about getting the AT&T version unlocked.
    06-07-2013 11:29 AM
    I assume Nokia will be releasing a Rogers version with the Tmo bands like they did with the 920 since this will be AT&T exclusive.
    06-07-2013 01:08 PM
    So then the Rogers version would work on T-Mobile's LTE and HSPA+? Sorry, I wasn't privy to the Rogers 920 discussion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    06-07-2013 02:37 PM
    God I hope this device is Quad Core.
    06-07-2013 02:55 PM
    Wouldn't count on it. I do not foresee WP8 supporting anything other than S4 until GDR3 this fall.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    06-07-2013 03:02 PM
    If this phone will be announced in summer, I can pretty much guarantee it wont have quad core. Expect to see Qualcomm 600 flagships end of this year alongside of GDR3.
    06-07-2013 04:16 PM
    Very nice explanation by ex Nokian on why mechanical shutters are necessary for a xenon flash..

Damian Dinning Explains the Mechanical Shutter to MNB : My Nokia Blog

Hi everyone, there are so few factually correct statements in the original piece or related comments (no disrespect intended) I felt compelled to help explain.

Please note, my comments are ONLY addressing the general topic of mechanical shutters – no more.
    Keeping it simple, the main reason for fitting mechanical shutters is for use with xenon flash. Typically CMOS sensors read light across the sensor from left to right and top to bottom. The time each pixel is ‘read’ is the effective shutter speed. This is OK in most cases and OK with LED flash as the light is effectively constant/continuous. LED flash in most cases being the equivalent of turning on a torch before the exposure and turning it off after the exposure has been made, effectively increasing the amount of light in the scene more or less for the duration of the picture.

In the case of xenon, the flash fires a very short ‘pulse’ of light. This pulse can be as short as approximately 1/25,000 (hence why xenon can freeze high speed movement). With a typical CMOS sensor the time difference between the 1st pixel being ‘read’ and the last is greater than this time. The result would be some pixels would be correctly exposed whilst others would be dark or even potentially black. To overcome this, the pixels are effectively read all at the same time. But to achieve this all pixels are turned on, the shutter opens, the flash fires, the shutter closes and the pixels turned off. And that’s why typically mechanical shutters have been needed in products such as n8, n82, n808. In some cases some latest generation sensors can read all their pixels at very high speed (note: again don’t ask me to comment on speculation or rumour) allowing xenon to be used. In some cases e.g. Nikon 1 series these later generation sensors are allowing for electronic shutters which can provide potential advantages in high frame rate scenarios which mechanical shutters would not be suitable for.

In some cases a hybrid approach maybe used e.g. a SE product of a few years back which featured xenon only used the mechanical shutter for flash but not other situations, which meant in that case it didn’t provide the following potential advantage….
    With mechanical shutters, because the pixels are effectively read all at the same time it overcomes the motion skew effect which can typically occur with CMOS sensors due to the time difference between the first and last pixels being read. As the read time from CMOS sensors is increasing (shorter read times) this is becoming less of an issue in some cases.

Mechanical shutters do require additional space, there are no space advantages to them.
    As for dust protection there is some theoretical advantage to them but in practice (at least in my experience) I have seen dust penetration in all cameras, there is a fundamental limit to what can be done to prevent dust penetration.
    Hope that clarifies things
    xconomicron and MAERSK like this.
    06-08-2013 02:08 PM
    Has anyone seen the S4 Zoom? Is that thing real? Lol. I hope no one complains of the look of the EOS now that this is out.
    06-09-2013 12:12 AM
    I love articles written by people that have no idea what they are talking about

Samsung Just Killed Nokia’s ‘True PureView’ Windows Phone And It’s Not Even Unboxed Yet | TechCrunch
    Juanma Herrera likes this.
    06-12-2013 08:59 AM
    S4 zoom this summer. I hope the eos to launch by the same date, and see comparisons. I bet for Nokia. Already we know 808 pureview is far better than galaxy camera. And these new 2 are almost the same...

Enviado desde mi C6603 usando Tapatalk 2
    06-12-2013 09:12 AM
    re the techcrunch article : OH dear - on SO many levels...
    06-12-2013 09:46 AM
    The guy is ridiculous with this article. I stopped reading it after the first paragraph.

Samsung Just Killed Nokia’s ‘True PureView’ Windows Phone And It’s Not Even Unboxed Yet | TechCrunch
    06-12-2013 11:13 AM
    Damn that was a terrible article. Nice to see the author getting killed in the comments
    06-12-2013 11:41 AM

Samsung Just Killed Nokias True PureView Windows Phone And Its Not Even Unboxed Yet | TechCrunch
    One of the things I hate most about the Internet is the allowance of this rubbish quality of journalism.

Why can't we just hate on all manufactures/OS or love them all. The bias with this one is very apparent.
    Last edited by MAERSK; 06-12-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    06-12-2013 12:24 PM
    At least she is kind of cute.. but still, bad journalism is bad journalism ..

S4 zoom this summer. I hope the eos to launch by the same date, and see comparisons. I bet for Nokia. Already we know 808 pureview is far better than galaxy camera. And these new 2 are almost the same...
    Its this camera: 16 Megapixel WiFi Digital Camera in Black | Samsung WB850F

repackaged .. I am guessing they had too many and had to move the components somehow.

In terms if IQ.. the 808 is ahead. Also, the lens is much better.. I looked at couple of samples and the Sammy is showing quite a bit of softness toward the edges, the 808 keeps things sharp from end to end.

Devices like this put the Phase 1 system in perspective... no wonder in won bunch of awards last year.
    Last edited by vlad0; 06-12-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    a5cent likes this.
    06-12-2013 03:51 PM
    "Zoom Reinvented", 11th July, NYC, 11am - curious set of dates and times....see EOS thread here which links to Engadget.
    Is this for the EOS we think? I think so...
    but what about reinvented do they mean?
    the lumia 925 tagline was :"more than your eyes can see"...
    are they just taking liberty with the wording? or do they mean reinvented?
    06-13-2013 11:48 AM
    "Zoom Reinvented", 11th July, NYC, 11am - curious set of dates and times....see EOS thread here which links to Engadget.
    Is this for the EOS we think? I think so...
    but what about reinvented do they mean?
    the lumia 925 tagline was :"more than your eyes can see"...
    are they just taking liberty with the wording? or do they mean reinvented?
    It's called teaser and marketing. Certainly doesn't mean there's anything new compared to 808.
    Not to say there couldn't be.
    06-13-2013 01:18 PM
    May it mean a little optical zoom combined with the "sensor crop" zoom?. For example, I think the 808 in pureview mode is able to 3x zoom (or even more, don't know), and if there were another 3x optical zoom, the final result would be 9x zoom max...

My guess is: Why compact cameras, and Galaxy S4 zoom need such a bigger lens if the sensor size is smaller than 808 pureview/EOS?
    06-13-2013 02:04 PM
    Certainly doesn't mean there's anything new compared to 808.
    it took them more than 17 months to port this over to WP.. there better be something new, or at least a little improvement over the 808.

May it mean a little optical zoom combined with the "sensor crop" zoom?. For example, I think the 808 in pureview mode is able to 3x zoom (or even more, don't know), and if there were another 3x optical zoom, the final result would be 9x zoom max...

My guess is: Why compact cameras, and Galaxy S4 zoom need such a bigger lens if the sensor size is smaller than 808 pureview/EOS?
    The zoom "crop" tech in the 808 is directly related, or rather a function of the mpix count you want to use vs how much you want to zoom.. the larger the picture, the less zoom you have at your disposal.

The most important aspect of this is that.. you have no movable parts, and the aperture stays fixed throughout the zoom range. With the gs4 zoom, the more you zoom, the less light is reaching the sensor, which leads to IQ degradation..

Also, when the Phase 1 system crops, it does so from the middle of the frame, so you get absolutely no softness around the edges of the frame, which you will with a complex lens design such as the one on the gs4 zoom.

The good thing about an optical zoom is that you can achieve "bokeh" (blurred background) when you zoom in on a bigger object, with the 808 crop/zoom... you don't get that.

Example, this is at max zoom (3x) on the 808

With the gs4 zoom you might be able to blur the background. In this case.. its okay that it isn't, but in most cases you would want it to be. Also, note that its sharp from end to end.. :)
    Last edited by vlad0; 06-13-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    a5cent and tissotti like this.
    06-13-2013 03:05 PM
145 ... 456