Nokia "EOS"

FavBrowser

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
^ I think that's why the source from mnb said that there are two EOS devices, one based on current gen (less mpix) and one on next gen (phase 1 system) ... it kind of makes sense, but they might've found a way to use phase 1 with the current gen cpu/gpu..

We will find out soon :)

HTC Titan II had separate chip to process camera so did 808

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

If it was that simple, I'm sure we already had Lumia with real PureView sensor inside.

On 808 PureView the "companion processor" is handling 1 billion pixels per second and 16x oversampling. Qualcomm 600 and Qualcomm 800 were the first off the shelf SoC's that are even capable to handle the 41MP sensor, but even there we are just talking about supporting the sensor, not the heavy duty oversampling 808 PureView got.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ they can't shrink the physical size of the sensor and the optics required for it ... unless we are talking about a brand new technology.

If they use the same assembly, the phone will have a hump.. the only thing they can do is blend it in with the body even more seamlessly. For example, the 808's hump is metal, because that acts as a FM transmitter antenna.. the new one might not need that so they can use the whole back to blend it in.

Also, if they decide on a unibody design.. no need for a back cover, which means custom made battery, less room required for it.. ala iPhone

If it was that simple, I'm sure we already had Lumia with real PureView sensor inside.

On 808 PureView the "companion processor" is handling 1 billion pixels per second and 16x oversampling. Qualcomm 600 and Qualcomm 800 were the first off the shelf SoC's that are even capable to handle the 41MP sensor, but even there we are just talking about supporting the sensor, not the heavy duty oversampling 808 PureView got.
Correct. We will have to wait and see how they handle this.. I am really curious to be honest :)

That was on Windows CE .. and I ma not saying that its impossible, but I am sure that the Phase 1 system is a bit more complicated than whatever HTC had in the titan 2.

Whatever it is, something is stopping them.. we could rule out the hardware because the camera system is in mass production already, and we know that it works. Its either a managerial decision to delay the product, in which case they are crazy, or they are still trying to figure out how to implement it on Windows Phone..

sharprobert

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello.
Rumors about the Nokia ?EOS?, the Windows Phone with a true 41MP PureView camera, had been circulating since January this year. Later on in April, MyNokiaBlog detailed some rumored specifications about the device, although they claim that the details have not been finalised at that time.

Last edited:

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
41mp sensor(s), 33mp-ish pics -- the difference in mp between the 2 is accomodate for zoom and image stabilization.

A certain tablet will also be entering lab for a major carrier very soon...

Yes, I have them. :)

So are you referring to one device or two (phone)?
and tablet? wow...
3 letter carrier? :)
Thanks for info / rumor :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
the difference in mp between the 2 is accomodate for zoom and image stabilization.

What about this ?

gsmarena_001.jpg

Its determent by the aspect ratio ..

34 in 16:9
38 in 4:3

Also, can you tell us if there is oversampling being done ? Those are 3/5/8Mpix images on the 808.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually I think 808PV sensor is NOT a BSI sensor, but FSI.

How PureView on Nokia Lumia 920 differs to Nokia 808 PureView | NokNok.tv

Interesting, always thought it used BSI, but googling around I find claims on both sides. Nokia developer page or 808 PureView technical sheets don't mention either.

Anyways as 808 PureView owners I would be over the moon if they use that exact same sensor. I really wasn't expecting them to do it because of its size, especially if this will be announced this summer like rumored.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, always thought it used BSI, but googling around I find claims on both sides. Nokia developer page or 808 PureView technical sheets don't mention either.

Anyways as 808 PureView owners I would be over the moon if they use that exact same sensor. I really wasn't expecting them to do it because of its size, especially if this will be announced this summer like rumored.

The whole BSI thing, at least thus far, has been more aimed toward marketing than anything else. There are physical limitations on how small you can make the pixels on a FSI sensor. As far as know 1.4 microns is the cut off, otherwise it gets messy.

All the OEMs had to figure out a way how NOT to increase the sensor size, but at the same time bring up the megapixel count, which is what sells the camera to the mass market... you know, years of marketing telling you that more mpix = better IQ.

BSI allows for smaller than 1.4 micron pixels, so.. they found a way to increase mpix count without having to increase the sensor size.

All pro and semi pro DSLRs are equipped with FSI sensor..

Both the N8, and the 808 are FSI based.

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not only marketing. Look at this pics. iPhone 5: Exmor R sensor (BSI first gen), f 2.4, 1/17s, ISO 400. Xperia Z: Exmor RS (stacked sensor, new BSI gen). Same sensor size (1/3"), more pixel density (1.12microns vs 1.4 microns in iPhone), same shoot parameters: f2.4, 1/16, ISO 400. The difference is +0.7eV in Xperia Z, produced only by the new tech sensor. Imagine the difference between a new BSI sensor and FSI, and a 1.4 microns sensor instead of 1.12...

iPhone 5
400117.jpg

Xperia Z
dsc0032ly.jpg

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's no doubt more than just marketing, but phones like N8 still seem to perform better. Let alone 808 PureView that's on its own league.
Though I wonder what's the reason for Nokia not really going forward with BSI? There must be some technical reason especially on 808 PureView 41MP sensor because costs on with that camera module didn't seem to be the problem.

Sony Xperia Z is impressive in a right conditions and no doubt helped by BSI there. Especially the one you showed above. You can see there's clearly software play going on, but it looks more natural than on Lumia 920.

N8 on the left, Xperia Z on the right.

attachment.php

Balcony_XZ.jpg

Balcony_N8.jpg

Balcony_808.jpg

Attachments

• interiorcrop.jpg
    interiorcrop.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Balcony_N8.jpg
    Balcony_N8.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's no doubt more than just marketing, but phones like N8 still seem to perform better. Let alone 808 PureView that's on its own league.
Though I wonder what's the reason for Nokia not really going forward with BSI? There must be some technical reason especially on 808 PureView 41MP sensor because costs on with that camera module didn't seem to be the problem.

Sony Xperia Z is impressive in a right conditions and no doubt helped by BSI there.

N8 on the left, Xperia Z on the right. Especially the one you showed above. You can see there's clearly software play going on, but it looks more natural than on Lumia 920.

View attachment 34751

Those shots were taken before the last Xperia Z update, which makes the camera far better.

Anyways, of course N8 and 808 overperform Xperia Z because of the huge sensors! But what I say is if those phones had a BSI sensor, the pics would be even better than they actually are.

I wanted a Lumia 920, but finally I went for the Sony, but I'm looking forward to Lumia EOS since 808 was launched (I love real pureview technology but I didn't want to go back for symbian...)

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Those shots were taken before the last Xperia Z update, which makes the camera far better.

Anyways, of course N8 and 808 overperform Xperia Z because of the huge sensors! But what I say is if those phones had a BSI sensor, the pics would be even better than they actually are.

I wanted a Lumia 920, but finally I went for the Sony, but I'm looking forward to Lumia EOS since 808 was launched (I love real pureview technology but I didn't want to go back for symbian...)

Ah didn't know about that. About the update that is.

And I can totally see why you would not want 808 PureView. Haven't really ever been too big of a Symbian fan and my 808 PV next to Lumia 920 is more of a camera/music player than a smartphone. Funnily enough 808 PureView at its price is probably one of the best point and shoots out there. if I was looking for Android phone once again, my choice would certainly be Xperia Z or HTC one.
Just wanna see no compromise 808PV module stuck on a Windows Phone. They can add BSI, OIS if they want to, but I just wanna see them not go backwards like they did with Lumia 920 camera. 808 PureView sensor is one of those rare things in the past 3 years of smartphone hardware that any user can see the difference beyond all the branding right away and it gives great amount of real play value with the PureView 3MP, 5MP, 8MP modes, plus the full 38MP mode. With stronger base hardware and more software work we could see even more functions being sourced from that amazing camera module.

any of those cropped?

They are cropped, yes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05