Why make a "Smart Watch"? Makes little sense, watches are jewelry and people pay extra for Swiss watches and also like Japanese watches.
    Be it the Swatch Group, LVMH, Citizen, Seiko or Casio... they know how to make certain types of watches.

MAKE A SMART WATCH MODULE!

All you need is a series or modules that the manufacturers can build into their classic watches, along with software on Android, iOS and WP8 to communicate with the modules via Bluetooth.

You see, the main issue is battery life, people will not like to charge their watches every few days. So either you let a mechanical movement give you the time and have a module where you accept that sometimes it is out of power, or you reduce the modules to what is needed. Like a notification light, a mini LCD display, but not too much as ideally you want to either use a solar or automatic mechanical or both recharging system. You add too much... the gadget will fail at its basic function Nr.1 too frequently, basically giving you the time and date.

You see, some people will be happy with two three notification lights, others will want to see a txt saying "New Email"... Using modules you could make a Rolex with notification light or a Tissot Touch with a large LCD display and touchscreen and it already has many build in gadgets.

So here, Software and modules are the key... Not hardware... Frankly... Some people will only wear a G-Shock from Casio cause they need it, others only a Seiko, others want their Omega, and some simply want their Tissot Touch. Who wants to wear a MS, Apple or Huawei Watch?

So... make modules and Software which can be added to ie, Sense, Touchwiz, iOS and WP.

For me this is the right approach to crack this nut.
    Last edited by Coolknight1968; 07-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    hombreee likes this.
    07-15-2013 06:31 PM
    It remains to be seen whether or not smart watches will become popular or will just be niche products.

The trend seems to be that more people are using their smartphones as watch replacements (the exception being those who like high-end watches).
    07-15-2013 11:40 PM
    For myself personally, a smart watch would be most useful for running - if I wanted to use some of those running / fitness apps. I have no interest in wearing a smartphone sized device while running. I haven't worn a watch (outside of running) in years since my battery last died. Mobile phone provides me with the time, computer has the time, car has the time. There is no longer much of a need for a watch as a time telling instrument - other than those who wear watches as jewelry.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-2013 12:08 AM
    I agree with you a 100%, watches are jewelry, a statement for most people. For a deep see diver they are a must have... for most they can get the time on some other device. Integrating a basic mobile phone with BT for a headset and SMS is a non issue, those products are available. You can also use an iPod mini as a watch. Here you will run in always the same problem, battery life vs functionality. So ie. in your case something like a Tissot Touch with BT headset and mobile phone and that allows for some sports apps would a the solution that could appeal to you. For me... I would be happy with a notification light that tells informs me ie. of a new message/call while my phone is set to silent most of the time. As you say, watches are fashion, they are a statement and people have brand preferences, so it might be easier to sell ie. a Seiko Smart Watch to some and a Omega to others. Not to mention that margins on high end watches are excellent and allow for adding some modules, also high end watches cost all well above $2'000.- and the buyers will willingly pay a few $100.- extra for added functionalities.
    07-16-2013 09:43 AM
    Doesn't Apple have the patent on flexible battery technology? I just have a feeling that if Apple is the only one that comes out with a SmartBand, where you see the UI across the entire length of the band, not just in the center area, they win. If everyone else is just a Pebble knock-off, that's not innovative. I hope Microsoft is working on a band design.

That's why I call this new products segment - the SmartBand, not SmartWatch.

Microsoft Surface Band!
    07-17-2013 12:23 AM
    i dont care if i have to charge my "smart watch" every day, i have to stop wearing it at the end of the day anyway so whats the problem with putting it in a wireless charging dock like the lumia 920 that would be good enough, also i think we need to look at smart watches apart from normal watches, same as feature phones vs smartphones, they are different devices really, a feature phone is simply that.. a phone, and a smartphone is a device that can make calls as one of their infinite functions, so.. why not make a smart watch that is simply a curved 2-3" widescreen with no bezels, and the main use? a basic mini controller for your smartphone, tablet and maybeee.. desktop/hdtv
    07-22-2013 09:57 PM