Phones are too big...

howard-moore

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am sure this is something that has come up before, but I am getting really bored with all new devices being quite so large. I have had a Lumia 800 since launch in the UK (Nov 2011), and sadly it broke a couple of weeks ago. I sent it in as it was still under warranty, but Nokia didn't have any 800s left, so offered me an 'upgrade' to a 900, and when I said I didn't like it due to the size, sent me a further upgrade to an 820.

This says two things: firstly, Nokia's customer care is incredible, and secondly, all phones seem to be getting enormous. When I got the 800, it was the flagship advice for Nokia, and had the same screen size as the iPhone. Now, the similar-ranged phone, the 820, is much taller, wider and heavier, and has a 4.3" screen that does very little when it comes to showing content any better (bigger screen with same ratio means less definition!).

As far as I understand it, large screen phones do sell, but they are not for everyone, as demonstrated by the success of the Android mini ranges. The form factor of the 800 is about as large as I am prepared to go, which is why I have actually sold the 820 and bought another 800 (even taking the hit from WP8 to WP7!). Please, Nokia, make some decent-specced devices that have a small form factor - we don't all want a mini laptop in our suit pockets.

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
A 4.5 inch screen is the max for tastes.

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but that size works fine for me as an actual phone device.

I'm like you, I don't want to lug a phablet with me everywhere I go.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I've got a 920 but always preferred smaller screens. Here in Canada we are limited to our Nokia phone options, so I just went with the best flagship we have. My buddy recently got a 520, I love the screen size and really wish we were given more options with a smaller screen high end performance smartphone.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I always felt the Palm Pre 2 was the perfect size. I now have an HTC 8x and even though I am use to the size I still think its too big.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Love the 920 size; would like it even better with smaller bezel all around, especially the bottom. No problem with larger phones but I do hope we'll see smaller size flagship options in the future. HTC One Mini is close, but I think the specs and build could have been closer to the original.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I Truly envy you guys that wish for a smaller screen. My eye sight has gone south so much with age that the larger the screen, the easier it is for me to see. I do see your point.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me if I make a ridiculous comment, but wouldn't we all be served better by a 4" screen but with a 4:3 aspect ratio? I know 16:9 is preferred for watching video but I have a large screen TV at home for that. I'm like aximtreo in that my vision has started to deteriorate with age. I used a Pantech Pocket about a year or so ago and I loved the 4:3 form factor. Granted, it was an Android on GB so it sucked by default but it was very easy to read web pages and emails with little scrolling. Typing was also a breeze on the wider keyboard, and I don't do well with virtual kb's.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me if I make a ridiculous comment, but wouldn't we all be served better by a 4" screen but with a 4:3 aspect ratio? I know 16:9 is preferred for watching video but I have a large screen TV at home for that. I'm like aximtreo in that my vision has started to deteriorate with age. I used a Pantech Pocket about a year or so ago and I loved the 4:3 form factor. Granted, it was an Android on GB so it sucked by default but it was very easy to read web pages and emails with little scrolling. Typing was also a breeze on the wider keyboard, and I don't do well with virtual kb's.
I wouldn't say it's ridiculous.

It would be nice if manufacturers offered both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. Some people prefer watching videos, but other people do not use that feature as much. There is nothing wrong with offering more options for consumers.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree that phone sizes are getting out of control. I laugh every time I see a Galaxy Note or that huge LG phone (I forget the name) up to someone's ear. It just looks silly to me. To each their own though. Personally, I prefer to stick to the 4.3"-4.5" range.

Another thing to consider is people with small hands. My wife has an 8x and she likes it a lot, but every now and then she tells me that she wishes it were smaller. She used to have an HTC Radar, and that was perfect for her.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally, 4.7" is my max...4.3" is my sweet spot. My favorite small phoned where the HTC Mozart and the Nexus S, screen size wise. Once I tried the Focus S, I was hooked on a larger screen permanently. That's why I like the 8X...small, yet big screen. 😊

howard-moore

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad it isn't just me then! Shame to see Nokia just launching a new phone today - Lumia 625, that has an even bigger screen (4.7"). I will not go over 3.7" myself (unless they manage to pack 4" into the same form factor as the L800), but here's hoping that someone at Nokia realises that there are many, many people out there who want a slim, narrow phone that fits neatly into one hand.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
It's funny, when I first p/u my 4.3" phone, I thought it was huge and perfect. Now over 2yrs later, it feels much smaller. Could be my eyes :D or the fact that I browse, watch more vids and use more office files on it now. Either way, I'm shopping for bigger. I don't like phablets at all, but it is for some. I also dislike smaller screens as they look too dainty. My hand envelopes my 4.3 causing me to hit buttons by mistake. When I hold 4.7-4.8 screen phones, they feel and look amazing.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree that phone sizes are getting out of control. I laugh every time I see a Galaxy Note or that huge LG phone (I forget the name) up to someone's ear. It just looks silly to me. To each their own though. Personally, I prefer to stick to the 4.3"-4.5" range.

Another thing to consider is people with small hands. My wife has an 8x and she likes it a lot, but every now and then she tells me that she wishes it were smaller. She used to have an HTC Radar, and that was perfect for her.

You must be referring to the LG Intuition. Yeah, it's a biggun. It's interesting that HTC had the wherewithal to not put an earpiece on the Athena when it was released for that very reason. May as well carry boom boxes like back in the 80's.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I was back in the day very much against 4" screens, but not anymore really. I'm fine with Lumia 920 screen size and that screen should be quite easily grown to 4.7" without increasing the size of the phone. In general making the phone more compact should help a lot.

Zune HD was nice (had one back in the day), but you would need to sacrifice a lot. I doubt its even humanly possible to put modern, LTE capable SoC inside that phone, let alone put a battery that can handle constant connection (even worse if you want it to be LTE capable). Zune HD had 700mAh battery...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea