I was due for an upgrade in August 2013, wait or 925/1020?

kyeo138

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Subject pretty much says it all. I have an HTC Titan (running WP7.5) and was due for an upgrade in August. I was waiting for a new flagship to be announced, but haven't heard anything yet.. Is the Nokia 6" the only thing on the horizon at this point?

I'd really like a snapdragon WP, but not sure i'd want 6" in my pants (heyoooo). Anyway, I already have a 7" kindle, when is a new 4-5" phone coming out? Right now it seems my only choices are the 925/1020 on ATT.

Thanks!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat and decided to do the 925. From what I could research, the next devices coming out are massive, and much like you, I don't have room in my pockets for another 6+ inch device...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd really like a snapdragon WP, but not sure i'd want 6" in my pants (heyoooo). Anyway, I already have a 7" kindle, when is a new 4-5" phone coming out? Right now it seems my only choices are the 925/1020 on ATT.

Every single WP device ships with a Snapdragon SoC. However, the upcoming models allegedly ship with an 800 series Snapdragon SoC, whereas current generation devices ship with a 200 series Snapdragon SoC (previously went by the name S4). While the 800 is quite a lot more powerful (primarily the integrated GPU), you won't see a lot of difference in actual day to day usage. Games are the theoretical exception, but it's hard to say if WP will get any games that exploit that improved SoC anytime soon... probably WP won't.

I would say if you are passionate about high-end gaming (console and PC type games on your smartphone), then wait for an 800 based model (just in case). If not, then you really don't need to worry about the SoC. If the L925 is more to your liking size-wise, then that would be a fine choice.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
If you aren't in dire need of a new device and feel you can hold out until Jan/Feb 2014 then wait for the new stuff that should start dropping with WP8.1, otherwise pick whatever you feel is the best fit for you now (925/1020, etc) and go for it. They will get 8.1 as well, but eventually will be a gen behind in specs and possibly screen resolution. That being said, if you aren't the type that has to have the latest and greatest all the time, the 925/1020 devices should have a great lifespan as they are powerful enough for most anything anyway.

kyeo138

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to wait til Jan/Feb 2014 and grab a 925 for $.01 or whatever the price drop will be then. I know they just discounted the 920's to a penny. Both my wife and I have had droid & ios phones, and we both STRONGLY prefer WP. She has an ATIV that's due as well and she's clamoring for an upgrade. I'll see if she can hold off.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The news of the 1350 is intriguing, maybe that's worth a look coming up soon too! Glad you're coming to WP, it really is an awesome productive tool!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to wait til Jan/Feb 2014 and grab a 925 for $.01 or whatever the price drop will be then. I know they just discounted the 920's to a penny. Both my wife and I have had droid & ios phones, and we both STRONGLY prefer WP. She has an ATIV that's due as well and she's clamoring for an upgrade. I'll see if she can hold off.

Keep an eye out at Amazon on Black Friday weekend. I picked up my Titan for $0.01 back then. These 9XX series phones could easily be on those kinda of sales as the newer ones will be coming soon.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm very sure there will be more 4.5" phones announced at event...even for ones coming beginning 2014 for WP8.1. Personally, I would wait if I were you. I outright sold my GS3 to get a Lumia 920 and only paid small amount.

Don't renew your contract yet, get a 520 to old off to get used to WP8 and wait 2 months for a potential new evolution ...or get 1020 with renew.

My 2 cents

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett