03-14-2014 09:03 AM
54 123
tools
    Yea.. that makes sense since Nokia hardware is now directly related to Microsoft's software. MWC has been historically big for Nokia pre-Microsoft, but things are obviously changing.

If the Nokia deal closes by the end of March, as Nadella said yesterday, we might in fact see Microsoft branded devices at Build.. whatever that might be.. I guess no Nokia logo for starters.
    02-05-2014 04:04 PM
    I said it once, I've said it twice...NO NEW WP devices at MWC.

You guys are going to be sorely disappointed, all due to the unnecessary build up of BS rumors.

8.1 devices will come AFTER //build/, not any time before
    Ahhh. I'm thirsty for information! Help me WPCentral, you're my only hope.
    02-05-2014 04:28 PM
    Of course I'm interested in getting one! I love imaginary phones.
    02-06-2014 10:50 AM
    Microsoft and AT&T are starting a new marketing campaign:

Microsoft Will Trade Nokia Lumia Devices For Non-Windows Phone Handsets | Ubergizmo

They are trying to get Samsung and Apple users to switch to Windows ... and get rid of inventory of 1520's before they release new products? Usually, when they start giving a phone away, it is in the last stage of it's product life.
    02-07-2014 12:11 AM
    Microsoft and AT&T are starting a new marketing campaign:

Microsoft Will Trade Nokia Lumia Devices For Non-Windows Phone Handsets | Ubergizmo

They are trying to get Samsung and Apple users to switch to Windows ... and get rid of inventory of 1520's before they release new products? Usually, when they start giving a phone away, it is in the last stage of it's product life.
    Yes, they're trying to get Samsung and Apple users to switch to Windows Phone... That is the game plan. Neither the 1520 or the 1020 are in the "last stage of their product life." That's absolutely ridiculous thinking.
    02-07-2014 09:10 AM
    Neither the 1520 or the 1020 are in the "last stage of their product life." That's absolutely ridiculous thinking.
    I was trying to be positive ... and it is not "ridiculous thinking". All the PC makers dumped their touch screens with Window 7 on them, just before Window 8 was released. Even though they were all supposedly W8 compatible. I know, because I bought one from Lenovo.

The pessimistic alternative is ... W8.1 and the 1820 are many months away (like you are absolutely convinced). Nokia realizes the 1520's can not compete with the upcoming Samsung and Apple products. So, this campaign is competing with the 2 year old Apple and Samsung products.

Your dogged pessimism of the timing and future of the 1820 may turn out to be true ... but the facts are, MS needs a product to cause excitement. The much delayed 929 is not it. Without some Lumia excitement, Microsoft's purchase of Nokia will be a multi-billion dollar loss, just like Google's purchase of Motorola (which they just dumped on Lenovo)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...huge_loss.html
    02-07-2014 12:19 PM
    This may be the first Microsoft branded phone ... which would explain the extreme specs and make it worth the wait?
    Just based on some rumors I saw in another thread, I don't even know if or how accurate they are, I want it so bad!!!!! My Lumia 900 contract ends in April which could easily be the month it's released, and it sounds like the perfect fusion between the 1020 and the 1520, which were the two phones that I'm mulling over which to upgrade to!!! If a Surface 3 Pro is released later this year, this could be the best year ever (devices-wise at least)!!!!!
    02-07-2014 10:22 PM
    Daniel posted an article on 8.1, and based on the number of replies (very early on a Sunday morning), people are excited about it:

First screenshots of the Notification Center for Windows Phone 8.1 reveal new design | Windows Phone Central

With April 2nd being the build date, then the release of a new flagship phone, with 8.1 preinstalled, is around the corner!!!
    02-09-2014 06:45 AM
    Have not read anything about the 1820 in a while, but at least one website still thinks it is coming to MWC:

Nokia X Android-powered smartphone coming at Mobile World Congress | Digital Trends
    02-11-2014 02:47 PM
    The reviews of the Icon are rolling in ... and they are making me want the 1820 even more (or more accurately, the Icon even less )

With MWC just a couple weeks away, the lack of leaks on the 1820, makes me doubt it will be there ... but April 2nd is 8.1 Build Date, where we get to know what hardware changes it requires, and then June will be new phones. Hopefully the 1820 ... if not, I will most likely get the rumored iPhablet.
    02-13-2014 08:37 AM
    The 1020 has just in the last couple of days got a lot cheaper on my carrier (O2). So could be a new replacement coming..
    RichHowerton likes this.
    02-15-2014 02:12 PM
    Does it come with a Wacom digitizer and a pen? That's the only phone I am interested. Everything else it's just meaningless spec whoring, the android way.
    02-16-2014 01:20 AM
    Have not read anything about the 1820 in a while, but at least one website still thinks it is coming to MWC:

Nokia X Android-powered smartphone coming at Mobile World Congress | Digital Trends
    So just another website quoting another website who was quoting some unnamed source. All these rumors get traced back to either an idiotic source on twitter or an unknown person. How come all the leakers with a proven track record haven't said anything about this phone?
    RichHowerton likes this.
    02-18-2014 01:54 PM
    has anyone got an idea what carrier this device will come out on?
    02-18-2014 08:44 PM
    Probably AT&T. I think since it sounds like a fusion if the 1020 & 1520 that this is the most likely carrier.
    RichHowerton likes this.
    02-18-2014 09:17 PM
    I am interested. I am going to take one )
    02-19-2014 09:19 AM
    None. This device doesn't exist.
    02-19-2014 09:42 AM
    None. This device doesn't exist.
    It doesn't exist yet
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-19-2014 07:31 PM
    Really do get the feeling that apart from the Nokia X, there are no new phones coming at least until Build. There just have not been enough cross-reported leaks.
    02-20-2014 03:07 PM
    It doesn't exist yet
    It won't exist ever.
    02-20-2014 08:49 PM
    Maybe it won't be called the 1820 But I think that Nokia/Microsoft will definitely release a camera phablet with a camera even better than the 1020's.
    02-21-2014 01:38 PM
    Highly unlikely, the 1020 is the imaging flagship. It will remain THE imaging flagship until its successor comes. Its successor, not 1520's successor.

And btw, I think Daniel has already said that 1820 and 1520v don't exist.

The only confirmed devices are NL 630 and maybe Goldfinger.
    02-24-2014 02:28 AM
    I just realized that at the instant I read the sentence in the WPC article that said the green 1520 will have WP8.1 I stopped caring completely whether the 1820 will be real or not. I think this is the closest thing Windows Phone will get to the rumors of the 1820 for a long time.
    02-26-2014 12:20 AM
    I still care ...

WPC claims new phones will be released in June, with 8.1 pre-installed. WPC also did an article titled, 'Is Windows Phone 8.1 too little, too late?':

Is Windows Phone 8.1 too little, too late? | Windows Phone Central

Even they realize 8.1 alone won't save Windows phones. Microsoft needs to release a phone, so good, that even the OS critics say, 'this phone is worth moving to Windows for!'

I am pretty sure changing the color of last years model to green ... ain't gonna do it ... lol

For me, it is a race to using only one OS for PC, phone, tablet. Either the 1820, or the new larger screen iPhone. The first to the market, will get me as a customer for the next decade.
    02-26-2014 06:54 AM
    I still care ...

WPC claims new phones will be released in June, with 8.1 pre-installed. WPC also did an article titled, 'Is Windows Phone 8.1 too little, too late?':

Is Windows Phone 8.1 too little, too late? | Windows Phone Central

Even they realize 8.1 alone won't save Windows phones. Microsoft needs to release a phone, so good, that even the OS critics say, 'this phone is worth moving to Windows for!'

I am pretty sure changing the color of last years model to green ... ain't gonna do it ... lol

For me, it is a race to using only one OS for PC, phone, tablet. Either the 1820, or the new larger screen iPhone. The first to the market, will get me as a customer for the next decade.
    I just mentioned green because it's my favorite color. I think Microsoft/Nokia might start to focus on good-quality, yet low-end devices for people new to the smartphone market (why the Nokia X was made), so while making a high-end phone might attract a number of WP loyalists (myself included), it's seems more plausible for MS to produce cheaper phones instead.
    Also, the main parts of the rumor about the 1820 is it's a WP8.1 Phablet with great tech specs and a good (or better than 1020's) camera which is pretty much what the green (and additional colors) 1520 will be.

P.S. Apple will probably make the screen .1" wider or something and call it new. To me, it seems unlikely this will happen because Apple has always been making things smaller to the point of unreasonableness, but that's a different thread topic (probably) for another forum.
    02-26-2014 07:10 PM
54 123