Poll: Who's excited for the "EOS" (based on leaked images)

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Like most of you excited for a new Nokia flagship successor to the Lumia 92x I'm sure we've been seeing all the news of the new "EOS" device. While there's reputable sources saying we'll be seeing a new device with similiar camera tech at the Nokia PureView 808 41MP phone, there's no official specs or images yet from Nokia to show us. Supposed images are being leaked daily now to drive our excitement in hopes the 41MP camera will finally phone onto Windows Phone devices BUT one thing still remains true... The current line of Qualcomm processors being used will not support a 41MP camera in a Windows Phone device. That leads me to believe IF in fact these rumoured pictures are true that this will be a dumbed down (and ugly in my opinion) first EOS attempt. Based on the pictures we're also noticing a huge resemblence to our beloved Lumia 92x series phones. Which also has me questioning why I would upgrade to a phone that is essentially the iPhone 4S version of the Lumia 920. This is the looking like the Lumia 920S with the same sized screen, same design, possible similar hardware specs and an improved camera.

Is this the phone we've all been anxiously awaiting? Just a minor update to our still pretty new Lumia 92x phones? Only time will tell when official pics are revealed and official specs. For now though these leaked pictures are all we have. Does this phone excite you?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
If its a 1:1 port from the 808 you don't need more than 1 core to run the system.. Phase 1 can run on an ARM11 architecture from 2002, which is what we have in the 808

Interesting.. Then I'm curious why I'm reading that only the Snapdragon 800 line will support 41MP's..

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's a successor to the 92X, I think it's another addition to the Lumia lineup. We'll probably see a successor to the 92X in November.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.. Then I'm curious why I'm reading that only the Snapdragon 800 line will support 41MP's..

Well it's not quite that simple. When Nokia was making 808 there was no SoC that supported anything near 41MP, let alone combining that sensor with the heavy oversampling algorithms. Nokia's solution was to use fairly low end CPU, but it was paired with strong GPU and another in the camera module that works as a heavy duty buffer.

There needs to be something extra inside EOS and at the moment I think Nokia might be looking at similar solution as on 808PV. It's a detail i'm interested as i was sure this device was going to be released for Holidays with Qualcomm 600 or 800. So far the rumors are pointing at summer reveal and rumors have been talking about WP Qualcomm 600 devices coming for Q4.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
@borasar I hope you are right! So far I'd much rather wait for the Nokia phablet device. A 1080p, 6" Windows Phone over another 920 with a better camera works better for me any day.

@tissotti Also interested in the same.. If there's another device scheduled for Nov or holiday season I'll likely hold out for it.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not certain about a November release of a successor to 92X, but EOS is for sure not a successor, it's just another member of the line-up; I think a phablet will be another member as well.
So they'll probably have a 92X successor, EOS and phablet as the top tier of the Lumia line.

I personally don't like phablets and am very happy with the screen size on my 920 (although would be great if the bezel is reduced on a successor), but it is an important device to have.
@borasar I hope you are right! So far I'd much rather wait for the Nokia phablet device. A 1080p, 6" Windows Phone over another 920 with a better camera works better for me any day.

@tissotti Also interested in the same.. If there's another device scheduled for Nov or holiday season I'll likely hold out for it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm excited for it due to the fact that it will help WP8's popularity on the whole.

I don't think I'll be getting it though since the price will most likely be out of my range.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You could have added "NO" to the poll or "I'm stuck for an upgrade until October 2014 so why should I be excited about any new phone right now"

Seriously though, its good to see Nokia pushing the camera specs as no other company can match them and any additional handset is good for the overall progress of WP8 but I cant say I'm excited.

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
it's so hard to pass judgement on this, because on one level it's just amazingly advanced. even if it carries no improvement over the 808 this will be the best camera in any phone and from what i've seen it can go head to head with dslr's easy. so imagine that, no needing another camera beside your phone ever again, that's really not a territory that any other manufacturer has been able to realistically get into yet.

on the other hand though, the design seems to have suffered incredibly. i almost refuse to believe this will be the final product because it looks so hashed together; it looks like they just went and slapped the 808's sensor on the back of a 920. when one of the complaints with the 920 was its bulkiness it seems they only added to that. i mean sure the 808 was held back by the outdated software, but also by the size, which was fine for a first generation sort of experimental device, but if this is to join the lumia line it's not unreasonable to expect more refinement.
it's really hard to call though. if this indeed is the final product i doubt it will be a success outside of the tech crowd. if however they tidy it up significantly, like they did with between the 925 prototype and final product then maybe...

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah agreed.. As much as I love WP and my Lumia 920.. And as much as I love to upgrade my phone early at every available chance I'll be passing on this. Like others agree, I already own a 920 and prefer mine that doesn't have a birth defect growing out the back of it. The camera on the 92x is damn well good enough for me to hold off for the real deal whenever Nokia is ready to release the Kraken.

I just have a bad feeling tech sites and bloggers are going to rip this phone to shreds if it's released in a month. Nokia should play things smarter and wait until the have a full hand before they throw down their cards. Keep the EOS until GDR 3 is ready. Launch a 5" or higher flagship model with a 1080p screen, snapdragon 800 and go all out. Instead they're letting the cat out bag earlier than they should just to please the complainers or make a quick buck. It's sad in my opinion and could hurt sales. Let people be patient, launch EOS on the flagship for holiday season and make a killing. That's what I would do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb