Expected release date for the Surface Phone

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it is more dependent upon the official finalization of the sale of Nokia devices to Microsoft.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Laura, could be Nokia (or Microsoft) World 2014, I was hoping for Mobile World Congress 2014 but that would be too early...

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
If we do get a Surface phone, which I hope we will one day, I think it will arrive much later than the release of WP8.1. I'll estimate this time next year at the earliest, probably sometime in 2015 though. I just think many of Nokia's phones will be released first and new one's will have already been designed by now for the release of WP8.1. I can see it happening with WP8.2 in Spring 2015 though. I think they'll wait for a big software update like 8.2, for when they release a Surface phone. I'd love to see one earlier than this, but I think they have too much going on with the Nokia takeover and their plans which are already in motion.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I think it rolls out with Surface 3 around Christmas time next year. By then the Nokia Microsoft deal will be complete and the combined company will want to push hard to get Microsoft branded Phones and Tablets on shelves. I think we will see a redesigned Surface with a highbred Lumia 2520 screen on a More Surface looking tablet. I think we will also see a more functional Surface Phone with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse support on a 5.5-6 inch surface phone. These devices might even have pen functionality. When you get to combining companies like this I think before the merger both company's hold some things back for after the merge. I know Microsoft and Nokia have technologies under hat that will be reveled after the merger. The moving variable will be how quickly the two companies can merge their tech. This is why I am skipping the Surface 2. I will be waiting for Surface 3.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Dave. Although there's nothing to prevent Microsoft themselves from making a Surface phone (they're more than skilled enough at design and manufacturing), it would make sense for Microkia (to coin a phrase) to create it.

What it will actually be on the inside largely depends on how Windows and Windows Phone operating systems will continue to converge. I'm willing to speculate that the Surface Phone will be a Surface Mini, but with phone bits - a beefed up and reimagined Nokia 1520.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
We know that Nokia has 2 phones planned for release with WP8.1 (April time). I think they will still be branded as Nokia then.

I think once Nokia becomes part of Microsoft, we will still see a big range of colourful Lumia branded phones, but then I think Microsoft will also release a single Surface phone, which is more in line with their surface tablet designs. Since they will already be producing first party phones, there is no reason not to produce more. I think the Surface Phone will be released in October 2014, along with Surface 3. And it will be a phone that is updated yearly, like the iphone or nexus.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it rolls out with Surface 3 around Christmas time next year. By then the Nokia Microsoft deal will be complete and the combined company will want to push hard to get Microsoft branded Phones and Tablets on shelves. I think we will see a redesigned Surface with a highbred Lumia 2520 screen on a More Surface looking tablet. I think we will also see a more functional Surface Phone with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse support on a 5.5-6 inch surface phone. These devices might even have pen functionality. When you get to combining companies like this I think before the merger both company's hold some things back for after the merge. I know Microsoft and Nokia have technologies under hat that will be reveled after the merger. The moving variable will be how quickly the two companies can merge their tech. This is why I am skipping the Surface 2. I will be waiting for Surface 3.

Maybe when the Surface Mini is announced?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720