besides cortana, what killer feature we need to become number 1?

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
wp is fast, pretty, builds quality phones...but what main features do we need to get, to be more popular than Samsung and apple ? lets think what many people wants: a replaceable battery that lasts more than the razr maxx? imagine that! or that from any computer we should be able to see everything that is in your phone and viceversa? that means if you ever forget your phone or you lose it or gets stolen , you have ALL your info in the computer the exact same way you have it in your phone . another thing: we should be able to interact with our car and the lights and ac from the house and office straight from the phone without apps .what do you think?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
lets think what many people wants: a replaceable battery that lasts more than the razr maxx?

Long life batteries on a smartphone are tricky. The balance between battery size and design is not an easy one. As for replaceable, by a phone that has a replaceable shell and you can change the battery all you want. Not easily, but it can be done.

Or that from any computer we should be able to see everything that is in your phone and viceversa? that means if you ever forget your phone or you lose it or gets stolen , you have ALL your info in the computer the exact same way you have it in your phone

It's called backup. Also, we'll never have full access to WP. It's not necessary. Wont' happen.

We should be able to interact with our car and the lights and ac from the house and office straight from the phone without apps .what do you think?

That's a bit niche and it requires a person's house to be setup for it in the first place, not everyone has a smart home and there's different systems, so an app is required. As for cars, same thing.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The only reason why the razor maxx sold many devices is because of the battery. I'm not talking about back up. I'm talking about the computer mirrors the phone. Just like iPhone and galaxy phones

Sangeeth Sudheer

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
For me, there are many. One main thing matters with the whole Windows brand. It was a tough road for WPs and its amazing to see them still rising from the ashes (of Windows Mobiles) even today in between tough OS battles. But there is something Windows represents. The fact of people. PCs were crazy those days and it was mainly possible thanks to Windows. I know there's piracy and stuff but all of that was Windows and just Windows.

Today, when I tell someone about Windows Phones, they definitely get excited (except for creepy anti-WP fans who know about WP) because its Windows. But they trust that the phones can do nearly everything the PC could do. But we all know that that's not true, sadly.

What I would want would be for MS to take an ambitious step. I know they are already onto integrating Windows into WPs but that motive is not exactly what we think and its a slow process. What I would want is for MS to take the leap of faith and bring Windows to Windows Phones. It could be possible as we are at the micro and nano age. Anything's possible. If people could use their WPs as normal WPs and as Windows PCs, it'd make the Windows platform unbeatable. For that, they need to ditch everything and start from scratch.

I know its crazy and I know it won't happen in 2014 but image that. Its better to say this than to tell individual points like "we want Windows 8.1 like customization", or "we want multiple home screens" or even "we want more functions like the ones in android" and even "we want it be customizable till its core". If this happens, I can most proudly recommend WPs to anyone without having to hear an Android or iOS comment back.

MS can do this. I really dream for that day.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
isn't that what is happening now? the big next thing is that they are merging windows rt and wp . we wont have all the desktop apps, but the rest its supposed to be there.no? ,plus, with cortana,(and I hope huge battery life),we'll make it to the top.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If you're seriously talking about what it takes to be #1, then I don't think there is any one "killer feature". Any one feature, no matter how great, is overwhelmed by ecosystem, OS and hardware considerations. To pass iOS and close the gap on Android, I think MS needs to focus strategically on a three big things:
  1. Expanded and improved interoperability across MS products
  2. Continued refinement of a WP approach that is a hybrid of the iOS and Android approaches
  3. Increased marketing and promotional dollars behind the system to overcome carrier exclusives

If they can achieve real interoperability across Windows Phone, RT, 8, SkyDrive, Xbox devices and Xbox services, Office, etc. then the whole ecosystem becomes incredibly appealing to hundreds of millions of users. I'm not talking about your phone running x86 programs, but just having enough architectural overlap so devs are essentially able to write once, publish everywhere. Phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, TV's basically function just as screens, as windows that provide unencumbered access to and use of all your stuff. We see this in bits and pieces now, but there are just way too many gaps and limitations. Though this is obviously MS' vision, they have yet to demonstrate that they can really nail this the way Apple did with Apple TV, or Google does with Google Now or Chrome.

In regards to the phone experience, I think they need to split the difference between Android and iOS. They already have a For the people above who suggested just running Windows on a phone, I say you're crazy. They tried that with Windows Mobile- and while a lot of people liked it, most folks simply do not want to manage a full-blown Windows OS. They want "devices"- secure, fast, easy to operate and maintain. I think MS would be wise to open things up a bit to allow a little more customization and to give 3rd party apps greater access to core features and to each other. But recreating Android or full Windows is not the path to mass appeal.

Lastly, the crazy proliferation of Nokia devices this past year was amazing to see, but ultimately a drawback. Make 4 or 5 devices max, and put everything behind them. Unless or until MS somehow gets a huge hit, the only way to overcome the issue is by putting a lot of money in front of carriers. The upfront costs would be significant, but consolidation is the only way to maximize efficiencies on design, assembly and marketing (and the surest way to build an ecosystem of accessories that helps attract buyers and propel the platform). On the production side it is much easier to match output to demand; and you can improve processes more quickly to make assembly less expensive and to identify and fix issues. You reduce consumer confusion and angst (should I get the 920, 925 or 928? What if I try to get an unlocked version from another provider?? Does it support the right bands, will it work on this network, will it get LTE or 4G or HSPA+??? ). You let your marketing work against every potential buyer instead of just the ones on a particular carrier.

These are not quick fixes, or killer features- but no fix or feature will propel WP into first place.

Last edited:

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything that you said except the last part. One of the reasons Android got ahead of Apple is because of big variety of devices. You can get small, medium, big, or x large. Very cheap or ultra quality, etc

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Give me uploading doc files capability in internet explorer and I will be more than happy. This is standard in android chrome.

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything that you said except the last part. One of the reasons Android got ahead of Apple is because of big variety of devices. You can get small, medium, big, or x large. Very cheap or ultra quality, etc
This is exactly right. While WP has very good prices for their devices, Android is available on more device for a variety of costs.WP is going in the right direction as far quality of devices and variety, they just need to fix a lot "quirks" they have missing and WP will definitely be able to push forward. I really hope 8.1 is going in the right direction.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd like something that works similar to a cloned SIM card, but with more security. Maybe some sort of forwarding card. Basically, I want to be able to have a watch or headset that can take calls and texts. This would allow me to go running or something for long periods of time, but still be able to be contacted without me having to lug around a big smartphone.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Fair enough; a variety of options (especially models with keyboards, or smaller footprints comparable to existing high-end feature phones) certainly helped Android- though I would probably argue that what really helped Android gain traction was the widespread availability of low-cost devices that were "good enough". Will having more manufacturers offer more options be good for WP8? To some extent, sure- but you also risk the "fragmentation" problem. But my point was really about Nokia/MS, not the platform as a whole. It simply doesn't make sense for Nokia/MS to try to manufacture and market 10+ models. They should absolutely target three or four price points, but they can't continue to dribble out five or six series with different variants, gradually rolling out to this market and that market. Focus your ideas, your talent, your resources against just a few devices and make them great. These little blips get noticed here on WPC, but does anyone in the real world know about the 625 or the 1320, or the difference between the 925 and 928? This platform needs a break-out hit (other than the 520/521) that captures the public's attention, and that needs to come from Nokia/MS; WP8 is an afterthought for every other manufacturer.

Focus all resources against a new flagship 9xx and a killer mid-tier 7xx. Ramp up manufacturing and put the full weight of MS sales teams (and dollars) against carriers to line up distribution. Have a big launch alongside WP8.1 in the spring, announcing pricing and availability. Then double down on marketing and get these two devices into as many markets and as many carriers as quickly as possible after launch. That should soak up two distinct price point consumers. Then in the fall announce a new 8xx device (using best practices learned from the 9xx and 7xx manufacturing) to target the mushy middle in time for the holidays. Alongside the 8xx, announce a refreshed all-carrier 525 or 6xx to pull in the holiday value buyers in the $100 range. Again, target two fairly distinct price points here and then push them out to carriers as widely and quickly as possible. MS simply needs to focus, and then go all-in this year. If they can make a dent in 2014, you will see lots more hardware options at MWC in 2015.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
If you're seriously talking about what it takes to be #1, then I don't think there is any one "killer feature". Any one feature, no matter how great, is overwhelmed by ecosystem, OS and hardware considerations. To pass iOS and close the gap on Android, I think MS needs to focus strategically on a three big things:
  1. Expanded and improved interoperability across MS products
  2. Continued refinement of a WP approach that is a hybrid of the iOS and Android approaches
  3. Increased marketing and promotional dollars behind the system to overcome carrier exclusives

If they can achieve real interoperability across Windows Phone, RT, 8, SkyDrive, Xbox devices and Xbox services, Office, etc. then the whole ecosystem becomes incredibly appealing to hundreds of millions of users. I'm not talking about your phone running x86 programs, but just having enough architectural overlap so devs are essentially able to write once, publish everywhere. Phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, TV's basically function just as screens, as windows that provide unencumbered access to and use of all your stuff. We see this in bits and pieces now, but there are just way too many gaps and limitations. Though this is obviously MS' vision, they have yet to demonstrate that they can really nail this the way Apple did with Apple TV, or Google does with Google Now or Chrome.

In regards to the phone experience, I think they need to split the difference between Android and iOS. They already have a For the people above who suggested just running Windows on a phone, I say you're crazy. They tried that with Windows Mobile- and while a lot of people liked it, most folks simply do not want to manage a full-blown Windows OS. They want "devices"- secure, fast, easy to operate and maintain. I think MS would be wise to open things up a bit to allow a little more customization and to give 3rd party apps greater access to core features and to each other. But recreating Android or full Windows is not the path to mass appeal.

Lastly, the crazy proliferation of Nokia devices this past year was amazing to see, but ultimately a drawback. Make 4 or 5 devices max, and put everything behind them. Unless or until MS somehow gets a huge hit, the only way to overcome the issue is by putting a lot of money in front of carriers. The upfront costs would be significant, but consolidation is the only way to maximize efficiencies on design, assembly and marketing (and the surest way to build an ecosystem of accessories that helps attract buyers and propel the platform). On the production side it is much easier to match output to demand; and you can improve processes more quickly to make assembly less expensive and to identify and fix issues. You reduce consumer confusion and angst (should I get the 920, 925 or 928? What if I try to get an unlocked version from another provider?? Does it support the right bands, will it work on this network, will it get LTE or 4G or HSPA+??? ). You let your marketing work against every potential buyer instead of just the ones on a particular carrier.

These are not quick fixes, or killer features- but no fix or feature will propel WP into first place.

Now I'm not a smart man so I did not understand what you were really saying but because I did not understand what you were saying I will say that it sounded important and strategic enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea