Where did the continuity go Nokia?

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why this is annoying me, maybe its that i just jumped on a 2 year contract for ?30 a month for a Nokia 925, but how come the 625 gets a huge increase in phone size, the rumored 825 is getting gdr3, 5" screen and a quad core cpu, now this would make the 825 a more features packed smartphone than the 925, which lost built-in wireless charging and the same cpu and ram as the original 920.

I just feel a little bit cheated, as i imagined the 925 was going to be top dog for a long time, not 3 months :(

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why this is annoying me, maybe its that i just jumped on a 2 year contract for ?30 a month for a Nokia 925, but how come the 625 gets a huge increase in phone size, the rumored 825 is getting gdr3, 5" screen and a quad core cpu, now this would make the 825 a more features packed smartphone than the 925, which lost built-in wireless charging and the same cpu and ram as the original 920.

I just feel a little bit cheated, as i imagined the 925 was going to be top dog for a long time, not 3 months :(

New models come out. There's really not much more to say. I think most of us expected a phablet and quad core before this year was up, so I see no reason to feel cheated.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's simply how they work. Put it this way:

925: Gen 2.5 refresh of the Lumia 920. NOT a Lumia 920 successor.

825: Gen 3 refresh of the Lumia 820. Successor of the Lumia 820, and as such, must be better.

Though, I've made no sense out of Nokia's schemes lately.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
There were rumors since the start of this year about 1080p and quad core Windows Phones. Not that everybody should and will follow tech news, but they were out there. WP was in a need of a spec up and it's soon exactly a year since the last big spec update by WP8. It's the same on Android.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You are just assuming the new phone will be the 825. There is no evidence to suggest that is its official number. Its more than likely to be something like 930 or 1100 for the 6" and the tablet being 1120.

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm just ranting, not saying im owed anything by Nokia, just i feel that the numbers for models should increment better. With Nokia releasing a new handset every other month, we're going to be flooded with too many options, and too long a contract to be tied in to.

I'm glad i got my 925, its the top of the range wp8 phone out now, par a 925 with a massive camera (which i don't need, but want!!! Plus its in yellow) personally i think a 5", 2gb ram, quad core cpu and 1080p screen handset should be a Lumia 930, as its pretty high spec for WP's now, unless it doesn't come with wireless charging built in and a lower spec camera, i can imagine it being 825/30, as long as the 930 is the same but with better camera and the built in wireless charging.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm just ranting, not saying im owed anything by Nokia, just i feel that the numbers for models should increment better. With Nokia releasing a new handset every other month, we're going to be flooded with too many options, and too long a contract to be tied in to.

Please stop it, Nokia! You must slow down your innovation. You are giving us far too many options! Oh, the horror...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

I'm glad i got my 925, its the top of the range wp8 phone out now, par a 925 with a massive camera (which i don't need, but want!!! Plus its in yellow) personally i think a 5", 2gb ram, quad core cpu and 1080p screen handset should be a Lumia 930, as its pretty high spec for WP's now, unless it doesn't come with wireless charging built in and a lower spec camera, i can imagine it being 825/30, as long as the 930 is the same but with better camera and the built in wireless charging.

I sort of agree with you. I have the 928 through Verizon; great phone. Where it fit's into the numbering scheme, I don't know and really don't care much.

I think the most important fact to me through the multitude of models and capabilities: The all run exactly the same version of the OS. Look at the Android market and I don't think you can say that.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what Nokia does and has always done. It's essentially what Samsung is doing now, but not quite in the silly scale Nokia did it in 2002-2007. I mean the current Lumia and Asha approach is pretty damn tame compared to how it used to be. No doubt because of less resources available for them. This was when they sold +440 million devices a year and over 35 different models released in a year.

Vertu (for your typical oil baron or oligarch ready to pay anything between 7000-60 000 euros for a device)
Communicators (huge qwerty phones that had all the tech Nokia could fit into that shell)
N series (high end multimedia devices)
E Series (high end business models, usually metal build and qwerty)
8xxx (luxury phone with emphasis to materials, priced at around 1000 euros)
7xxx (weird niche fashion phones, like Nokia 7280 "lipstick" phone)
6xxx (cheaper than the above)
5xxx (usually music focused XpressMusic devices)
4xxx (cheap devices)
3xxx (cheaper)
2xxx (even cheaper)
1xxx (super cheap ~15 dollar devices)

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Please stop it, Nokia! You must slow down your innovation. You are giving us far too many options! Oh, the horror...

Ok, ok i get it, but surely the numbering of models should represent the features, spec and scale if the phones, like the above mentioned. The 1020 should be top of the current range, followed by the 920.

I understand the refreshes of the 925, but i don't think the proposed rumoured 6" 825 fits in with the numbering, a potential new customer of wp8 would expect the 925 to be a better spec-packed phone than the 825....wouldn't they?

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought that it was generally expected by everyone that the 925 was just a 920 refresh and that by the end of the year we were going to start seeing new models with higher specs. I usually try to be careful with these things and try to buy the models which I expect that are going to be Nokia's flagship for a longer period. I want to buy one of the new models with GDR3 preloaded by the end of this year but I will probably delay that purchase because I'm afraid WP8.1 will bring new features that 2013 hardware will not be compatible with (even GDR3 preloaded models). Summarily, you are never going to have a flagship phone for a long time, max is about 6 months and that's if you are very carefull with the models you decide to buy and that means paying attention to every rumours you can find.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, ok i get it, but surely the numbering of models should represent the features, spec and scale if the phones, like the above mentioned. The 1020 should be top of the current range, followed by the 920.

I understand the refreshes of the 925, but i don't think the proposed rumoured 6" 825 fits in with the numbering, a potential new customer of wp8 would expect the 925 to be a better spec-packed phone than the 825....wouldn't they?

Most people agree that Nokia's Lumia model numbering scheme isn't one. We don't have much choice but to stop trying to make sense of it and accept that it is just arbitrary enough to be rather useless. It's been mentioned a few times, for example here.

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I suppose unless you was one of the first people to jump and get a 920/820 on contract, you will be due an upgrade which you would probably look at bypassing the gdr2 models like the 925/825 and get on the first 930/830 equivalent models.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

You really didn't think this through, the 925 is really just a 920 and the 920 is like 8 months old now so it was pretty obvious that the 925 was not meant to be the new amazing flagship... It's really just a reskinned 8 month old phone.... DON'T GET ME WRONG! I love my 920 and we will get many more updates but this was to be expected

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Be happy they are pushing so many models out to meet the demands of a varied market.

I think Microsoft and Nokia are doing a great job pushing a mix of premium devices (925) and budget devices (625). Trust me, the bigger screen on the 625 is cheap compared to the 925. And the metal frame on the 925 looks really nice.

The way forward is definitely not to buy a contract, and wait a couple of months after a phone comes out to buy it, unless it's worth the extra few $ to you to get it on day one :)

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
My only issue is with the exclusives. There will always be newer, better phones releasing 6-12 months later, which is always far less than the available contract lengths. It's been like that for years now. Recognize that you'll only have the latest and greatest for a short time and deal with it.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My only issue is with the exclusives. There will always be newer, better phones releasing 6-12 months later, which is always far less than the available contract lengths. It's been like that for years now. Recognize that you'll only have the latest and greatest for a short time and deal with it.

Don't buy on contract if you want to switch phones every year...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss