Sony confirms Windows Phone smartphone for 2014.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah,even more WP brands=More phones to choose from,personally i will stick with nokia but i think many other ppl would like to buy a sony WP8...

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Me too sticking with Nokia, but more options will be welcomed by many WP fans.
Yeah, except there won?t be Nokia anymore :D. We will see what MS can do on it?s own but if it is not going to give me reason to buy their phone I would be interested in Sony more than in Samsung and HTC.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
This is great news!!! I love Sony's hardware design, and they are the only OEM who can rival Nokia in the photography department.

This is great for markets such as Canada where carriers such as Bell do not support Nokia. I would expect to see Sony WP on Bell along with the other Sony devices.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay here is some truths:

My son owned a Sony Xperia Play, and the call quality was one of the most amazingly clear sounding devices I have ever used. Just great.

He also owned the Xperia TL. Again- great call quality. But the phone itself was a gem- smooth running (for an Android with only okay specs), we had great support, and the hardware of it was solid and durable.

Sony would be right next to Motorola if I had to buy an android. Throw WP on it and lets see what they offer as far as software extras, and I am excited.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Love the Sony branded stuff.
Problem is I'm sure the price of their phone will be just under a million dollars.

Sony stuff typically doesn't price very well IMO :cry:

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong guys, i love sony products and i have a PS3 and love it. However, in the smartphone industry, they are not so great. I sold my xperia ZL because of the poor quality on the speakers when i use it for calls. Not wonder why they are in four or fifth place in the world. I was also having issues with mms. I am currently using a Nokia 1520 and no issues of anything at all. Just missed google+ app.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong guys, i love sony products and i have a PS3 and love it. However, in the smartphone industry, they are not so great. I sold my xperia ZL because of the poor quality on the speakers when i use it for calls. Not wonder why they are in four or fifth place in the world. I was also having issues with mms. I am currently using a Nokia 1520 and no issues of anything at all. Just missed google+ app.

Look at GSMArena's site, and the phones with the highest user ratings are the Sony Xperia Z and Z1, so I can't say that Sony phones aren't that great. My GF has a Sony Xperia V which I gave her since September and it still runs fast.

I think Sony can make it to the second highest selling WP (top is Nokia) if they can at least nearly match Nokia's camera, camera software and price, as well as adding waterproof quality to their devices.

On a second note, wouldn't it be detrimental to Microsoft if they come into agreement with this? Sony WP would have XBL and Playstation Mobile on the same smartphone! I heard that some people buy WP only for the sake of XBL.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
On a second note, wouldn't it be detrimental to Microsoft if they come into agreement with this? Sony WP would have XBL and Playstation Mobile on the same smartphone! I heard that some people buy WP only for the sake of XBL.

I would love to see a better quality Sony Phone with Playstation Network integrated. I wonder if Sony will allow the Xbox brand in there or they will customize the OS so only their own Playstation tools and softwares are allowed.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see a better quality Sony Phone with Playstation Network integrated. I wonder if Sony will allow the Xbox brand in there or they will customize the OS so only their own Playstation tools and softwares are allowed.

um.... Why wouldn't they allow it? Lol they didn't change Windows 8 with their Vaio laptop line, why would they change it for their Vaio phone line?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
um.... Why wouldn't they allow it? Lol they didn't change Windows 8 with their Vaio laptop line, why would they change it for their Vaio phone line?

Because they have the playstation mobile apps and it will conflict with anything that says Xbox music or xbox store... I think that's one of the reason Sony have meetings with Microsoft to point out their plan of Windows Phone in their devices.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well with the sorry state Xbox live is on WP I'd be surprised if they cared enough for it to be an issue with Sony making a WP.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Because they have the playstation mobile apps and it will conflict with anything that says Xbox music or xbox store... I think that's one of the reason Sony have meetings with Microsoft to point out their plan of Windows Phone in their devices.

so they shouldn't launch Playstation Now because Xbox music is already on Android? That's ridiculous, if anything, they would want to be where Xbox is too so they could compete side by side.

Plus, you still avoided my question and didn't explain why they make Vaio tablets if they're going to launch these mobile apps because Windows 8 is pretty mobile.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Makes me wonder what brand they'll put it under... Either way. I am excited about this development. Sony is very much a high profile brand, and to see them jump into the market is quite nice. Hopefully it won't be the half *** floundering of Samsung.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
so they shouldn't launch Playstation Now because Xbox music is already on Android? That's ridiculous, if anything, they would want to be where Xbox is too so they could compete side by side.

Plus, you still avoided my question and didn't explain why they make Vaio tablets if they're going to launch these mobile apps because Windows 8 is pretty mobile.
well i used before my nokia 1520, a sony xperia zl and they have apps that target Sony services which are music unlimited, video unlimited and other apps. These apps obviously can't exist with the xbox apps for windows phone. I mean, it does not make sense to co-exist together from a business point of view, unless Sony don't care and bring their services to the platform with the xbox apps which i doubt. i never use a Vaio PC so i can't say anything about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs