Open Letter to Stephen Elop.....My Expectations of the upcoming Nokia EOS

Yenrich

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
NOKIA ?EOS? MUST BE THE REAL GAME-CHANGER
I have been a Nokia fan ever since mobile phones were started to become popular in Ghana in the early nineties. My father?s first mobile phone was a Nokia; this was around 1994.
My mother gave me my very first mobile phone, a Nokia 8210 she had been using for sometime, when I was entering university in August 2005; Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology, Kumasi. In September, 2005, I received a Nokia 6620 as a gift from an uncle in Canada. I remember vividly, how everyone who saw my 6620 was blown away by the technology it packed then. The picture quality was amazing and the phone was well built. The battery life was fantastic. Browsing on it brought me sheer happiness. The 6620 was by every standard then, a smartphone. In those days, about 85% of the people I knew used Nokia phones. Samsung and Apple were not in the class of Nokia when it came to mobile phones.
Well, I used the 6620 until it was stolen on my university?s campus in December, 2007. From then on I used 1200 or so. When I lost my 6620, I yearned so much for the N95 8GB and lo and behold in June, 2009, I received the N95 8GB as a gift from my uncle in Canada which I used until October 2012 because I could not afford to buy a smartphone and because I did not want to buy any android crap. I was hoping we could further develop the Symbian OS but that was never to be.
In October, 2012 I bought the Lumia 710; the first phone I bought with my own money. Then in November 2012 I pre-ordered a Nokia Lumia 920 which I received on 24th December, 2012.

NOKIA, MY LOVE
I love Nokia more than any other brand in the world. My girlfriend uses a Samsung Galaxy SIII and we?ve had numerous fights over whose phone is superior and everytime she seems to be amazed by the kind of affection I have for Nokia. Due to this amazing affection, I opened an online shop and I have succeeded in selling a few tens of Lumias and succeeded in convincing some of my friends to switch to Lumia.

EXPECTATIONS
I have heard of rumours of an upcoming Nokia ?EOS? which is set to be the 808 successor running windows phone OS. I have also heard of the Catwalk and even a phablet. I am waiting for all these devices. Plus I am desperately waiting for a Nokia tablet. I haven?t bought any tablet yet because I am waiting for A NOKIA TABLET.
I have fought too many fights for Nokia and I believe it is time for Nokia to silence its critics once and for all. The Nokia Lumia 920 is a great phone but all true Nokians know it could have been better. The absence of a microSD card slot was a shocker and the reasons given for its absence was untenable and leaves much to be desired.
To go straight to the point, this is what I expect from the upcoming EOS/Phablet. I imagine taking fantastic shots and viewing your memorable moments on a large 5.5? PureMotion 1080p screen. Hmmmmmm??

- 5? ? 5.5? PureMotion 1080p Screen
- 41MP PureView Camera with Xenon Flash + LED Flash
- Snapdragon 800 QuadCore Processor
- 2GB RAM
- 64GB Internal Storage + MicroSD Card Support
- Wireless Charging
- 3000mAh ? 3600mAh Battery Capacity
- FM Radio + FM Transmitter
- HDMI

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
NOKIA ?EOS? MUST BE THE REAL GAME-CHANGER
I have been a Nokia fan ever since mobile phones were started to become popular in Ghana in the early nineties. My father?s first mobile phone was a Nokia; this was around 1994.
My mother gave me my very first mobile phone, a Nokia 8210 she had been using for sometime, when I was entering university in August 2005; Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology, Kumasi. In September, 2005, I received a Nokia 6620 as a gift from an uncle in Canada. I remember vividly, how everyone who saw my 6620 was blown away by the technology it packed then. The picture quality was amazing and the phone was well built. The battery life was fantastic. Browsing on it brought me sheer happiness. The 6620 was by every standard then, a smartphone. In those days, about 85% of the people I knew used Nokia phones. Samsung and Apple were not in the class of Nokia when it came to mobile phones.
Well, I used the 6620 until it was stolen on my university?s campus in December, 2007. From then on I used 1200 or so. When I lost my 6620, I yearned so much for the N95 8GB and lo and behold in June, 2009, I received the N95 8GB as a gift from my uncle in Canada which I used until October 2012 because I could not afford to buy a smartphone and because I did not want to buy any android crap. I was hoping we could further develop the Symbian OS but that was never to be.
In October, 2012 I bought the Lumia 710; the first phone I bought with my own money. Then in November 2012 I pre-ordered a Nokia Lumia 920 which I received on 24th December, 2012.

NOKIA, MY LOVE
I love Nokia more than any other brand in the world. My girlfriend uses a Samsung Galaxy SIII and we?ve had numerous fights over whose phone is superior and everytime she seems to be amazed by the kind of affection I have for Nokia. Due to this amazing affection, I opened an online shop and I have succeeded in selling a few tens of Lumias and succeeded in convincing some of my friends to switch to Lumia.

EXPECTATIONS
I have heard of rumours of an upcoming Nokia ?EOS? which is set to be the 808 successor running windows phone OS. I have also heard of the Catwalk and even a phablet. I am waiting for all these devices. Plus I am desperately waiting for a Nokia tablet. I haven?t bought any tablet yet because I am waiting for A NOKIA TABLET.
I have fought too many fights for Nokia and I believe it is time for Nokia to silence its critics once and for all. The Nokia Lumia 920 is a great phone but all true Nokians know it could have been better. The absence of a microSD card slot was a shocker and the reasons given for its absence was untenable and leaves much to be desired.
To go straight to the point, this is what I expect from the upcoming EOS/Phablet. I imagine taking fantastic shots and viewing your memorable moments on a large 5.5? PureMotion 1080p screen. Hmmmmmm??

-5? ? 5.5? PureMotion 1080p Screen
-41MP PureView Camera with Xenon Flash + LED Flash
-Snapdragon 800 QuadCore Processor
-2GB RAM
-64GB Internal Storage + MicroSD Card Support
-Wireless Charging
-3000mAh ? 3600mAh Battery Capacity
-FM Radio + FM Transmitter
-HDMI

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Elop does reply to emails now and then so you should try firing off an email to the Nokia customer service email (I forgot the exact address to the one that he replies to though)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Elop does reply to emails now and then so you should try firing off an email to the Nokia customer service email (I forgot the exact address to the one that he replies to though)
It's not him who replies. The emails just come from his email address.

Don't be fooled.

Dave Granger

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't want a 'phablet', and I'm yet to be convinced that 1080p screens on a phone are anything other than a waste of processor power, the 920's screen is already sharper than an iPhone's, and that's sharp enough for anyone. Other than that I agree, especially that it needs a large Razr Maxx-esque battery.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't want a 'phablet', and I'm yet to be convinced that 1080p screens on a phone are anything other than a waste of processor power, the 920's screen is already sharper than an iPhone's, and that's sharp enough for anyone.

I'm with you on that. In fact, my 822 with a 480x800 screen is more than adequate. IMO, anything higher than that is just a bragging point. Seriously, why does a phone need 1080p? Do people really watch movies on their phone and expect it to be true hi-def???

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you on that. In fact, my 822 with a 480x800 screen is more than adequate. IMO, anything higher than that is just a bragging point. Seriously, why does a phone need 1080p? Do people really watch movies on their phone and expect it to be true hi-def???

I see the difference between 800x480 and the ~330 screens easily.
I do agree that 1080 on smaller than 5" screens make no difference, but as others got those, why not MS. If you can get the phone with the same price with high reso screen on Android and it costs as much to implement for Nokia, HTC on WP, then you naturally expect it on a similary priced WP device. It's just that simple.

Though before WP sees support for 1080 reso, we wont see any. Especially if EOS gets announced soon then i can't see 1080 screen there.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'll gladly trade in the pointless 1080P screen for, longer battery (920 has not been up to scratch), no overheating and firmware updates that actually improve your phone.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The suggested specs here will yield a phone in the 250 gram range.. its not going to happen.

By the time Nokia get their act together, Android OEMs (mainly Sony/Sammy) will have droids with good enough cameras to where it won?t matter that much.. they might loose that differentiator power rather quickly.

If this is true: Alleged details on the camera sensor of Sony Honami emerge - GSMArena.com news

? that sensor is big enough for 2.0+ micron pixels if they do it right, and at that point the jpeg IQ will be very close to 808 levels.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
- 5” – 5.5” PureMotion 1080p Screen
- 41MP PureView Camera with Xenon Flash + LED Flash
- Snapdragon 800 QuadCore Processor
- 2GB RAM
- 64GB Internal Storage + MicroSD Card Support
- Wireless Charging
- 3000mAh – 3600mAh Battery Capacity
- FM Radio + FM Transmitter
- HDMI

well maybe you wouldn't mind 300g phone but other people not so much...and Nokia needs to sell many of those to survive after years of mismanagement by OPK&Elop

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I see the difference between 800x480 and the ~330 screens easily.
I do agree that 1080 on smaller than 5" screens make no difference, but as others got those, why not MS. If you can get the phone with the same price with high reso screen on Android and it costs as much to implement for Nokia, HTC on WP, then you naturally expect it on a similary priced WP device. It's just that simple.

Though before WP sees support for 1080 reso, we wont see any. Especially if EOS gets announced soon then i can't see 1080 screen there.

I'm not saying that you can't tell the difference between the 800x480 and the higher resolution screens. I'm just saying, "What's the point?" Now, when you get over 5", or mabye 6", there may be a point, but seriously, I'm not going to do anything on my phone that requires it. It's a want, not a need.

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia did deliver on the 808 pureview, but with that wishlist for the EOS is way to big, only a few things he has there will be carried over, nothing else.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm just saying, "What's the point?"
The point is that cutting edge specs sell. They do, regardless if we can really tell the difference, which you are correct in that almost everybody cannot. Regardless, Windows Phone needs to keep pace to stay relevant, period.

anon(5345625)

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If this ends up being in phablet size territory, I'll just be getting something entry level and keep waiting forever I guess. All I want is the 808 camera and SD card support. An FM Transmitter would be amazing as well though. I used it all the time on my Nokia N8.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
-5" is as big as i'll go (make it 4.8" or just make the damn bezels smaller...they have some of the biggest top/bottom bezels and somewhat thickest side bezels)
-1080p needs to be an option at this point (specs sell.....) If the Lumia 925 is any indication, it'll have to be an AMOLED puremotion HD+ screen to keep the thickness down.
-41mpx sensor with xenon/LED flash (dunno, don't care...flash is flash)
-Snapdragon 800 quad (apparently its the only one that supports large mpx I think I read 55mpx while the other snapdragons only go up to 20mpx?)
-3000mah battery would probably be way too thick. make it 2500mah if they cant keep things under control at the 2000mah.
-internal memory and RAM size don't matter to me (what the hell app needs 2gb of ram right now let alone 1gb......). but to keep up with the joneses and not get overlooked DUE to specs, they gotta have at least 2gb of ram and 32gb of storage + SD support. (hell have 16/32/64gb base options like some other phones)

To help with some of the packaging constraints, they really need to consider a removable backplate.
1.) They wouldn't have to worry about where the SD/SIM card slots go and how to access them from the edges.
2.) The battery can be a modest size, and be swappable for whomever wants a larger battery. (helps with reboots too)
3.) wireless charging could just be an optional backplate ala Lumia 820 series. (instead of the weird looking semi backplate wireless charging thing for the 925)
4.) COLORS!!!

The way the 925 looks, that portion of the back that is polycarbonate could be used as the removable section.

The other thing is their release schedule is so wonky at this point....its closer to the iphone release schedule than it is to the Galaxy/HTC ones. Where the Galaxy/HTC gets released early in the year, the iphone/nokia is released at the latter portion. And frankly, Nokia doesn't have the name recognition that iphone does with the isheep so they really need to drop a megaton bomb for their next flagship reveal.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Agree on a lot of your points and wants :)
I think i would be happy enough not to have a micro SD if we had 64GB (a la my wife's N9)
wireless charging needs to be there with the device as sold - i dont want to buy a different cover.
If the graphene sensor is coming in this...the thickness will be reduced to just whatever they need to do for the lens (number of lens , f stop etc)
i would like a phone less than 5" - thats too big i think and around the 4.5 to 4.7" size would be ideal i think for one handed use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss