Nokia "EOS"

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Doubt it will, looks too true to the Lumia branding. I don't mind though, the 920 is still the best phone out today over 6 months later.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
GSMarena says ND filter is in place, and if that is true, we can rule out any sort of variable aperture.

"The Nokia EOS is said to feature a 41 MP (38 MP effective) 1/1.2" sensor with Carl Zeiss optics, ND filter, PureView technology and should, if rumores are true, inherit the very exclusive seat of the Nokia 808 PureView, which remains unbeaten at the very top of the cameraphone food chain."

Latest leak confirms Nokia EOS red color version - GSMArena.com news

looks good in red
gsmarena_001.jpg

Also itching to see whats underneath there. My guess would be processor. I wonder if they kept the 5 element lens of the 808 or modified it to 6 like the new L925. The phone is a bit ugly but I agree it'll look best in white. I actually think the 808 is better looking although thicker. Leaked pictures galore certainly made today interesting.

I am almost certain its the same lens.. it took them years to develop that thing for the HES9 sensor, I doubt that they would go trough that trouble again for the same sensor. If the sensor is different, then they might have to.. but otherwise, same amazing lens :)

The important part is that they have the hardware in place, no matter how many features they cut out, or how bad the jpeg processing might be, the hes9/cz lens is a very strong combo so the results will still be much better than anything else out there. And with time, it would only get better..

I am just guessing.. it might be optimal at launch since they have all the know-how from the previous project.

I hope it has a removable back like the 808 so you can change out batteries. This is very important if you are going to take a lot of photos or videos.

That is one of the main design drawbacks.

Its a camera centric device.. it will be much better if it had

1. SD card slot
2. Removable battery

Sometime if you go out shooting you can end up with 200-300 photos and its much easier to take the sd card out and just dump them on your PC. Also, in that same scenario you might need more than one battery pack.. specially if you are geo tagging.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
wow - a lot sure happens in a couple of days :)
i go away for a week and now we have what appear to be true to life shots of the upcoming July device...
Am as curious as everyone else here as to why the lens is not centered with the larger hump... Does this Xenon look like the 928 Xenon (and hence provide some code similarities for timing etc.?)
I was hoping for OIS - perhaps this larger hump gives that ability?

As for @katamari's post on pixel binning and comparing it to Pureview - its not just about resizing/resampling/binning, but started as a project to get back to a zoom function, without the mechanical measures needed for it and the noise that goes with it...anyone who has tried the 808 zoom will be shocked how smooth it is...

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Mini review:

http://vizileaks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/first-hands-on-mini-review.html

I also am very very curious about why the camera wouldn't be centred... It could be a capacitor to the left of the lens, it could also be a processor but most rumours clock this as a quad core and if they split it 50/50 that leaves quite a lot for the camera...
This might be a mad idea but I noticed on the verge or tech radar they mentioned the possibility of aperture change... Now could this be nothing or it could be part of that... lens swapping... think 3 disc cd-changer... filtered, large and small...or various zooms.... I know its a mad idea but the area of the hump is bigger than the 808 and as many have said there is "less" in it, as in no speaker, what looks to be smaller (but longer) flash... So whats in there... If you check the yellow leak you can see where the camera goes, what looks like the flash only down the bottom not the top, prolly capacitor for flash or motor to drive cd-changer ;) and a large area opposite the camera (left of) that's the battery... so that still leaves a lot of space above the battery in the black part itself, like the flash as no space "in" the phone is used for it.... and they wouldn't sit the capacitor above the battery.... serious heat problems.... anyway my 2 cents...

I'd also like to add thank you nokia for going back and going L800 on the screen.... there's no rim thing between the glass and the poly.... made the 800 sooooo sleek and ruined the 920 (I own a 920) was such a peev with me.... I just singled it out as THE worst thing about the phone because after the 800 it was like wtf are you doing moving back.... I know it prolly made it harder to build, the 920 being hard anyway but come on.... To me the 800 in white is the best looking phone on earth (had to buy one to replace the one I lost even tho I had a 920)... so clean, and Metro makes it pop with the super blacks and yea.... I'm so happy they went back with this.... even the tapered ends.... this in white..... mmmmmm......

You might be onto something here... now I am hearing "dual" aperture.. or something I don't quite understand.

We will have to wait and see :)

elessar25

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone comment if the upcoming Nokia "EOS" will be able to work on T-Mobile's LTE? I am pretty sure that it'll support T-Mobile's DC-HSPA+ 42Mbps network b/c both AT&T and T-Mobile now use the 1700MHz spectrum for their HSPA. But what about LTE? Obviously, I'm talking about getting the AT&T version unlocked.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I assume Nokia will be releasing a Rogers version with the Tmo bands like they did with the 920 since this will be AT&T exclusive.

elessar25

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
So then the Rogers version would work on T-Mobile's LTE and HSPA+? Sorry, I wasn't privy to the Rogers 920 discussion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Very nice explanation by ex Nokian on why mechanical shutters are necessary for a xenon flash..

Damian Dinning Explains the Mechanical Shutter to MNB : My Nokia Blog

Hi everyone, there are so few factually correct statements in the original piece or related comments (no disrespect intended) I felt compelled to help explain.
icon_smile.gif

Please note, my comments are ONLY addressing the general topic of mechanical shutters – no more.
Keeping it simple, the main reason for fitting mechanical shutters is for use with xenon flash. Typically CMOS sensors read light across the sensor from left to right and top to bottom. The time each pixel is ‘read’ is the effective shutter speed. This is OK in most cases and OK with LED flash as the light is effectively constant/continuous. LED flash in most cases being the equivalent of turning on a torch before the exposure and turning it off after the exposure has been made, effectively increasing the amount of light in the scene more or less for the duration of the picture.

In the case of xenon, the flash fires a very short ‘pulse’ of light. This pulse can be as short as approximately 1/25,000 (hence why xenon can freeze high speed movement). With a typical CMOS sensor the time difference between the 1st pixel being ‘read’ and the last is greater than this time. The result would be some pixels would be correctly exposed whilst others would be dark or even potentially black. To overcome this, the pixels are effectively read all at the same time. But to achieve this all pixels are turned on, the shutter opens, the flash fires, the shutter closes and the pixels turned off. And that’s why typically mechanical shutters have been needed in products such as n8, n82, n808. In some cases some latest generation sensors can read all their pixels at very high speed (note: again don’t ask me to comment on speculation or rumour) allowing xenon to be used. In some cases e.g. Nikon 1 series these later generation sensors are allowing for electronic shutters which can provide potential advantages in high frame rate scenarios which mechanical shutters would not be suitable for.

In some cases a hybrid approach maybe used e.g. a SE product of a few years back which featured xenon only used the mechanical shutter for flash but not other situations, which meant in that case it didn’t provide the following potential advantage….
With mechanical shutters, because the pixels are effectively read all at the same time it overcomes the motion skew effect which can typically occur with CMOS sensors due to the time difference between the first and last pixels being read. As the read time from CMOS sensors is increasing (shorter read times) this is becoming less of an issue in some cases.

Mechanical shutters do require additional space, there are no space advantages to them.
As for dust protection there is some theoretical advantage to them but in practice (at least in my experience) I have seen dust penetration in all cameras, there is a fundamental limit to what can be done to prevent dust penetration.
Hope that clarifies things

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
S4 zoom this summer. I hope the eos to launch by the same date, and see comparisons. I bet for Nokia. Already we know 808 pureview is far better than galaxy camera. And these new 2 are almost the same...

Enviado desde mi C6603 usando Tapatalk 2

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo