Nokia "EOS"

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
At least she is kind of cute.. but still, bad journalism is bad journalism ..

q3Y3JY7.jpg

S4 zoom this summer. I hope the eos to launch by the same date, and see comparisons. I bet for Nokia. Already we know 808 pureview is far better than galaxy camera. And these new 2 are almost the same...

Its this camera: 16 Megapixel WiFi Digital Camera in Black | Samsung WB850F

repackaged .. I am guessing they had too many and had to move the components somehow.

In terms if IQ.. the 808 is ahead. Also, the lens is much better.. I looked at couple of samples and the Sammy is showing quite a bit of softness toward the edges, the 808 keeps things sharp from end to end.

Devices like this put the Phase 1 system in perspective... no wonder in won bunch of awards last year.

Last edited:

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
"Zoom Reinvented", 11th July, NYC, 11am - curious set of dates and times....see EOS thread here which links to Engadget.
Is this for the EOS we think? I think so...
but what about reinvented do they mean?
the lumia 925 tagline was :"more than your eyes can see"...
are they just taking liberty with the wording? or do they mean reinvented?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
"Zoom Reinvented", 11th July, NYC, 11am - curious set of dates and times....see EOS thread here which links to Engadget.
Is this for the EOS we think? I think so...
but what about reinvented do they mean?
the lumia 925 tagline was :"more than your eyes can see"...
are they just taking liberty with the wording? or do they mean reinvented?

It's called teaser and marketing. Certainly doesn't mean there's anything new compared to 808.
Not to say there couldn't be.

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
May it mean a little optical zoom combined with the "sensor crop" zoom?. For example, I think the 808 in pureview mode is able to 3x zoom (or even more, don't know), and if there were another 3x optical zoom, the final result would be 9x zoom max...

My guess is: Why compact cameras, and Galaxy S4 zoom need such a bigger lens if the sensor size is smaller than 808 pureview/EOS?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Certainly doesn't mean there's anything new compared to 808.

it took them more than 17 months to port this over to WP.. there better be something new, or at least a little improvement over the 808.

May it mean a little optical zoom combined with the "sensor crop" zoom?. For example, I think the 808 in pureview mode is able to 3x zoom (or even more, don't know), and if there were another 3x optical zoom, the final result would be 9x zoom max...

My guess is: Why compact cameras, and Galaxy S4 zoom need such a bigger lens if the sensor size is smaller than 808 pureview/EOS?

The zoom "crop" tech in the 808 is directly related, or rather a function of the mpix count you want to use vs how much you want to zoom.. the larger the picture, the less zoom you have at your disposal.

nokia_808_zoom.jpg

The most important aspect of this is that.. you have no movable parts, and the aperture stays fixed throughout the zoom range. With the gs4 zoom, the more you zoom, the less light is reaching the sensor, which leads to IQ degradation..

Also, when the Phase 1 system crops, it does so from the middle of the frame, so you get absolutely no softness around the edges of the frame, which you will with a complex lens design such as the one on the gs4 zoom.

The good thing about an optical zoom is that you can achieve "bokeh" (blurred background) when you zoom in on a bigger object, with the 808 crop/zoom... you don't get that.

Example, this is at max zoom (3x) on the 808

With the gs4 zoom you might be able to blur the background. In this case.. its okay that it isn't, but in most cases you would want it to be. Also, note that its sharp from end to end.. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss