Nokia Lumia 1820 with a 5.2in 2K display, 3GB of RAM and Lytro-like camera could be on the way

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I believe Microsoft said they will be releasing phones in the Nokia name since it is a known name but this is sourceless i read it somewhere i am not sure

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I believe Microsoft said they will be releasing phones in the Nokia name since it is a known name but this is sourceless i read it somewhere i am not sure

They could only release phones with Nokia's name on the Asha series feature phones. Part of the liscencing deal. But I expect any interest in the Asha series by MS to be extremely short lived when compared to the L52X series success.

I actually am still cheering for "Lumia" to be the brand name of MS produced smartphones instead of releasing them under the "Microsoft" name. That would be a good way to keep a link to the Nokia name.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That "1820" 5.2" display would be perfect for me. Any other top end goodies would be bonus.

I, by the way, will not believe this gossip until a few more leaks come out. This just seems to be one of those "pie in the sky" leaks.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the phone that takes noticeably better pictures than the 1020 in a body like the 1520. Curious to how this Lytro will perform.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm waiting for the phone that takes noticeably better pictures than the 1020 in a body like the 1520. Curious to how this Lytro will perform.
You do understand what a Lytro camera is, right? All it does it allow you to re-focus, but with hardware. Nokia already has this with its re-focus app.

Multi-lens hardware is not ready for market and Pelican just makes the software (Nokia doesn't own them, merely invested in it).

Also, any phone that was ready to reveal at MWC would have most likely been leaked by now. Have we seen any renders from evleaks? Any photos of the device? Any real evidence presented for a device ready to be revealed in 6 weeks?

I think if anything is shown at MWC (and I'm not sure there will be), it will be like last year: 520 and 720. Those were interesting devices, but far from flagship.

New flagship due in June, will be first hardware to launch 8.1. That's the next big thing, not this, imo.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I see Daniel's on a mission to clean up the slop that's circulating these boards 😁. An array camera won't necessarily take better pictures, it just gives a new capability, depth mapping. From this, you can refocus. The more advanced implementation of the software slows you to do measurements and 3D renderings. No way it will be commercialized this year, but it is fun to imagine.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You do understand what a Lytro camera is, right? All it does it allow you to re-focus, but with hardware. Nokia already has this with its re-focus app.

Multi-lens hardware is not ready for market and Pelican just makes the software (Nokia doesn't own them, merely invested in it).

Also, any phone that was ready to reveal at MWC would have most likely been leaked by now. Have we seen any renders from evleaks? Any photos of the device? Any real evidence presented for a device ready to be revealed in 6 weeks?

I think if anything is shown at MWC (and I'm not sure there will be), it will be like last year: 520 and 720. Those were interesting devices, but far from flagship.

New flagship due in June, will be first hardware to launch 8.1. That's the next big thing, not this, imo.

Dan, you come off a little defensive. I do have limited understanding of what a Lytro camera is. I never expected it to be better than a 1020. But merely asked what can be excepted of it.

I do agree with you the June might be the earliest 8.1 devices. April OS reveal...June hardware. Trying to hold out for a 1020 revision. I have a feeling it won't exist...wonder if we've seen the best innovation to come in regards to hardware last year. I'll keep watching I guess :p

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Dan, you come off a little defensive. I do have limited understanding of what a Lytro camera is. I never expected it to be better than a 1020. But merely asked what can be excepted of it.
Not defensive, I just want people to not get wrapped up in tech mumbo jumbo. Sorry if it came off that way.

When I saw those specs, I laughed really hard. It's like a 12 year old ****** "dream phone", without any rhyme or reason. 3GB of RAM! Sure, why not!? Some new SoC that isn't slated until later this year, at the earliest...hell yeah! Lytro camera, because...hey, that's a new word!

Not picking on you, as I don't expect everyone to be well versed in the buzz words of the day, but I do wish people exercised some caution when posting specs of devices from literally random people on the internet (that Twitter account has 0 reputation).

Even people like Nawzil no jack about anything. He just finds things on the 'net, reposts it and it seems to come from him. His level of inside knowledge is pretty low (he didn't know about Instagram's release date at all) or he words it so vaguely that it means nothing e.g. "Lumia 630 and Lumia 635 may not have the Nokia brand", which is so obvious (and non-committal with the "may") that it's passed off as "news". I mean, we all know Microsoft bought Nokia's hardware division, right? And that the deal is almost done ergo Nokia's name on phones is going bye-bye. Or when he talks about Cortana and a file manager "They are great. Cortana is my favorite thing in Windows Phone 8.1" even though he doesn't have 8.1 (which is why he can't post screenshots). Just look at how he words things:
wordy.JPG

Gee, I dunno, maybe because he says things like he's running 8.1. Instead of just answering yes/no, he turns it back on you. Just another person trying to be part of the in-crowd, imo.

/rant

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Not defensive, I just want people to not get wrapped up in tech mumbo jumbo. Sorry if it came off that way.

When I saw those specs, I laughed really hard. It's like a 12 year old ****** "dream phone", without any rhyme or reason. 3GB of RAM! Sure, why not!? Some new SoC that isn't slated until later this year, at the earliest...hell yeah! Lytro camera, because...hey, that's a new word!

Not picking on you, as I don't expect everyone to be well versed in the buzz words of the day, but I do wish people exercised some caution when posting specs of devices from literally random people on the internet (that Twitter account has 0 reputation).

Even people like Nawzil no jack about anything. He just finds things on the 'net, reposts it and it seems to come from him. His level of inside knowledge is pretty low (he didn't know about Instagram's release date at all) or he words it so vaguely that it means nothing e.g. "Lumia 630 and Lumia 635 may not have the Nokia brand", which is so obvious (and non-committal with the "may") that's it passed off as news. I mean, we all know Microsoft bought Nokia's hardware division, right? And that the deal is almost done.

/rant

It is my dream phone! A smaller 1520 (like the 929), but more powerful. I like the new S805 chips, can't wait for them to pop into new devices! And I would love that 20MP camera (improved, of course) that the 1520 has.

Of course if Microsoft makes a so-called Surface/XBOX phone with the new Snapdragon's, and 2GB or 3GB of RAM, excellent camera, 5 inch 1080p screen, etc, I would get that. :wink:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
There will be no Surface phone.

Why the focus on more RAM? It does nothing for performance past 1 GB and is only meant for task-specific functions like the advanced PureView hardware. I just find it funny because (a) more RAM uses more battery and (b) it raises the cost of the device yet no one can give a good reason why to have it The rationale appears to be "3 is more than 2 so it must better".

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Why the focus on more RAM? It does nothing for performance past 1 GB and is only meant for task-specific functions like the advanced PureView hardware. I just find it funny because (a) more RAM uses more battery and (b) it raises the cost of the device yet no one can give a good reason why to have it The rationale appears to be "3 is more than 2 so it must better".

We thought 1080p is useless, now look. We keep saying "we don't need it", when in fact, when we get it, we praise it.

And it might not be called "Surface phone", but Microsoft has to release a windows phone, after this deal with Nokia goes through.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
We thought 1080p is useless, now look. We keep saying "we don't need it", when in fact, when we get it, we praise it.

And it might not be called "Surface phone", but Microsoft has to release a windows phone, after this deal with Nokia goes through.
Ummm...a 1080P display is not the same as 3 GB of RAM. I can point to a 1080P and go "this has a higher PPI and when stretched out on a 6 inch display, looks sharper than 720P" Sure there was debate about if you really needed it, but you could at least see a tangible result from the upgrade.

I asked what advantage 3 GB of RAM has over 2 GB of RAM. It's sort of rhetorical, because I don't think there are any. It won't run faster. You can't run more apps "in the background". I suppose you can say "That 1 GB is used for the new built in solar charging" but I'd probably hit you in the head with a tack hammer.

Just saying, upping specs for the sake of upping specs is not how technology works (or should work). So if you're going to say "3 GB of RAM" there should be a reason why you want it besides "well, 3 GB is more than 2 GB, so...better?".

What was called a "Surface phone" is very different from what Nokia has on their roadmap. Microsoft releasing their own hardware is a given, but it's not going to be called 'Surface'. Instead, it will be from Nokia's 18 month roadmap with some modifications. So equating "Surface Phone" with "Microsoft Lumia" may be correct on some semantic level, but it's not what we really mean. A "Surface phone" was through and through designed and built by MS. Microsoft buying Nokia and using their hardware design/team is hardly the same.

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

correct me if I'm wrong Daniel, but I thought that having more RAM meant that you can run more apps in the multitasking menu. My friend has a 520 and I have a 1520 and I thought that since I had more RAM then I could run more apps at the same time. It may be another limitation in the 520 such as the processor, but it seems that he can only keep about 4 frames open at once.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
correct me if I'm wrong Daniel, but I thought that having more RAM meant that you can run more apps in the multitasking menu. My friend has a 520 and I have a 1520 and I thought that since I had more RAM then I could run more apps at the same time. It may be another limitation in the 520 such as the processor, but it seems that he can only keep about 4 frames open at once.
Imma correct you ;P

On my Lumia 520 (512 MB of RAM), I can have 7 apps in the multi-tasking windows ("card view"). It doesn't get any better on the Lumia 1520 or 1020 with their 2 GB of RAM. That's a limitation in the OS right now.

In theory, I suppose it could be extended, like the endless version in the iPhone. But so far, Microsoft has not used RAM in such a manner for that purpose. So at least on the current paradigm, having 3 GB of RAM would not improve that situation.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Ummm...a 1080P display is not the same as 3 GB of RAM. I can point to a 1080P and go "this has a higher PPI and when stretched out on a 6 inch display, looks sharper than 720P" Sure there was debate about if you really needed it, but you could at least see a tangible result from the upgrade.

I asked what advantage 3 GB of RAM has over 2 GB of RAM. It's sort of rhetorical, because I don't think there are any. It won't run faster. You can't run more apps "in the background". I suppose you can say "That 1 GB is used for the new built in solar charging" but I'd probably hit you in the head with a tack hammer.

Just saying, upping specs for the sake of upping specs is not how technology works (or should work). So if you're going to say "3 GB of RAM" there should be a reason why you want it besides "well, 3 GB is more than 2 GB, so...better?".

What was called a "Surface phone" is very different from what Nokia has on their roadmap. Microsoft releasing their own hardware is a given, but it's not going to be called 'Surface'. Instead, it will be from Nokia's 18 month roadmap with some modifications. So equating "Surface Phone" with "Microsoft Lumia" may be correct on some semantic level, but it's not what we really mean. A "Surface phone" was through and through designed and built by MS. Microsoft buying Nokia and using their hardware design/team is hardly the same.

Maybe once the Nokia pureview phones get REAL 4k video capture (better than the fake Note 3), 3GB RAM will be useful.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I do not need anything new. Just give me the upgrade version of 1020: 5" 1080p screen, Quad core, 32GB, SD Card Slot, and 41mp Camera. I'll be happy.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Imma correct you ;P

On my Lumia 520 (512 MB of RAM), I can have 7 apps in the multi-tasking windows ("card view"). It doesn't get any better on the Lumia 1520 or 1020 with their 2 GB of RAM. That's a limitation in the OS right now.

In theory, I suppose it could be extended, like the endless version in the iPhone. But so far, Microsoft has not used RAM in such a manner for that purpose. So at least on the current paradigm, having 3 GB of RAM would not improve that situation.
I'm skeptical as well I regards to the usefulness of anything over 2GB ram. But I can't say with any solidarity that it is pointless either. I suppose developers might appreciate the extra memory...but can anyone confirm RAM usage on WP8 while performing normal functions etc? What does it take to max 2GB system memory? How much of that memery is dedicated to GPU? Or is that a separate bank of memory?

Dan, perhaps you can share with us specs that you would hope for in Nokia's next, perhaps last, flagship release? What would that ideal phone be for you? And (if you can say) do you expect any improvement to the 1020 camera in a future release? BTW, while I have your attention, thanks for the hard work.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Unfounded, ridiculous, and weird... By the way, he said the 1820 would look like the 928, not the 925. Which makes the whole thing even weirder.

Yes, NextLeaks is just wasting everyone's time. I doubt a month from now Nokia is going to announce anything like the "1820". I mean why announce something in February that isn't going to be available till September and cut your legs off by destroying 1520 sales? I mean wasn't the 1520 launched within a month of being announced in Dubai? I could see mentioning you are developing "Lytro" tech for a future phone but to dumb ALL the specs for a phone in February? Is there any precedent for such a move? I know some phones have been announced and then delayed. I just don't know of any where a 7 month delay after announcement was built in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99