Phones are too big...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes joke about how its compensating for something... don't really like how they became two-handed devices. Is that no longer important?

I once picked up an HTC HD2, which is a 4.3 incher, and I feel my sister's Lumia 521's 4 incher screen is the perfect size.

My Palm Pre 2's 3.1" display was nice, made for a compact package, but there were times when a bit more real estate wouldve been appreciated.

What I'd really like to see is a compact high-end phone. that isn't cheap. The last real one I think was the HP Veer, not amazingly high-end, but it felt premium and whatnot in what probably was a bit too small package for some. But these days, "Mini" is not mini at all! (well maybe it is to the big boys, but still..)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes joke about how its compensating for something... don't really like how they became two-handed devices. Is that no longer important?

I once picked up an HTC HD2, which is a 4.3 incher, and I feel my sister's Lumia 521's 4 incher screen is the perfect size.

My Palm Pre 2's 3.1" display was nice, made for a compact package, but there were times when a bit more real estate wouldve been appreciated.

What I'd really like to see is a compact high-end phone. that isn't cheap. The last real one I think was the HP Veer, not amazingly high-end, but it felt premium and whatnot in what probably was a bit too small package for some. But these days, "Mini" is not mini at all! (well maybe it is to the big boys, but still..)

My wife refuses to let go of her Pre2. She had a couple of Veers, which she absolutely loved, but the rapid battery drain issues coupled with that magnetic charging cable abortion eventually drove her to the 2. Thank goodness for Touchstone! As for a compact, high-end phone, that would have been the Pre3. Perfect screen size and a small-ish form factor. Damn! You got me pining for a webOS device again.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a Lumia 800 and I've got a Lumia 920. She likes typing and browsing on the 920, but likes the size and practicality of the 800 better. It's nearing it's life's end though in terms of battery etc., so I've been shopping around for a replacement.

The 720 is good weight- and look-wise, but its specs are just not up to speed, and it's still a bit larger than her 800. For her it's the pocket-test that decides. If it's uncomfortable in the pocket, it ain't happening....

The 920 is ok for me in my pocket, but I'm a big bloke. For petite people who like to have a high-spec phone that fits in their front trouser pocket, there's not much choice, because currently, high-spec automatically equals minimum 4.3" screens...

I do wish there was a true WP8 successor to the Lumia 800

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
A little dumpster diving going on ove the weekend.

Anyway. Phone manufactures create, market, and distribute their devices based upon demand and customer wants. The reason they are making larger phones is due to the majority of the customer wants and demand are pointing towards the larger devices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A little dumpster diving going on ove the weekend.

Anyway. Phone manufactures create, market, and distribute their devices based upon demand and customer wants. The reason they are making larger phones is due to the majority of the customer wants and demand are pointing towards the larger devices.

also so they can 1-up the competition on paper

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
3qdlw5

534164_542884765760053_2032425453_n.jpg
tumblr_m0pcppCgQ21r8058ko1_250.gif

tumblr_m2coq5LVsR1qh3vok.gif

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the HTC 8x was one of the best feeling phones I've ever held.
It's 4.3", but it's curved back makes it feel smaller.
Personally, I think a 4" widescreen would be perfect (I can't get my thumb to the top-left on the 8x).
JJ

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad it isn't just me then! Shame to see Nokia just launching a new phone today - Lumia 625, that has an even bigger screen (4.7"). I will not go over 3.7" myself (unless they manage to pack 4" into the same form factor as the L800), but here's hoping that someone at Nokia realises that there are many, many people out there who want a slim, narrow phone that fits neatly into one hand.

its about time we had a high spec device with a 4.3/4.5 screen. Totally agree. Should have sd slot as well tho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon